Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally sent my seat off to the Butt Buffer people at the end of last week. I just called to see if it got there and Peter, the owner, picked up the phone and said, "Valerie, I was just dialing your number." It's done and on its way back today. He said it will be here tomorrow.

As requested, he lowered it, put the gel insert under the cover so it won't show, built up the back to make more of a backrest (it's the forward seat), and took some off the sides to make it a little narrower.

AND, we're due for some warm (60s) and dry weather this weekend. It definitely requires a couple-hundred mile test ride.

Will post pics and a report when it gets here.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Sounds perfect. I ordered some Saddlemen fleece covered gel pads for front and rear. I'll report when they get in. I took Kaz's advice for last weekend's ride (I'm sure this is too much info, but hey!) and wore silk boxers and I have to admit - it did help! Leave it to Kaz to know!
Let us know how it works, Val.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Daniii, I haven't tried silk boxers, but I did wear lycra bicycle/gym-type shorts under my chaps last summer and they DEFINITELY helped!

·
VRRRRRROD!
3,173 Posts
Val, I'm going to send my stock seat to them for the gel pad also. Did you keep the stock covering or did you do any custom cover changes?

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They do a quick turnaround. I kept the stock cover. Suits me fine. Are you going to do something custom?

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Hey Val! Please let us know how the seat does! I am thinking about having it done if you think it's worth the price! I need mine to be a little more narrow and maybe lower. My heels don't quite touch the ground.

·
Do It Movin...
1,180 Posts
Val:
What was the price... If you don't mine me asking.
Thanks

·
VRRRRRROD!
3,173 Posts
I'm going to talk to them about doing something a little different with the cover, nothing too radical. Maybe a silver or gray middle section with some sort of V-Rod logo. Any suggestions?

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Their website is www.buttbuffer.com. I forgot to ask him the price when I talked to him today, I was so excited! I'll post it when I get the receipt tomorrow.

vrod-tlam, I have an '03, so am partial to the 100th logo. Didn't even think of it, tho. The forward seat doesn't have one, and I've been noticing it looks nice on my stock seat, now that it's back on.

Had a nice ride this afternoon, but even 70 miles on the stock seat was hard on my butt. Can't wait to try out the new one!

·
VRRRRRROD!
3,173 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't mess with the logo either. I'm going to modify a plain, stock seat.
A buddy sent his Fatboy seat to Buttbuffer & it cost him around $125-150 for the gel pad inserted & used the same covering.

·
Liqwid Rider
281 Posts
Hey Val-
I got a buttbuffer pad to be put in my seat by a local guy. I'm having a custom seat made. I took the gel pad to him today. Here's what we're going to do:
-Started with a stock seat off ebay (wanted to keep my anniversary seat intact)
- He's going to use a foam saw to recess the pad in position so that it is flush with the rest of the foam (won't bulge the leather that way)
- A few custom touches that we finalized tonight, secret until it's done :angeldev:

It won't be done for probably three weeks, but I'll post pics as soon as possible. Probably won't be riding until the end of April at best though, so I won't know how it feels, but it should look good!! :mrgr:

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Happy Butt in Happy Valley

The seat arrived late in the afternoon and it was raining, so I didn't get out on it until today. It's AMAZING!! Really soft, but still with good support. My bony behind and tailbone are thrilled with it!!

It was $140 plus $15 shipping and handling. No question it's worth the investment.

It looks a little lumpy on the sides in the close-up pic, which is due to where he narrowed it in the middle for me. Kay - the narrowed part of the seat might be good for you in getting your feet on the ground when you're stopped.

AKvrod - can't wait to see what you're having done!

Attachments

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
I finally got to try out the saddlemen Gel pads I ordered a week ago. http://www.saddlemen.com/gelpads. (on a sundowner seat). Looks like it will add considerably to the comfort level. I need to take a real long ride to give a better evaluation. I didn't want to take the seat apart (yet) to embed it. Observations:
1.) Its not the prettiest thing - black fleece like cover. Held in place by a velcro covered strap. The strap stays and the pad comes off. I was able to hook it to the Sundowner seat with no problem or modification.
2.) It raises me up an inch. For me this is good. My windshield is raised so I can fit the Memphis Shades lowers, and I was always looking at the top edge of the shield. Now I look over it!
Us Geezers have to do what we can! :kaz:

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that's for SURE, Daniii. :) :)

Just got back from my first longer ride on the new seat - about 200 miles. My behind is SO HAPPY with this thing. The longer I rode, the more it molded to me and the more comfortable it got.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
And Val.........if your behind is happy.............we are happy! :thumb:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts