Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Autobanmod
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stock seat is killing me, I had some nasty stuff going on and a couple of surgeries. Too much pressure, too much weight.

So now I'm really considering installing a vintage type solo saddle, placed an order at e-bay.

Has anyone already made such a conversion? I would really appreciate some photos and advise how to attach it to the frame and if I should use springs.
Also I'd like to know if it's safe, my bike has 200 RWHP and I don't want to slip off the bike while accelerating or at high speed on the autobahn....

Jan

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,800 Posts
I want to try that, too. My favorite seat ever was a solo saddle (still available from HD for 139.00) which I used on 5 bikes. You won't need springs. Wider is better for seats. I think relocating all the bits will be the hard part. A small cover over the fender cut out, and a way to move the seat for gas tank access. Keep us posted. Joe

·
Autobanmod
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spent the last couple of hours in the think tank and now I have a concept:

I will use the stock seat base plate (actually it looks not too bad without the foam, the corners are rounded) and make a flat cover out of 4mm aluminium plate for it, it will follow the contours closely and will later be used for attaching the new saddle. The back rest will be cut off almost completely.
I stripped off the rear passenger seat and brought it into a new shape (much lower now, a coarse wood file worked wonders on the foam).
The benefits are:
- no relocation of the TSSM
-easy to make
- unique design
- I will still be able to use the stock seat locking mechanism and flip the whole thing at the gas station
- I will still have a passenger seat

It will rock (I think) :D

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I've been looking for a solo/saddle style seat myself. I have the stock seat to use for the seat pan. The Sundowner is ok for a while, way better than stock so I'm not going to butcher it up. The old stock seat will be history soon though when i can find someting to try.

If you guys come up with something post some pictures.

·
Premium Member
10,800 Posts
Go jan go!!

·
Autobanmod
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some photos to show what I've been doing yesterday and today, it's by far not finished but I wanted to test it before I put more work into it.
Weather was good and my cousin showed up with his muscle-rod...
To make it short:

Pro:
It's definitely more comfortable compared to the stock A-Model seat.

Contra:
This saddle is too small for me, the width is just about 32cm (1 ft).
And it's not turbo-safe, I slip off when accelerating hard, saddle needs to be trimmed.

The riding position is higher than stock, relaxed legs but the handling is different, center of gravity is higher.

Next step will be to try and have a seat / saddle handmade for my butt (with antislip sheet), bring the base plate and holders into shape (cleanup and lower the lot a bit) and paintjob. Protection for the edges. New cover for sozius seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. I'm going with a little different style but you'vegiven me some ideas.

·
Autobanmod
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I swapped bikes with my cousin yesterday, the stock seat of the muscle is quite ok.
Maybe this is an alternative.

·
Premium Member
10,800 Posts
Great start. Wider is better. Sharkskin - you won't slide. Muscle seats are too small. Joe

·
Autobanmod
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I brought the seat baseplate to a saddler, we decided to build up a new seatbench instead of using a saddle. The solution will probably be a mixture of the VRSCA and VRSCF seat.
Will post some pictures when it's done, meanwhile thanks for your comments.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts