Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing the plugs for the first time on my 08 Night Rod. The bolts for the coils were pretty tight but the plugs were firm but not overly tight. The manual calls for 23NM for plugs and 9.7NM for coil fasteners. This seems reversed based on how they felt coming out. Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve.
NGK, Autolite and AC/Delco websites state that their plugs do not require anti-seize and it's use can result in overtightening. The manual calls for anti-seize - use it for HD plugs or not?

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
i've always put anti seize on all spark plugs on any car/bike/weed eater/lawnmower anything. if you torque them to specs you won't over tighten them regardless if you use anti seize or not. some people i know don't use it some people i know do use it. i use it, have for 25+ years and never stripped a spark plug thread or overtightened a spark plug. i've yet to use a torque wrench for a spark plug.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
i've always put anti seize on all spark plugs on any car/bike/weed eater/lawnmower anything. if you torque them to specs you won't over tighten them regardless if you use anti seize or not. some people i know don't use it some people i know do use it. i use it, have for 25+ years and never stripped a spark plug thread or overtightened a spark plug. i've yet to use a torque wrench for a spark plug.
:them:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the perspectives everyone. Went ahead and put a dab of anti-seize on, torqued to spec, put it all back together and rode. We'll see what difference it makes, if any, when the plugs are changed again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I believe that any type of material (e.g. anti-seize) added to a threaded fitting (e.g. spark plugs, lug nuts) before torquing to specs will provide lubrication, which will result in a higher torque value than would be obtained if the fitting is torqued to the same specs while unlubricated. That's why most manufacturers usually specify whether or not to lubricate before torquing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts