Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First....does the VRod require a unique battery?

I went home from work just now for lunch. I was going to ride the V back to work, but it wouldn't start. I have AM switch covers and the right side makes the ignition button stubborn. I had never noticed a problem with the starter button. I think when I went for a 30-minute ride last night, the starter button got stuck in the on (start) position, and then thru the night (w/no key in the ignition).

Anyway, when I move the key to the start positon, the gauges come to life as usual and the headlight comes on, but when I push the starter button, all I get is a clicking noise from under the airbox cover.

If the starter button was stuck in the "on" position during that ride, might the battery have been drained? Or would the magneto (or alt in the V?) have maintained its charge? Blown fuse?

Do our batteries recharge effectively?

Thanks

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
MegaZ said:
First....does the VRod require a unique battery?

I went home from work just now for lunch. I was going to ride the V back to work, but it wouldn't start. I have AM switch covers and the right side makes the ignition button stubborn. I had never noticed a problem with the starter button. I think when I went for a 30-minute ride last night, the starter button got stuck in the on (start) position, and then thru the night (w/no key in the ignition).

Anyway, when I move the key to the start positon, the gauges come to life as usual and the headlight comes on, but when I push the starter button, all I get is a clicking noise from under the airbox cover.

If the starter button was stuck in the "on" position during that ride, might the battery have been drained? Or would the magneto (or alt in the V?) have maintained its charge? Blown fuse?

Do our batteries recharge effectively?

Thanks

If the starter button was stuck during your ride the generator should have still created more then it was using. The reason I say that is the starter amperage won't be nearly as high with no load on it so it all most free spins. The solenoid takes as much power in that case as the starter does. Now if the key was out then the starter should not have even tried to make contact so sticking with the key out shouldn't be an issue either. The clicking could very well be the starter relay bad or it could be the wires at the starter solenoid that are the issue or of course it could just be a bad battery. If you have a volt meter it is easy to tell which it is by checking voltage while you try to start the bike.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fuses are good. I removed the ignition fuse and the clicking noise over the rear cylinder stopped, then replaced it. But even on a charger, the bike wouldn't start. I'll buy a voltmeter tomorrow and check it out. I need a new battery anyway, since I believe my bogging issues are power-related. But I think you may be right and it's a relay or solenoid (hope not). Don't solenoids click like that when underpowered?...I know my Z's does.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This solenoid is bad...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts