Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Departed the Fix.
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little halp guys? I'm on my honeymoon and far, FAR from home. Big question: the past several days I've been getting a "marbles in a can" sound approaching redline at wot. Obviously Not Good. The bike is also idling "rough" and lugs/surges at low rpm settings (with constant throttle). Runs great at cruise and moderate throttle settings though. Bike is an R, has 6000 miles on it, topless, Amsoil air filter, V&H pipe and PC-V. The fun part- bike was dyno tuned at 5500' in Denver and ran great there and at Sturgis and through Banff and the Canadian Rockies. Question: could these issues be related to the bike being at sea level with a high-altitude tune? Would the PC-V compensate enough/properly? If not, any suggestions? I'm using premium fuel as always.

I'm out in the boonies with few tools and no book so a little help would be greatly appreciated- I'm a bit worried and the bike has to go a long way before it gets back home.

Thanks--

Rod

·
Registered
818 Posts
A little halp guys? I'm on my honeymoon and far, FAR from home. Big question: the past several days I've been getting a "marbles in a can" sound approaching redline at wot. Obviously Not Good. The bike is also idling "rough" and lugs/surges at low rpm settings (with constant throttle). Runs great at cruise and moderate throttle settings though. Bike is an R, has 6000 miles on it, topless, Amsoil air filter, V&H pipe and PC-V. The fun part- bike was dyno tuned at 5500' in Denver and ran great there and at Sturgis and through Banff and the Canadian Rockies. Question: could these issues be related to the bike being at sea level with a high-altitude tune? Would the PC-V compensate enough/properly? If not, any suggestions? I'm using premium fuel as always.

I'm out in the boonies with few tools and no book so a little help would be greatly appreciated- I'm a bit worried and the bike has to go a long way before it gets back home.

Thanks--

Rod
Congrats on the Honeymoon!!!!

Have you checked/accepted your trims lately? If not before you do save the map. Has it been more then one tank? Get some SeaFoam into the tank, and try another tank of fresh fuel.

The bike would be lean from home to sea level but should clean up in short order with the PC V. I see it here in Ak and sometimes I just think I wind up with a tank of fuel that may be a little old because no one wants to pay the higher cost when away from the main city centers. Here it could be 25 to 75 cents per gallon difference from Anchorage.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on the Honeymoon!!!!

Have you checked/accepted your trims lately? If not before you do save the map. Has it been more then one tank? Get some SeaFoam into the tank, and try another tank of fresh fuel.

The bike would be lean from home to sea level but should clean up in short order with the PC V. I see it here in Ak and sometimes I just think I wind up with a tank of fuel that may be a little old because no one wants to pay the higher cost when away from the main city centers. Here it could be 25 to 75 cents per gallon difference from Anchorage.
No computer with me so I can't interface with PC-V to check values, although green light is on when the bike is running. (typing on iPhone now- not fun!). Ran through several tanks of gas already with no improvement. No luck finding SeaFoam- I'm on the West Coast of BC now and it's pretty sparse. Heading back down to Seattle area in a few says, then Oregon and finally towards home. Worried about Kaboom! Factor now.

Rod

·
Departed the Fix.
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh- no AutoTune. Should have mentioned that earlier.

Rod

·
Registered
818 Posts
Oh- no AutoTune. Should have mentioned that earlier.

Rod
I also forgot you had no AT...bike could be fairly lean then and causing your issues, but if ran good and then all of a sudden I was thinking fuel issue.

Since you are typing handicapped here is a link for you to help finding Sea Foam.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/where-can-i-buy-sea-foam-products.html

This should clean out anything that maybe an issue fuel side and not have to worry about making things any leaner.

·
Isld Shite Disturber
1,040 Posts
seafoam is sold at pretty much all Napa's in BC......and use the Chevron gas as they all have the 94 oct.

btw, where abouts are you right now on the West Coast?

·
Departed the Fix.
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
seafoam is sold at pretty much all Napa's in BC......and use the Chevron gas as they all have the 94 oct.

btw, where abouts are you right now on the West Coast?
Gig Harbor, WA - Port Townsend - Port Angeles - Neah Bay - Port Angeles - ferry to Victoria BC - Port Renfrow - Lake Cowichan - Nanaimo - Courtenay - ferry to Powell River BC - another ferry - Sechelt - Gibsons - Sechelt - another ferry - Vancouver - Seattle WA - ferry to Bremerton - Gig Harbor on an "R" and Yamaha 650 Custom.

No luck on Sea Foam in Sechelt or Gibsons on a Sunday. I'll try down south when I head back to WA tomorrow.

Thanks, guys!

Rod

·
The Hawk
3,785 Posts
The old PCIII's had buttons on them where you could increase or decrease the fuel in 1% increments in the low, mid or high rpm ranges. If the PCV5 has that you could increase the fuel by a percentage or 2 where you think it needs it and see how it responds. Easy to return to zero if it doesn't work.

Mike

·
Departed the Fix.
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The old PCIII's had buttons on them where you could increase or decrease the fuel in 1% increments in the low, mid or high rpm ranges. If the PCV5 has that you could increase the fuel by a percentage or 2 where you think it needs it and see how it responds. Easy to return to zero if it doesn't work.

Mike
PC-V does not. All adjustments via laptop and USB- which are both home in Denver.

Sechelt, BC - ferry - Vancouver - Seattle - ferry - Bremerton - Gig Harbor today in the rain, rain, rain.

Joy. Brr!

Rod

·
Isld Shite Disturber
1,040 Posts
PC-V does not. All adjustments via laptop and USB- which are both home in Denver.

Sechelt, BC - ferry - Vancouver - Seattle - ferry - Bremerton - Gig Harbor today in the rain, rain, rain.

Joy. Brr!

Rod
the Napa in Parksville,Nanaimo,Courtenay and most of the bigger centers have Seafoam......but your right in those smaller area's it could be tough to find....as for the rain,, yeah she a slow soaker today...but it's very much needed,, only the 3rd time it's rained here since mid June...... bad day for riding though cuz of the dryness/heat from the past several weeks will bring the oil to the surface and make the pavement slippery as hell......ride safe and and take it slow.... and more importantly watch out for the cagers who tend to never adjust their speed on a rainy day coming off a dry spell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts