Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
DeltaSS
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, its 5:00AM, on my way to work this morning, blacker than the hubs of hell and just as I reach the end of town I see the headlight dim slightly. ??? WTF? Shortly thereafter it comes back on brightly....as I continue on it repeats...so I begin to time it....dim for about 7-8 seconds then back on brightly for 2-3 seconds....I goes like this all the way to work, about 20 miles. I have never noticed this before and it is one of those things that makes you go.....hmmmm... looking for thoughts and ideas.....

·
Registered
600 Posts
You joined the forum in 04 so I am guessing your bike is at least that old. That makes me wonder about the battery. Five years is all I would expect for the life of a battery. You live in socal so I am sure you have lots of miles on it. If you have replaced it I would start by checking the usual suspects; make sure the battery cables and all of the ground wires are clean and tight. I believe the next step would be the voltage regulator but I have not heard of them being a problem.

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
did the bike lose any power when the headlight was surging? have you checked the bulb? have you checked the ground connections? the ground for the lights should be checked also... let us know...

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
did you try going from low to high beam and seeing if it still happened? the headlight bulb has its own ground and that should be checked along with the bulb...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Happened to me once. Pulled over, did 50 jumping jacks and a shot of Red Bull. Problem solved.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
check the charge rate on the regulator.the regulator may be dieing .check the wiring terminals at the regulator,and battery.check all earths.

·
DeltaSS
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
checked the low beam this AM, does it there too. I will be gone Jeepin' for the next 5 days so I will check grounds and whatnot upon my return....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts