Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For me that is, I know some of you in a Desert out there race all year long.

However I am new to this area and just learned of all the great opportunities to race my bike. And since I got nothing better to do I reckon I may as well. Seeing as how I find the Rod to have plenty of power, it needs more because plenty is not ridiculious. So logic dictates with all motors filter, pipes, and expensive computer Chit. Step one. So since I can make it go faster this way I will.

Tell me if I am wrong here, but I can afford about 500 bucks worth of stuff right now without leaving my budget gone. So I was wondering if it is worth buying the Race tuner now, and learning how to play with the software while saving up for pipes/filter. Or if it's better to just do it all at once.

The tracks open March 28th by the way. So anyone want to lend a few suggestions.

Thanks

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Nick,
If I were you I would Get a new Credit Card with at Least 5k on it if you want to do anything serious at the Track.Unless you just want to Run low 12's High 11's .Then Your cool, but 10's OR Better is Gonna Cost you 5k Easy! I don't care WHAT YOU READ IN THE MAGAZINES!;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Although I may be very capable of spending that 5k over a year or so...what's the fun if you don't slowly add them, dyno, race, see how its going. I am more looking to entertain myself.

Winning is everything, but for now I just like to legally go as fast as I can...cause I uh I never speed on the street (prove me wrong).

So what's a good starting point. Come on it'll be fun like 90% of my income is slated for the bike...because I can

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
If 2003 or before then 28 tooth sprocket - thenhave your stock mufflers done by steve at VMod and adjust AFRatio as required with either race tuner or powercommander - race tuner is good for 4HP if dyno tuned and provides the initrial SE ECM flash map with it - I have used both and finally chose Race tuner.
Kevin

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
For a Race setup you can't go wrong with the Turbo Tec USA Pipes.Then Race Tuner with Air Box Modded with Filter.Chain Conversion and Air Shifter.That will give you a Nice Running Track Bike thats Very Streetable!:diablo:

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Super Kaz said:
For a Race setup you can't go wrong with the Turbo Tec USA Pipes.Then Race Tuner with Air Box Modded with Filter.Chain Conversion and Air Shifter.That will give you a Nice Running Track Bike thats Very Streetable!:diablo:

No need for a chain with only those mods. $800.00 will get you a mid/low 11 second V-Rod IF you really know what you are doing (Modded pipes, PC or RT, 28T pulley and SE AF and most importantly, knowing how to ride).

John

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Nickdude;
V-mod the pipes>$150 V-mod.com
PCIIIR>$200 Ebay
PCIII USB>$360 power commander
Race tuner>$368 chicago harley
Filter>$58 V-mod.com
28T sprocket>$196 chicago harley
Supertrapps>$250-$350 Ebay
Turbo tecs>$600 turbotecusa.com
Save your money and Get what you want the first time.I already am considering an exhaust swap and getting rid of PCIIIr.Search around the forum for what others have done.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What does it cost to do the actual mailing the pipes bit. I am limited on tools right now...what do I need. I have the service manual laying around here, do I need to replace the gasket as well? I ask because I have no garage, but a storage unit that acts as one for now.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Shipping is about $15.00 each way. Here are instructions. No lift or garage necessary.

http://www.v-mod.com/tech_details.asp?techid=7

VRSC Muffler Removal and Install Posted: 12/15/2002

You will need:

6mm Allan Wrench [ socket wrench type ]
15mm socket [ deep ]
**REMOVAL**

Remove the [2] 6mm allan bolts that retain the top muffler.
Loosen the 15mm nut on the top muffler clamp.
"Wiggle" the top muffler off [ carefull not to strike swing arm]
NOTE : If the muffler will not budge! You can pry between the clamp bolt and the welded area of the center section. Gently pry while wiggling the muffler.

Remove the 6mm allan from the bottom of the lower muffler
Loosen the 15mm lower muffler clamp.
Wiggle muffler off
**INSTALL**

Aply a little "ANTI-SEEZE" or Grease to the inside of the clamp flange
slide lower muffler and clamp onto bike [ do not tighten ]
Install upper muffler and clamp [ do not tighten ]
Install the [2] upper allan bolts. you may have to work the upper and lower mufflers to get the holes to line up.
Install the lower 6mm allan bolt and tighten.
Tighten the [2] upper allan bolts.
Align and tighten the [2] 15mm clamp nuts.

Shipping:

http://www.v-mod.com/tech_details.asp?techid=8

Shipping Mufflers Posted: 12/15/2002

Special care must be taken when shipping your V-Rod mufflers. The chrome will scratch very easy and the "BIASED" ends are prone to dent. If your lucky enough to have the HD Muffler boxes, these are the best for safe shipping. Either way one should wrap the mufflers in plastic or bubblewrap. The cardboard box and newspaper will scratch the chrome. If you do not have the HD Box, special care must be taken that the two mufflers can't "bouce" off each other. If you bolt the mufflers together [ which keeps them off each other] extra padding has to be added on the tip-end as they are a heaver unit. While in transit these boxes are dropped on end! You must have enough protection on the ends!

When shipping Mufflers to MainStreet Motorcycles. Please take a "Sharpie" and put your name on the mufflers. Also put a note with your request [ V-Mod Mufflers] I will need your name,address,email and Phone# on the note.

John

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So like $180 bones, more like 190 after I pay for bubble wrap...but I need the race tuner to utilize em.

So yeah, I will probbaly do that, but it will have to be a week when I see the temps all look below 25...cause I have a hard time riding below 25...but I will if I can. So now to predict snow in DC, so I can do the exhaust.

Now problem being that theres this girl who works at the parts department that I flirt with, cause she's kinda cute and knows about bikes, and can give 10% discounts, but anyways I guess I can ask her for a box lying around the shop so I can talk to her. More than ya needed to know but...

Is it ok to do the pipes thn get the race tuner?

Lots of questions I know...but I'm a cheap bastard.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Get a set of pipes off eBay(less than $100 for new take-offs), and have them shipped directly to v-mod.com. When you get the pipes shipped to you after being modded, sell your originals on eBay. That way no down time. Yes you can run w/o any other mods or tuning (PCIIIr or RT) with the V-Mods as long as you don't run the SE A/F.

John

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now That's thinking.

Does the filter really make it that lean? That means it brings in a lot more air...that means more power.

I guess I'll just do it in one chunk. Maybe if I do it all at once It'll scare me when I hit the gas.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
You Guys Kill Me!:slap2: Do John's Mod and come to Vegas and you'd be lucky to run Mid 12's!:rolleyes: It's Not near as Easy as it Looks!:cool:

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
nickdude,
maybe a Stock "Ringer" Bike "28T"with a Pro Driver on the Best Track with Perfect conditions!11's are Possible,but for 99% mid to low 12's!No pipe unless it's a"Crack Pipe" is gonna give you a second in the 1/4!Take your Bike out ASAP and get a Baseline at the track.Get used to everything ,then worry about performance mods!Being a Great Rider/Driver/Racer won't cost you a Penny and will make the Most out of what ever you put together! ;)

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
One must be a really crummy rider or weigh 400 lbs if mid 12's are the best you can do on a STOCK V-Rod. I know there are MANY riders who have the skill level I have (I'm a realist) and I ran 11.29 with minimal mods.

John

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
John, Kaz,

You guys must really enjoy going at each other ;) You both know that different tracks have different baseline numbers. To use absolutes when talking about two completely different tracks is wasting bandwidth.

You could easilly run low 12's in Vegas and mid 11's in LA on the same bike with the same rider. Heck, you could have the same spread in Gainesville, FL between Feb. runs and August runs!

I say you both go to each others tracks, make your passes and post your numbers. Then, and only then does it stop being bench racing and start being fact.......

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Mark,
Pomona is NOT 3/4 of a second faster than Vegas. Just look at the AHDRA V-Rod times from Vegas and at the "fastest" tracks. The difference is no more than 3/10ths. I just replied because it's NOT gospel just because Kaz says so. Is it waisting bandwidth to post an opposing opinion?

John

1 - 20 of 30 Posts