Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there real reasons why a rider has to lay the motorcycle down? I've heard both sides; one that the rider without appropriate skills is the one to lay a bike down and the other where there was no choice and it saved the rider's life.
Your thoughts?

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
Diamond Lil said:
Are there real reasons why a rider has to lay the motorcycle down? I've heard both sides; one that the rider without appropriate skills is the one to lay a bike down and the other where there was no choice and it saved the rider's life.
Your thoughts?
it really depends on the situation and how you ned to react to it.. a lot of us that have been riding for years tend to try the "ride it out" method. More of your inexperienced riders will take the "get off of it and get away" method.

depending on the situation bailing may just be the thing that saves your life.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I cant imagine doing this but I guess if you are 100% going to slam into something at high speed and there's a chance of bailing off the side and sliding around around it, it would be better than hitting it. Sounds like a pretty ****ed up day no matter what to me though.

·
Vrodder since 2004
4,514 Posts
I just wouldn't want to bail out prematurely if I could have ridden it out and slowed down a bit. A friend of mine had his rear tire blow at 50mph and he actually rode it out sparks and all and was able to stop the bike. His Redwing shoes stood the test....Apehangers and all- he didn' t go down. Frame and wheels were f'd up though.

·
Jeff
1,306 Posts
anyone give any thought on how to lay a bike down if you are going to lay it down. which side do you go down on if you have a choice, just let go?

Lil, didn't mean to jack your thread, just had to ask.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Lil, you should ask Jay (Shadow11) about this. When that stupid lady pulled out in front of him he had no where to go but lay the bike down...it was either that or t-bone her and get shwacked. Then she saw him, hit her brakes and threw it into reverse.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
when my brother hit a deer he said it happened fast but he had enough time to brake hard and skid a ways, he still hit the deer and then went down. His after thought were that if he layed it down it wouldn't have hurt as much. either way his bike was wrecked, and either way he would have hit pavement but he was saying if he was planning on hitting the pavement he could have prepared for it and just slid. Since he wasn't prepared he landed on his head (luckily he had a helmet) he got out of the whole thing with scrapes and bruises.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
GordoJ52 said:
anyone give any thought on how to lay a bike day if you are going to lay it down. which side do you go down on if you have a choice, just let go?
I guess if you had enough time to think about it, I would go down on the left side just so my legs didn't have a chance of getting stuck under the exhaust.

·
Registered
357 Posts
mwdhand said:
I cant imagine doing this but I guess if you are 100% going to slam into something at high speed and there's a chance of bailing off the side and sliding around around it, it would be better than hitting it. Sounds like a pretty ****ed up day no matter what to me though.
If you're going to slam into something, how does one bailing off alter the trajectory by bailing off? Wouldn't the brakes & tires slow you much better than sliding on metal or leather? Couldn't you alter your direction better by braking & steering.
Not trying to slam anyone thats bailed, but every accident I've avoided or been involved in was minimized by staying with the bike till moment of impact then trying to go over the car. Just trying to visualize the situation where it's better to bail.

Russell

·
Registered
922 Posts
A large cage is alongside of your left side, matching your speed. Another cage is behind you and tailgating. You have a steel cable guard rail on your right. Suddenly a F*****g a*****e in a pickup truck pulls out in front of you from a side street and stops in your lane because he sees the large cage at the last moment. The box gets small very, very, fast. Laying it down was not my intent. I actually tried to make the small amount of daylight behind the stopped truck and go into the mouth of the side street., but leaned over to such an extreme caused me to slide out. I ended up sliding under the tailgate area of the truck and was scuffed and scraped but unhurt otherwise unhurt.

I've gone over that incident in my head hundreds of times and at that moment I had no other options, but I think in hindsight that I should have ridden in the passing lane behind the large cage (Buick Electra 225). Thats one scenario Lil. :)

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I agree, I was just trying to think of a reason to bail. I don't know if there is one really, I was imagining being feet away from slamming into someones front fender who was making a left turn and being able to go off the right side and go around around them, I don't know if it's feasible or realistic or if I would even ever try it if it happened. I was just trying to think of a scenario where it could make sense. Maybe there isn't one.

·
Gone
545 Posts
NightMare said:
Lil, you should ask Jay (Shadow11) about this. When that stupid lady pulled out in front of him he had no where to go but lay the bike down...it was either that or t-bone her and get shwacked. Then she saw him, hit her brakes and threw it into reverse.
AGREED: On the fourth of July this year an oncoming tow truck turned left RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME like I wasn't there. I had to lock it up and lay it down or eat his right front fender. I laid it down and I'm here to talk about it.

It sucked to be with out a bike but there was nowhere to "ride it out" and although a DX stops pretty well, it wasn't going to stop fast enough to save me from that idiot's mistake.

I don't think there is a text book answer to that though. There are simply too many variables. Aside from that, even if there was a standard answer, you don't know what you're going to do until you're in the situation where you have to react.

·
Damaged Goods.....
599 Posts
In dirt bike riding you always save yourself first before the bike for obvious reasons. Street bikes arent as nimble so I'm guessing experience for crash avoidance is the best answer.
Here is a link that is pretty good along with a thread that talks about safety FWIW.

http://www.ridelikeapro.com/ProperBraking.htm
(look at the articles for more insights)

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55385

Havent had to lay a street bike down yet.... understanding once down any control is now gone and you are a human skid mark or target for oncoming stuff..

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Diamond Lil said:
Your thoughts?

I've never had to lay a street bike down and I have never bailed on it.. They only motorcycle I bailed off was my MX bike and I ended up with a broken femur and in hind-sight I probably would have been much better to ride it out..

Tough call, but once you leave the bike, you are at the mercy of momentum and gravity with little control.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
A lot is going to depend on the situation. In a panic most people lose the bike due to a skid hence the "lay it down" mantra. The reality is you should stay on the bike as long as possible making every attempt to stop or drive around the obstacle. Of course there are dozens of instances where there's no stopping or driving around and in those I think the reality is you don't have time to make a conscious decision to bail, it just happens as a result of the bike going down or it stopping because it hit the obstacle.

For all these I have but one acronym, ABS! It ain't perfect but in a panic situation where there is enough room to stop or a hole big enough to poke through it will give you the fighting chance that NO non-ABS bike has.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
I've intentionally laid down a bike once - car pulled out in front of me - me on a '69 Triumph. The car then saw me, panicked, and stopped with about 20' between us, effectively blocking both lanes of a very narrow road. I was already hard on the brakes and swerving left to try to go in front of the car (thought she would stop sooner or turn tighter). Collision was inevitable... so as I was skidding, I made the split-second decision to lay it down... The Triumph had non-folding fixed pegs - they kept my ankles from getting crushed by the bike. I just hung on and wedged myself under the hood (big ol' 1970s Plymouth Fury or similar boat). I was lucky - just some scrapes on me and the bike. Driver apologized profusely - and since the bike was a bit of a rat bike at the time, and seeing as I had no major damage - AND no license at the time, I accepted her apololgy, dragged the bike out and back up and kept moving (no cops, please :))

If I had not laid it down, I would've hit the car fender or door, quite probably bending rim, forks, and launching myself into the side of the car (I was going too slow to have enough speed to throw me OVER the car). There was a lot of luck involved, but this worked out best in the situation - narrow bike, tall car, expansive hood.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I read somewhere that the only time someone thought it was legitimate to lay it down was perhaps on a highway ramp high up in the air, losing control and when heading straight towards one of the very low concrete walls many of them have. If you hit it upright, you'd likely go flying off the edge, potentially VERY far from the ground. The chances of you getting hurt more from the fall are higher than crashing into a low wall at an angle.
Other than that the author said you can always stop *way* faster with the bike on its wheels than the bike scraping metal.

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
NightMare said:
PM sent. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts