Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I get one? What did you guys use? Or should I just buy a craftsman socket and start grinding?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LIUNARep said:
If you are speaking of the rear axle, it is a 36mm. I picked one up at Sears.
Thanks for fast the reply. I am actually after a socket for the front pulley.

I think I need a "thin wall" 30mm socket based on some posts here, just wondering where I can get one or if I need to mod a normal socket to make it work.

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
TRy Advance Auto or a car parts dealer. If no louck try Matco, Snap On or Mac Tools online. They will give you a local dealer to contact.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turned out not to be so hard. I just bought a 12point 1/2" drive 30mm from sears and it fit fine. I think the main issue is if you have an impact set it's not going to work. My 3/4 drive was way too big to work.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
TxNightRox said:
Turned out not to be so hard. I just bought a 12point 1/2" drive 30mm from sears and it fit fine. I think the main issue is if you have an impact set it's not going to work. My 3/4 drive was way too big to work.
You have a 3/4 drive Impact Driver? I'm jealous. I have a 1/2 and a 3/8 and I thought I was on easy street!

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
TxNightRox said:

I used a 30mm impact socket from Snap-on and it worked fine.

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
Just be carefull with a 12 point socket.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Main thing to do is remove the little metal gasket retainer and you should be fine, that lets the socket go much deeper.

BTW this is do-able without air tools if anyone feels up to it (loaned my compressor to my dad, he does more tooling around than me and he lives pretty far away). You have to use something to keep the bike from rolling forward when you are working on getting the bolt off, if you have air tools I bet you can avoid this. I used some wheel chocks that I use for changing the oil on my car. Which is why the above poster recommended the 6 point and after doing the work I would as well. I just had my bike in the air and wanted it back on the ground so I took what they had.

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
Impact wrenches, ha! Pony up and eat your Wheaties!

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
I wase already wondering how to make somthing that holds the pully ,but if i put the front wheel to a wall and put the missus up, than i think i can get it loose. But does this trick also works torcking up ???

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
groovy V-Rod said:
If I'm not mistaken, the manual says NOT to use an impact as you will damage the output shaft !!!
I know. But it hasn't stopped me yet. I shouldn't use it to change the clutch either, but its' SOOOO much easier. ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ANNIEZZ said:
I wase already wondering how to make somthing that holds the pully ,but if i put the front wheel to a wall and put the missus up, than i think i can get it loose. But does this trick also works torcking up ???
Yep, a wall may have been easier since it would not move at all, using the chocks it would move a few inches before locking in place.

I just used the wheel chock on the other side of the wheel to tighten her back up.

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
I didn't use an impact gun on mine even though I have an impact socket. I just used a nice long 1/2 ratchet and it came of with a couple of good whacks. Pretty easy actually. Same thing with the rear axel.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
You guys do realize that your bikes came from the factory with brakes right? I loosened and tourqed mine, by myself, sitting on the bike and holding the rear brake...duh...

·
Registered
964 Posts
so if I need to change out both wheels what special tools will I need. Do I need to take of the drive pully or not.

I am getting a set from jerry with a new pully and rotors all ready on them....so what tools do I need now?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts