Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was trying to determine what all the differences are. I found this to muddy the water a bit more.

John

·
Registered
974 Posts
California models

Does that mean CA models too ?:(
Just wondering out loud.
BobT

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No sir. The California V-Rod also makes 115 HP. the ONLY difference is it has a charcoal canister.

John

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Bob as far as I have seen the only difference in the Cal model is the fuel system uses a purge valve solenoid for fuel vapors. That should not change the HP at all.

Max

·
Registered
974 Posts
Sportster

A friend of mine's wife has a 1996 XLH883 that was originally from Chosa's or something (I saw the keychain) It has something under the bike too. BobT:confused:

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Chosa's would be a HD shop in Phoenix, AZ. Nice place!

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
Whatever pic you have attached is not coming up John. The page is loading the words etc, but slow/no action on the image.

I don't like the sound of this at all though. :mad:

Whats the deal?

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
I have a 'Z' rather than an 'A' in the Engine Type and Horsepower position of my VIN. Does that mean I have a 115 hp bike? And why does it say 120hp in the manual?

Christine

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Yes the Z would be the 115hp rated engine. It's hard to say why the figures vary so much. They really should post rear wheel HP rather then crankshaft hp anyway.

Max

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Thanks Max.
Thought I'd been duped. I feel sorry for anyone who got the 98hp. Do you know whether the 98s are just restricted in a way that is easy to reverse or is it a whole other engine?

Christine

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
From what John has posted it looks as though it is the same engine with just a different exhaust section (might be a catalytic converter) and then different air horns over the throttle bodies. For anyone that got one getting the HP back to the others should be easy, a few parts and a re flash.

Max

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
The 98 hp model is for countries that restrict HP to less than 100 or register and tax vehicles based on HP. If you live in one of these countries you know it, it's not a secret. If you don't know about a HP limit in your country then you have a 115 hp version (unless you bought it from a broker, then you better check for the "A" in the VIN)

Here in the states we typically get taxed or have our insurance rates based on displacement. Pretty sad (for them) that a 1450 cc softail pays more insurance than an 1130 cc V-Rod with insurance companies that don't have a clue.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The displacement size ratings that the insurance companies use is pretty comical. I am paying $100 a year less for my brand new V-rod than I was for my 7 year old Fat Boy. Thanks Progressive, yet another good reason to waive goodbye to the big twin.

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
OK, I downloaded the parts manual myself, located the bits (page 29, and 33), rang my dealer. Waiting for an answer, but as I understand it, and I will check my engine number, I have a 120 HP rated Rod

·
******* Viking
113 Posts
I'm almost 100% sure its tax & insurance related. I know that some countries in the EU have some pretty hefty tax/insurance hikes for bike above 100 HP and some even offer both versions (above/below 100 HP).
Not that I really care - not in the EU and I have the 115 version, thank ya very much :D

Thor

1 - 18 of 18 Posts