Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2004 Harley Davidson VRSCA
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey friends, New to the forum and I appreciate any info you can give me. I've bought this 2004 VRSCA sight unseen. I'm picking it up in two weeks. I was just wondering if something sounds "Off" to any of you?. I'm not afraid of putting work in to get the bike I want but I hope it's not some fatal problem. Thanks again

· Registered
6,471 Posts
Hey friends, New to the forum and I appreciate any info you can give me. I've bought this 2004 VRSCA sight unseen. I'm picking it up in two weeks. I was just wondering if something sounds "Off" to any of you?. I'm not afraid of putting work in to get the bike I want but I hope it's not some fatal problem. Thanks again

Sounds off, yes. Scared the shit out of me. Hard to tell what it is from the vid.
Ron

· Registered
589 Posts
My 03 doesn't sound anything like this one.The whine in this one seems to be exceptionally loud. Has a bit of a screeching sound to it. I wish I could tell you what it is. I'm sure someone on here has some experience with it. Lot's of VROD's for sale out there. It's good to be enthusiastic about the bike. But it might be better to buy the bike you want instead of working to get it. With all the options out there. Why purchase a problem?

· Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Not the drive belt if bikes not moving - How about a loose fan belt ? :ROFLMAO: They all have a bit of a whistle / whine or whatever you want to call it - and it looks like it runs out real good and sounds OK at higher revs - might be a loose intake boot/gasket or the small tubing cap on the side of the throttle body causing an air leak and the sound. Look around while you listen. Is this a private or shop that sold it to you ? Have them look at it while you wait to pick it up - sound might be something simple if not and you already bought it well, it's yours to find out unless you got a 3 day return policy in your state. Hope it's something simple bike looks very nice hard to imagine it's a fatal flaw - Good Luck with it ! (y):cool:

· Registered
263 Posts
Mine has a pretty significant "whine" to it (2006 Night Rod). Was really quite puzzling to me, as I'd never heard a Harley sound that way, but this one sounds about the same. It's hard to tell from the video quality, but it seems to run just fine. I ended up putting a Vance and Hines 2 into 1 competition exhaust on, and I don't hear the whine anymore!:cool:

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 03 doesn't sound anything like this one.The whine in this one seems to be exceptionally loud. Has a bit of a screeching sound to it. I wish I could tell you what it is. I'm sure someone on here has some experience with it. Lot's of VROD's for sale out there. It's good to be enthusiastic about the bike. But it might be better to buy the bike you want instead of working to get it. With all the options out there. Why purchase a problem?
You are absolutely right. There are options out there but I got a very good deal (hope it's worth it :) ) and I plan on breaking her down and rebuilding her as a project with my Son. Eventually she'll be a very reliable replacement for my current ride I think. Thank You friend.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not the drive belt if bikes not moving - How about a loose fan belt ? :ROFLMAO: They all have a bit of a whistle / whine or whatever you want to call it - and it looks like it runs out real good and sounds OK at higher revs - might be a loose intake boot/gasket or the small tubing cap on the side of the throttle body causing an air leak and the sound. Look around while you listen. Is this a private or shop that sold it to you ? Have them look at it while you wait to pick it up - sound might be something simple if not and you already bought it well, it's yours to find out unless you got a 3 day return policy in your state. Hope it's something simple bike looks very nice hard to imagine it's a fatal flaw - Good Luck with it ! (y):cool:
lol :) I know that my Mustang squealed like a stuck pig for a while so with this beast being belt driven I wasn't sure. I appreciate the info and I'll certainly check all those points. I had hoped perhaps it was because she hadn't been ridden in a while but she does sound good when she gets opened up. I think no matter what she'll be worth what I paid and will be a fun learning experience working on her. I'm certainly gonna keep looking around too, if one is good two is better :sneaky:

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine has a pretty significant "whine" to it (2006 Night Rod). Was really quite puzzling to me, as I'd never heard a Harley sound that way, but this one sounds about the same. It's hard to tell from the video quality, but it seems to run just fine. I ended up putting a Vance and Hines 2 into 1 competition exhaust on, and I don't hear the whine anymore!:cool:
Yeah, she seems to run great and sounds great once she opens up. I had thought about the V&H so I may lean towards that. Would you say you get a better sound out of that compared to the Screaming Eagle exhaust? Any added horsepower> Thank you friend glad I'm not the only one to say "What the F**k was that sound". 🤣

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine has a bit of "whine" that has been mentioned. IMO I think it is the phone mic that is picking up that crappy sound. No way to tell until up close and personal with the bike.
I had thought the same thing and I hope that is the issue. Have you figured out what was causing the "whine" in yours? Thank you my friend.(y)

· Premium Member
3,288 Posts
If you go listen to different V Rod exhaust systems on YouTube you'll hear the whine / whistle especially with idle speed and when lightly revved on pretty much all of them. Might be the air going past the throttle blades as you got two large pistons trying to suck in enough air to stay running across two very narrow slits of openings between the blades and throttle bodies. Some bikes are more noticeable especially the quieter the exhaust is. When I hear that it sounds like a good running engine where that sound is amplified by the audio pickup in the video. As mentioned the louder the exhaust the less it's noticed but it's still there. I really don't think there's anything wrong, just check for air leaks, air filter fully seated ( someone may have had the battery out and not properly seated the airbox/filter - if so also check the fwd. and aft cylinder breather hoses where they slide into the airbox - they will spit oil on everything - happened to me when I bought my R straight out of a H-D shop for a new battery by the prior owner ) do your due diligence and go ride her and have some fun Warange176 ! (y):cool:

· Registered
6,471 Posts
The whine is from the gear lash of the crank and clutch hub. I had some when new but it's barely noticeable any more. The only other place it can come from is the secondary chain tensioner shoes. Primary drive gearing is on the right side, secondary chains on the left side. Steth it to see which side it"s coming from.
Ron

· Premium Member
3,288 Posts
To me it always seems to come from the engines right side and the clutch has the lash reducing thin gear Ron so you'd think that would reduce gear whine to about 0 but maybe not at idle speed & slightly above ? It just sounds normal to me just the natural sound of the engine in a good state of tune. His is just more so due to the audio pickup on the video I believe but I'd have to hear it in person to say for sure. Yea, listen to the clutch side case, water pump, throttle bodies to narrow it down but I really don't think it's a fatal flaw as mentioned. Check everything out then fly it and watch it -

· Registered
6,471 Posts
To me it always seems to come from the engines right side and the clutch has the lash reducing thin gear Ron so you'd think that would reduce gear whine to about 0 but maybe not at idle speed & slightly above ? It just sounds normal to me just the natural sound of the engine in a good state of tune. His is just more so due to the audio pickup on the video I believe but I'd have to hear it in person to say for sure. Yea, listen to the clutch side case, water pump, throttle bodies to narrow it down but I really don't think it's a fatal flaw as mentioned. Check everything out then fly it and watch it -
The scissor gear will take out chatter but the whine will still be there. Just the nature of straight cut gears. The tighter the mesh, the louder the whine. It should be harmless. I really have to listen for my whine now but I remember it being quite noticeable when the bike was new, moslty coasting in light loads and a bit at idle. Most Jap bikes, Honda , Yamaha twins are much more noticeable with a lower pitch in tone to them , especially at idle.
Ron

· Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Warange176 how many miles on that '04A bike ? How long since an oil change ? Ron maybe it's low mileage like yours was ( when new ) and noisier like it was at that time ? I have little reference mine had right at 12K miles when I bought it, it had a little whine like that with the original 50 Lb 2-1-2 quiet exhaust system but that didn't last too long and now with a Bub 7 and 30K I really don't hear it anymore. If that were my new to me bike I'd change oil & filter, go Amsoil 20-50 V Twin and see if that quiets it down. It should. They might have H-D Citgo Syn 3 in it not the best oil. I'd also cut the old oil filter open and check for metal debris. If all OK just ride the shinola out of it ! (y):cool:

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you go listen to different V Rod exhaust systems on YouTube you'll hear the whine / whistle especially with idle speed and when lightly revved on pretty much all of them. Might be the air going past the throttle blades as you got two large pistons trying to suck in enough air to stay running across two very narrow slits of openings between the blades and throttle bodies. Some bikes are more noticeable especially the quieter the exhaust is. When I hear that it sounds like a good running engine where that sound is amplified by the audio pickup in the video. As mentioned the louder the exhaust the less it's noticed but it's still there. I really don't think there's anything wrong, just check for air leaks, air filter fully seated ( someone may have had the battery out and not properly seated the airbox/filter - if so also check the fwd. and aft cylinder breather hoses where they slide into the airbox - they will spit oil on everything - happened to me when I bought my R straight out of a H-D shop for a new battery by the prior owner ) do your due diligence and go ride her and have some fun Warange176 ! (y):cool:
Thank you. I watched a few videos and apparently with the Screamin' Eagle exhausts they all have that signifigant whine.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The whine is from the gear lash of the crank and clutch hub. I had some when new but it's barely noticeable any more. The only other place it can come from is the secondary chain tensioner shoes. Primary drive gearing is on the right side, secondary chains on the left side. Steth it to see which side it"s coming from.
Ron
Awesome info, Thank You.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.