Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
pronounced "shane"
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this is the second time I've run out of gas. I knew I was low. I meant to fill up on my errands and just forgot. Serves me right. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

Anyway, here is my new addition.
http://www.rei.com/product/783962
I'm just looking for a permanent place to mount this spare fuel container. I'll likely get one of those little frame pouches and mount it to one side of the bike.

Any word on a fuel guage fix from the moco? Bueller? Bueller?

·
pronounced "shane"
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuel me once, I'll take you 100+ miles, fuel me twice or you'll think a potential bomb on board is a good idea!
Aren't we sitting on top of one already?

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
Well this is the second time I've run out of gas. I knew I was low. I meant to fill up on my errands and just forgot. Serves me right. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

Anyway, here is my new addition.
http://www.rei.com/product/783962
I'm just looking for a permanent place to mount this spare fuel container. I'll likely get one of those little frame pouches and mount it to one side of the bike.

Any word on a fuel guage fix from the moco? Bueller? Bueller?
You want one of these:
http://www.touratech.com/shops/008/...=4623&osCsid=34acca4935d3ca78f98e551677edff7c

Steve

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Better idea: watch the gauge/mileage. :D

Br careful when opening that thing after riding and in the heat, it's gonna pop-off on you. Also touch it to the ground before you do anything and ground ant static electricity.

·
Non-stop-rider
889 Posts
I agree with these guys. That's a great bottle, I have one myself, but I only carry it when I'm doing some serious miles in the middle of now where.

·
pronounced "shane"
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fuel me once, I'll take you 100+ miles, fuel me twice or you'll think a potential bomb on board is a good idea!
Then wouldn't somebody's aluminum gas tank (non v-rod, obviously) be a potential bomb everytime they drop their bike?

·
pronounced "shane"
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Better idea: watch the gauge/mileage. :D

Br careful when opening that thing after riding and in the heat, it's gonna pop-off on you. Also touch it to the ground before you do anything and ground ant static electricity.
Even w/an aluminum bottle?

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
I also run a BMW GS and extra fuel is carried all the time by thousands of GS riders - its essential if you are in out of the way places.
Obviously you take care to mount it where it won't be scraping the road in the event of a spill but there is nothing dangerous in carrying spare fuel cans in itself.
Steve

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would just get used to setting the trip odometer and watching it. I found a tank to take me between 140 to 150 miles.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
I would just get used to setting the trip odometer and watching it. I found a tank to take me between 140 to 150 miles.
It can't get any fockin' easier with these bikes, odometer, trip odometer, gauges.

Back in the day - no odometer, no gas gauge, no idea how far we went or what kind of mileage we got.

How the fock did we do it!!!:banghead:

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Be careful when opening that thing after riding and in the heat, it's gonna pop-off on you. Also touch it to the ground before you do anything and ground ant static electricity.
these containers have a pressure relief valve built into the lid. I've been riding with mine for about 2 years and never an issue. Capngeo has been using them even longer without issue, and he's a FF.
I carry mine inside the small bag that's on my passenger pillion.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It can't get any fockin' easier with these bikes, odometer, trip odometer, gauges.

Back in the day - no odometer, no gas gauge, no idea how far we went or what kind of mileage we got.

How the fock did we do it!!!:banghead:
Because back in the day, we had carbs with a fuel shut off that had a reserve. Ride till you run out then flip to reserve and go fuel up. :moped:

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
these containers have a pressure relief valve built into the lid. I've been riding with mine for about 2 years and never an issue. Capngeo has been using them even longer without issue, and he's a FF.
I carry mine inside the small bag that's on my passenger pillion.
Yes because yours was made for it, I didn't think his was.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Because back in the day, we had carbs with a fuel shut off that had a reserve. Ride till you run out then flip to reserve and go fuel up. :moped:
Not all of them did, only the double tanks! My sporty didn't and it held about 1-1/2 gallons.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My 75 sporty did have the reserve. The reserve was built into the shut off not the tank. Had a short pipe sticking up about 1 1/2 inches on the regular side of the shut off. When gas got below that, you switched to reserve. :D

·
Registered
600 Posts
My 75 sporty did have the reserve. The reserve was built into the shut off not the tank. Had a short pipe sticking up about 1 1/2 inches on the regular side of the shut off. When gas got below that, you switched to reserve. :D
Yep that is exactly the way my 85 Yamy RX50 was set up. However it does no good when some idiot puts sand in your gas tank.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts