Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took the bike to work today, probally never doing it again. Short enough commute so gas doesn't matter plus the one mile on the LIE sux! Anyway, I work as a field Engineer so I need to get aroung the 300 Acre facility I am currently at. So today I forgot to turn the key to off. And at 4pm I come out, battery is dead as a door nail!!! So I am like ok we can push it to my worker, after 3 tries on flat surface no less no luck. So i am like, how am I going to get home? F, it lets jump it off a car. Guy says no way man, so I am like well I gots to get home. So we go to the garage and find a John Deer Gator Tractor, and i jumped it off that battery. But here is the strange thing. Bike started, but I had to hold it a 4k for 5 mins, otherwise it would stall, and during that 5 mins if i took the jumpers off the john deer it also died. But got it stateted, and is running fine. Kinda pissed I had to run it at 5 k for 5 mins not even warmed up.

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
You completly drained the battery and without some charge to it, it wouldnt keep running. Probably is fine, but you might want it tested.

·
Registered
385 Posts
The bike has no power for the fuel injection and other computer functions to operate that is why it died when you let it idle or took off the cables, The charging system was at max just to recharge the battery so it was not able to run the electronics. If it was an old carb style bike it would push start and go from there. Sorry you had a bad day but if you didn't leave the key in it it wouldn't have been dead because it would be turned off so take the key out from now on and problem solved

·
Paintless Rider
1,326 Posts
Welcome to the club. I left my key in it once while I was talking to a friend, an d got off it to go look at his deck in back of his house. Came back later to hear click..click..click........ Won't ever do that again.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now I get why my buddy just turns the bike off at the key!! Thats good to hear, I was so pissed, I hate when things come down to like how do I get home and ur like f.. it

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
The KEYLESS MOD ROCKS. I couldn't do that (again) if I tried.

wiley81db hit it right on the head. You can't jump a fuel injected bike with no juice.

If you would have hooked the battery up to the Deere, and let the Deere charge the battery for a while (i.e. let the Deere run idle for a few minutes) you wouldn't have had to hold your bike at 4K to charge the battery. :2cents:

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
When the battery is completly dead, you don't have enough power to run the electronics and don't forget the electric fuel pump. The alternator won't charge unless it has electric power to energize the field. So it take alittle bit to get some power going.

·
Registered
378 Posts
ALang800 said:
So i am like, how am I going to get home? F, it lets jump it off a car. Guy says no way man, so I am like well I gots to get home. QUOTE]

I am not sure what the concern is regarding jump starting from a car, or 18 wheel semi for that matter, AS LONG AS IT IS A 12 VOLT SYSTEM! The only thing that changes in car versus, truck versus motorcycle, etc. is the AMP/HOUR capacity. Just observe polarity, and don't short the cables together, and there should be no prolbem.

Of course best is not to leave the key on in the first place, but who among us have not done it at least once?

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
Dont let the battery thing discourage ya. I bet you will never forget to turn the key off again. The ride on the LIE is not for the meek. You may find that you get use to the ride and enjoy saving the environment.

·
Kaboom
4,336 Posts
JustSam said:
ALang800 said:
Of course best is not to leave the key on in the first place, but who among us have not done it at least once?
Or more than once? :hidesbeh:

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Sorry to hear you had such a bad day. You may consider getting a battery tender to make sure its all the way charged up.

·
Genesis1130cc
1,824 Posts
I've done it and now the first thing I do is take the key out before I even get off the bike.

·
Pineland Underground
14,737 Posts
DallasV Rod said:
You may consider getting a battery tender to make sure its all the way charged up.
:them: ...pays to get one of these bad boys. My battery has died before and I've jumped it off a car before. Same thing happened that you described. New battery is in order and hook up a battery tender while you are at it.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
When you jump off a bike with a stone dead battery don't just hook up and crank. Hook the jumper vehicle up and let it run for a couple of minutes. It will put a little bit of a charge in the battery while your letting them run. When you crank a v-rod do not hold the throttle open. If you do the IAC motor goes wacky and the bike won't idle during that cycle. My guess is thats why the bike had to run at higher rpm or it would stall.

·
Chad 02 V-ROD
1,364 Posts
Yeah been there done that. Luckily I was at the house. Someone distracted me and I left the key on all night. :D

904 Posts
When you jump off a bike with a stone dead battery don't just hook up and crank. Hook the jumper vehicle up and let it run for a couple of minutes.
Max, I was under the impression that you should never cable up to a car while it's running because of the alternator's output being enough to fry the circuitry of the bike -- not so? Or is that just the case when you try to crank the bike (running both vehicles simultaneously)?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
hamletexpress said:
I've done it and now the first thing I do is take the key out before I even get off the bike.
Just make sure you drop the key down behind the third volume when doing this. That will make your day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts