Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the quietest non-stock exhaust is?

The LEO's are setting up road blocks and writing tickets for too loud exhausts in a few towns around me and its only a matter of time before I get nicked.

I hate to have to put the big heavy stock cans back on my 08 DX, so I'm looking for alternatives.

There are plenty of threads about the loudest, but I couldn't find anything on quiet non-OEM pipes.

Thanks and the money starved towns around you are probably going to be doing this soon too. :banghead:

·
Registered
62 Posts
The Vance & Hines Widow slip ons are very quiet in my opinion, and i love the look.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has anyone here listened to both of these sets and can tell which are quieter? How many discs would be best on the supertrapp for quietness?

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
6 discs in a V5 is pretty quiet. I made a muffler from a yosimura racing exhaust, and an 400 dollar custom made carbon fiber cannister. Weighs next to nothing, quieter than stock, and did not seem to hurt the supercharger. PM for pictures. Joe

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
The Vance & Hines Widow slip ons are very quiet in my opinion, and i love the look.
They're actually quite loud - according to folks that ride with me, and my NEIGHBORS. Though not as loud (I'm sure) as the open drag style (CFR, Bub, etc.) I've seen others here running.

I'm switching to the V&H VRSC 2:1 setup

Both for looks, sound and performance (want a 2:1 with a little more backpressure than the widow slipons or open pipes), and the upswept pipe will keep my from DRAGGING it.

If these work out, I'll have a NEW (in box/extra/spare) set if the Widows going up for sale...

·
It's Only Money
1,321 Posts
I consider the V&H 2n1 a middle of the road pipe. It has a good bark when you get on it, but it is way quieter than other after markets I've seen on V-Rods. I haven't heard a Supertrap on a Rod, but I would guess that they would be in same general range of sound (depending on the number of disks of course). I like the 2n1 because it is loud enough to be heard by the distracted cagers, but not so loud that it draws attention to me. I have tried to drag the 2n1 to no avail. I know a lot of folks complain that the 2n1 looks too sport bike-ish, but I like real world functionality over some sort of V-Rod "style". In fact I like the way it looks and the weight loss over the stockers is a plus too. The pipe has been on the bike for over 3 years and has about 10K mikes on it with no fitment or chrome issues to date.

·
You Betcha!
17 Posts

The LEO's are setting up road blocks and writing tickets for too loud exhausts in a few towns around me and its only a matter of time before I get nicked.

I hate to have to put the big heavy stock cans back on my 08 DX, so I'm looking for alternatives.

There are plenty of threads about the loudest, but I couldn't find anything on quiet non-OEM pipes.

Thanks and the money starved towns around you are probably going to be doing this soon too. :banghead:
Stainless Cones?...I want to get CFR or maybe BUB7 2 into 1s Both? have reverse cone tech and there is a company that sells cones that, perhaps could be added after the stock insert cones for less noise... thinking of trying this if the muffler I pick, turns out to be too loud?

Those other mufflers have packing that needs to be replaced every once in awhile, for added cost?
Below is the site for stainless cones only:

http://www.jegs.com/p/Dynatech/Dynatech-Vortex-Insert-Cones/750014/10002/-1

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
We had a noise bylaw go into effect here last years as well. I talked to a local pipe builder and he said any pipe could be made quiet with custom baffles. So stick with a pipe you like and find a pipe builder to make you some baffles to fit it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
tried a couple different ones, and Id definately recommend Supertrapp Slip ons.

·
Registered
88 Posts

If you are looking for an exhaust that is quiet and preserves performance why not try a european street legal system?
Remus or Sebring for mufflers, QuatD or BSL complete exhausts.
IMO Black Remus Cans are super cool looking on a DX and significantly louder / better sounding than stock even in legal trim (they have removable baffles).

Just my :2cents:

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Dupe's on the "noise level" thread...

Have the V&H 2:1 (17555 for the DX, use '08 exhaust gaskets). Mine came in yesterday ($389 at powersportsuperstore.com versus $789), going out for ceramic coating (blackout) today. This pipe has a baffle, with standard fiberglass packing.

Should be quieter (WAY) than the Widows (which have packing, but no baffle), and deeper than unbaffled pipes. Almost went with the Supertrapp, but they sound kinda thin, tinny & hollow.

Plus the added benefit of the upswept pipe decreases the likelihood I'm ever gonna make sparks fly with this one.

Rick

·
a black one.
388 Posts
I got my standard silencers cut in half? Its a deeper-burble. It doesnt alter the preformance or the mpg and no, the noize doesnt upset the neighbours?

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
2:1 on and SWEET!

Nice deep/low resonant tone, much quieter than Widows at idle & cruise, and barks like a Saint Bernard when you whack it.

WOOF WOOF...

Ordering a 2nd one next week to have a spare set & experiment with some install mods and a different coating for the heat shields.

New-in-box set of V&H Widows Slipons for sale (my spare set)...

Rick

·
Registered
291 Posts
The Widows with the stock air cleaner and no tuner will run fairly quite. The Super Trapps will give you the best options with the disc setup.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts