Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I found me a good deal on a used vrod. I had it painted to look like a 1982 suzuki gs550 :D

This one is the same but not the bike I will be buying :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-GS-GS550L-1980-Suzuki-GS550-L-GS550-Motorcycle-Bates-Bags-80-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ120608138703QQptZUSQ5fmotorcycles

Ok not a vrod but it would due till I get the rod late winter early spring.

I was going down a side road in town and saw a 1981 suzuki gs 550 for sale for 600 bucks.
Since I got my permit I figured it was worth a look and had my dad drive it.

It runs really good and besides aftermarket straight handlebars and a hillbilly paint job that was done with non fuel safe paint and peeling alittle it is in great shape and no rips in the seat. More importantly IT RUNS GREAT.

Do you guys think a bike like this will be ok for giving me some road time and preparing me for the vrod or should I look for a bigger bike?

My worry is getting the hang of a clutch as I tend to pop wheelies with dirtbike and do not want to do that to a vrod.

My dad seems to think it will not compare and do my little good. My thought is a clutch is a clutch and it should help me there. Plus the road time to learn how to ride safe which I will only get on the road.

It meets the requirements you guys gave me. Small enough not to kill me, old enough if I drop it I get up shake it off and say ohh well nothing a hammer wont fix, and it runs good. I know it is to small for a bike for me for everyday driving. I figure with the condition it is in, the age, the price I can ride it around town till I get my vrod and sale it or let dad ride it so I have a riding buddy.

Also if I ride it for 6 months would it do me any good with the insurance pricing I am getting or not give me enough time to make a diff. Plus with the age I can do the state min and uninsured motorist and not worry about the bike thus costing me a few hundred bucks a year. :D

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Hey, Tim! Congratulations!

I agree, when you're starting out a clutch is a clutch.

The most important thing, once you're confident the bike is sound and roadworthy, is to get out there and ride.

I think insurance companies look for 1 continuous year of coverage but its not like it will shave a ton off your policy.

Good for you!

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
A 550 is not a small machine in real terms and can get you in trouble should you not be paying attention. Sure a Vrod has more get up and go but this Suzuki will make a good stepping stone.
Wheelies on a Vrod are near impossible due to the weight and length of the machine. But spinning the rear tire can be done, with effort! $600 is real cheap, go for it!

·
NSFW
1,984 Posts
Good luck with that bike. It should be fun to learn on. I think smaller than the V is a good idea, especially for a novice.

As far as insurance is concerned, I think an MSF riding class will help you there. And you get to learn more from experienced professionals! Win-win!

Doc

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will be doing one for sure. Going to call monday to see when they do it next.
Good luck with that bike. It should be fun to learn on. I think smaller than the V is a good idea, especially for a novice.

As far as insurance is concerned, I think an MSF riding class will help you there. And you get to learn more from experienced professionals! Win-win!

Doc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts