Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Jimaroo, looking forward to hearing how this goes for you. I have been looking at that brace too, but haven't really been sold on it yet.
Greg

· Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
I can't give you an engineering reply, but I acn give you another example...
I have raced bicycles, and for aerodynamics, a solid disk wheel is best. They are frequently used on front an rear for indoor track racing- because there is no wind. Outdoors, it is common to use a disk rear with a spoked front, either conventional spokes (low spoke count) or bladed carbon. Even a rim with a deep cross section can give you a noticeable sail effect in a cross wind. So, if it causes an adverse effect on a lightweight bicycle, it should cause a similar effect, though not as strong, on a heavier V-Rod. I know it is there, but my old Kawasaki was affected by crosswinds too, so..... let the flames begin, I am wearing my nomex underwear.....

· Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
I agree with you Kaz. I guess in my post I wasnt clear enough.... On my Kawa the sail part was ME, so when the wind caught me from the right, it would push my upper body to the left... you tended to go the way the wind blew. With the V-rod, its the opposite. The sail parts are the wheels. When the wind is from the right, the wind blows the bike to the left from under you, but because of the way counter steering works, the bike is leaning to the right... steering INTO the wind. I much prefer this to the other way. Absolutely, HD would not use a wheel with that much potential liability attached to it... and they have been using a solid wheel for years on the Fat boys.
Glad to know I am not the only one around here to have raced on a pedal powered 2wheeler. I am trying to get back into it this year, but probably wont race mountain bikes or do regular road racing anymore. Want to stick to Time Trials.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.