Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I take my bike into the dealership to get new tires mounted..and I figure they could probably knock out some warranty work (clutch and brake covers, fuel gauge, the usual suspects). After holding the bike for over a week (needed to order parts) I got the call tonight that it was ready to pickup. I apparently owe almost $400! :deal: Did I mention it was for tire mounting and warranty work? So I asked for a detailed description of the bill, amongst some of the bogus things listed was $5 for missing heat shield hardware. (one screw...yep, that little screw is apparently $5!!!) Then there is other nonsense like shop material, deductible, taxes...somehow that adds up to $400 (with the expected cost of mounting tires, which I wouldn't think was much more than $100)...:soapbox:

Guess this'll be the last time I take the bike to these guys. Time to order that Penn Foster Motorcycle maintenance course...

Just thought I'd share...

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Plus or including tires? To do both ends takes about 2 hours, if you have done it before.

·
Registered
821 Posts
That's nuts! Are you going to fight it? Aren't they required to call if the amount will exceed what was on the original estimate?

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Get the manual and do it your self.

Check out some videos...click on link in my Sig.

·
Registered
398 Posts
If you don't like going to the dealership get the manual & tools and take matters into your own hands. What they do is charge you a "flat rate" cost which means if it takes them 10 min. or an hour its the same "flat" rate you see on the bill, thats how some good mechanics can rack up build hours (and make a living) if they do good, timely work. Politely ask them to explain the details of the bill when you go in and if that seems "nuts" there are the fore mentioned alternatives. I think there is way to much dealership bashing on this site. I personally will never take my bike to a dealership the same way i would never take my car to one. just saying.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Ditto^ :them:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Sounds like a lot, what do I know.

What was the initial quote for the work when you dropped it off?

How much more was it when you picked it up and what was their reasoning? Just curious.

I had a dealership experience where the work was about triple what the initial quote was upon pickup. I got no where with the garage manager. I later called and came in to speak with the owner who refunded all of my money down to the original quote. That manager was terminated a few weeks later.

·
Registered
220 Posts
If you didn't sign a work authorization, not gave permission to go above the quote the have to eat it. If they give your a problem, call the police, file a report and take it to court.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Arrogance like this is going to cripple HD! They need to concentrate on customer service with the same enthusiasm they had when with the re-branding effort years ago.

·
Registered
507 Posts
So I take my bike into the dealership to get new tires mounted..and I figure they could probably knock out some warranty work (clutch and brake covers, fuel gauge, the usual suspects). After holding the bike for over a week (needed to order parts) I got the call tonight that it was ready to pickup. I apparently owe almost $400! :deal: Did I mention it was for tire mounting and warranty work? So I asked for a detailed description of the bill, amongst some of the bogus things listed was $5 for missing heat shield hardware. (one screw...yep, that little screw is apparently $5!!!) Then there is other nonsense like shop material, deductible, taxes...somehow that adds up to $400 (with the expected cost of mounting tires, which I wouldn't think was much more than $100)...:soapbox:

Guess this'll be the last time I take the bike to these guys. Time to order that Penn Foster Motorcycle maintenance course...

It must depend on the dealership. I had them swap my front tire from my old rim to my new one, mount a new tire on another new rim, install the hubs and mount them all and it was only $150.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts

On the other hand, there are good dealers with good service departments out there. A few weeks ago I went with a friend who had installed slip-ons on his DX. We were headed to a shop 85 miles up the road to install his shiny new SEPST and run it across the dyno. Less than an hour after arrival we were notified the work was complete. Come to find out, the tech took it upon himself to do an initial dyno run to determine a starting point, found out the mapping was fine, and went no further. Cost my friend $38 if I remember correctly. And the tech said "here's your SEPST, I didn't marry it up. You can keep it in case you do more mods, or resell it".

Most shops would have installed the device, then done the dyno tune without question. I figure this tech, and the dealership, saved my buddy almost a thousand dollars.

·
LOS ANGELES
1,757 Posts

·
boredom kills
2,323 Posts
......the tech took it upon himself to do an initial dyno run to determine a starting point, found out the mapping was fine, and went no further. Cost my friend $38 if I remember correctly. And the tech said "here's your SEPST, I didn't marry it up. You can keep it in case you do more mods, or resell it". ........
I need to find a shop like that on Long Island

1 - 18 of 18 Posts