Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are like me you like to look at this stuff. This is an engine I just bought, yes I knew it was broke but did not know exactly what but took the chance. It is a 2008 VRSCDX 1250 engine with approximately 5000 miles on it. I am totally pleased with what I found. The only damage I can find is the rods, rod bearings, and crank. All other bearings and bushings are in pristine condition.

BTW: An entire engine an be tore down to nothing is 28 minutes including a potty break.

Inside the oil pan.

Heat marks on the rods

Heat marks on the crank. Notice how great the main journals look.

Rod bearings worn thin as razor blades. Notice the one on right looks to have 2 layers. That is actually the 2 bearing shells spun on top of each other.

One rod bearing seized in one of the rods

The rod from the layered bearings.

And finally the crank.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
What would have caused that damage? Low oil?

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What would have caused that damage? Low oil?
Yeah, considering the lack of other damage and the rod bearings being so oil pressure sensitive I would say it was run low. The oil pump looked great with barely minimal wear.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Looks like someone ran it with 3 1/2 qts of oil, instead of 5!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Makes me wonder............

If it happened during a drag race and the rider just refused to let off or was it because of super loud pipes that he couldn't hear the carnage happening below. There was obviously a lubrication issue but there had to be one hell of allot of racket when it happened. It boggles my mind that anyone could do that to an engine with only 5K miles on it, especially a Revolution engine with a rev limiter.
Ed

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it happened during a drag race and the rider just refused to let off or was it because of super loud pipes that he couldn't hear the carnage happening below. There was obviously a lubrication issue but there had to be one hell of allot of racket when it happened. It boggles my mind that anyone could do that to an engine with only 5K miles on it, especially a Revolution engine with a rev limiter.
Ed

Nope. Said he borrowed it to his brother for a day and he brought it back saying it did not sounds right. :spank: It ran but not well. Go figure! Putting different engine in bike cause dealer wanted almost as much to repair this one.

·
Noel
4,605 Posts
Ken,

Did you pull the oil pump pressure regulator apart?
Was it clean?
Hope there were no micro scratches on the piston, if so replace it.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
You need an engine I have one for you. :D

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
If you are like me you like to look at this stuff. This is an engine I just bought, yes I knew it was broke but did not know exactly what but took the chance. It is a 2008 VRSCDX 1250 engine with approximately 5000 miles on it. I am totally pleased with what I found. The only damage I can find is the rods, rod bearings, and crank. All other bearings and bushings are in pristine condition.

BTW: An entire engine an be tore down to nothing is 28 minutes including a potty break.

Inside the oil pan.

Heat marks on the rods

Heat marks on the crank. Notice how great the main journals look.

Rod bearings worn thin as razor blades. Notice the one on right looks to have 2 layers. That is actually the 2 bearing shells spun on top of each other.

One rod bearing seized in one of the rods

The rod from the layered bearings.

And finally the crank.

it is amazing how far some people can go with an engine just tearing itself apart .. awhile back i worked on jetski`s and a guy said his had a small missfire when running.. on a 3 cyl engine the center hole had no cyl wall left no piston , and only about an inch of connecting rod left on the crank.. the rod had cut all the way through the engine cases and the steel mounting plate under the motor.. it also cut about an inch into the cyl block which was the only thing holding the front part of the case to the back half.. it even got the center carburator.. i imagine the miss was fairly loud..

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ken,

Did you pull the oil pump pressure regulator apart?
Was it clean?
I pulled everything apart. What you see in the pics is the extent of the damage. I could not believe it.

You need an engine I have one for you. :D
I need another engine like a hole in my head.

Well........ whatcha got? :D

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
the one we built. :D

·
'04 1300
3,071 Posts
If I were a betting man, I'd bet that the stock pistons weren't ever in the plans for this motor :)

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Thanks for posting pic's, that's nasty :)... It wasn't going to take much more before that rod would have exploded... Makes you wonder bout people sometimes, 5k on a motor and it's toasted... How long does it take to check oil levels? :)... So what you going to do with this motor?

·
Noel
4,605 Posts
If I were a betting man, I'd bet that the stock pistons weren't ever in the plans for this motor :)
Actually I was referring to the Oil Pump, the regulator piston might be a culprit in low pressure issues (my own Speculation).

Here are a couple of shots of what I replaced in my pump after spinning a bearing.

Attachments

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,431 Posts
Damn..

...that makes me cringe.. I can hear that motor yelling "STOP!!! YOU'RE KILLING ME"!
That operator HAD to hear wierd sounds...some people are just clueless. :chair:

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
Sniff Sniff... you guys smell that? Smells just like a 250HP motor project to me.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts