Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Where's Max?
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,
We've got between a 400 and 600 mile ride for those living in the Southern New Mexico, West Texas, (and if any of you Arizonians want to come).

Who: see above (all welcome)
What: see above
Why: Why not?
Where: see below
When: September 9th
How: 2 wheels, maybe 3 if you've got a trike :p

Planned Route:

Start: Barnett Harley Davidson, Las Cruces, NM
I-10 Exit 140 Go Southwest on Ave de Mesilla, cant miss it on the Right.
Meet here at 9am.

Route: 185 North out of Cruces, to Hatch,
West on 26 to Nutt
North on 27 to Hillsboro
West on 152 to San Lorenzo
South on 61 to 180 (unless anyone is low on fuel) see * below
South 180 to Deming.
Here we have a descision to make, Either Continue South on 11 to Columbus.
And take Hwy 9 West to El Paso or if fatigue and time are a problem, we can just take I-10 back.

* = if fuel low for anyone, we can continue on 152 to Bayrd to get gas.
At any rate, it'll be 180 South to Deming.

We'll be stopping at the City of Rocks for lunch. (cookout?)
Post if you want to join us. If there's enough interest we might even start the ride on Saturday the 8th, and camp out overnight near Lake Roberts. Alrighty then, I'm out!

-Bill

·
Not in EP anymore
1,693 Posts
I'll definetly try to do this ride with you all. I'm up for the ride thru Columbus down to EP. It'll complete the circle for me.

·
Where's Max?
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice, invite your friends that rode with us last time. Just cause they don't have a V doesn't mean they should miss out on the scenery. Have invited some folks from work as well.

-Bill

p.s. PM me, we'll exchange #'s easier to contact me that way.

·
Where's Max?
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
?! bump!

·
Where's Max?
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, post has been here for almost a month. Only ones with the VR's that are interested are Steven and I? That's just :yak: C'est la vie!

·
Registered
414 Posts
If nothing else I'll ride to Cruces and meet at Barnetts. Maybe go to the restaurant across the street for a cold one.

·
Where's Max?
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finalization

Ok.

I just rode the route today, it's going to be about 350 miles.

Lunch is going to be around 1pm when we get to the City of Rocks. My wife is going to meet us there and will be cookin for us, hopefully she'll get it timed right so that we can all have a hot meal and cold drinks :

You will need to bring your own gas money. (i know, i know, heheheh, just makin sure it was said :p ) With the test ride I did today I _could have_ gone from Las Cruces all the way to Deming on 1 tank (4.6 gallons) Although we will be stopping in Hillsboro (approx 100 miles from Las Cruces) for gas. Bad news: They don't have premium, only regular unleaded...

Bring $5 to get into the City of Rocks State Park, there is an asshole park ranger that goes around there ALL the time checking permits, (prolly wont have a job there much longer, after what he did to Adian and I tonight) Anyhow, $5 for the permit... Also, since I've decided to do the cookout instead of having everyone stop somewhere for lunch and have to pay for a ? quality meal, please bring $5 for lunch (helps to cover the costs of food)

Ok... That should cover it. Meet at Barnett's at 9am, we are leaving at 930am.

p.s. Cruizer, if you wanna meet us at the City of Rocks, that's fine, you can ride with us back to Cruces... Would love to see a turbo rod in person :)

-Bill

·
Where's Max?
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ride came, Ride went. Rain came, we got drenched!

So, the only people that showed were,
Me: VRSCR
Mark: Yamaha Roadliner
Adian: Kawazaki Ninja 250
Manny: Kawazaki Ninja 650R
Robert: Kawazaki Ninja 750 Super Sport

So, the 750 was arguably the best performing motorcycle out there, It should have been the one leaving the rest of us in the dust. Unfortunately the person that was riding it, was a complete :lamer: He said the bike wasn't handling properly, so I followed behind him... Motorcycle Riding 101 please?! on every curve, he would let off the throttle and attempt to use the handlebars to steer the bike, he was afraid of leaning it in the slightest! When we came to a stop, i questioned him about his riding experience. He stated that all his experience was in Arizona on straight roads. I was inclined to be a little lenient on him at this point due to lack of experience. Then when we got on the straight roads, he wouldn't keep up with the pack. Now I was doing from 10 under to 5 over the limit, never more. He kept falling behind. Again he blamed the bike. So, Manny switched Bikes with him, Manny used the 750 to it's potential, made it a bit hard for me to keep up with him... Whereas Robert again fell behind the pack. We pulled over, and the first words out of his mouth were, Manny, I think there's something wrong with your bike! At this point I was in disbelief. I didn't know what to do. I do know one thing tho, he will never ride with us again, not until he takes the MSF course.

And for the last 60 miles of the trip, we hit a massive downpour! some slight hail, camped under a overpass for just over an hour, and then finally outran the storm...

Everyone met at my house. manny and robert had to go to el paso, so they left, not 2 minutes later, Robert called. Manny went down! Stupid neighbor's dog ran directly in front of him at the last minute! He went down, hard. Owner of the dog came outside, saw the accident, grabbed the dog, and ran back indoors. Didn't even offer help! I showed up, Bike has minor damage, (pictures pending) manny took a trip to the ER, no broken bones... Lawyer retained, Law Suit pending...
Ya'll missed one helluva exciting day!

on a side note. someone else from this area has to plan the trips from now on, no one ever shows to mine :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts