Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No posts in 5 days about the PC V.....I am not riding as we have been having rain upon rain with some pretty nasty road construction. We should have pave in this week as I am told.

So how is everyone else doing? How about the guys with F's are we getting these settled in or not. Mine was pretty happy till I parked it. Will be needing tires here real soon, especially front.

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
Way off topic, but, how the hell do you ride a bike in Alaska? Isn't summer like five weeks long with mosquitoes the size of humming birds and horny moose trying to screw anything that moves?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Way off topic, but, how the hell do you ride a bike in Alaska? Isn't summer like five weeks long with mosquitoes the size of humming birds and horny moose trying to screw anything that moves?
WE USE STUDDED TIRES!!!!!!

I started this year early... like the 1st week in March, got caught in 2 snowstroms and 1 complete whiteout. Weather can be unpredicateable in the spring. I also ride till the snow flies. Normally not 1st thing in the morning but sunny days in the afternoon when the frost gets burned off. I ride as long as the roads stay dry. I had one day it was 19*F when I left the house.

I have some video from my 1st ride this season. I will have to edit a little and post it up. It shows the snow stacked along the road to over 4 feet, heavy sand and gravel in the intersections but a gorgeous day to go for a spring ride.

I ride snowmobiles all winter with -50*F being my lower limit so I have the gear to beat the cold. As a note there are a few Trikes that run all winter up here and there was at least 2 if not 3 guys that were riding their Duo Sport motorcycles thru the snow/ice of winter.

·
Woverby
477 Posts
When I think I am making progress dialing my bike in with the PC-V and Autotune it is never as much as expected.

I re-torqued my flange nuts and the clamp on the exhaust & muffler. This improved some of the decel and low throttle popping, so leaks in the exhaust play a roll. I can't have much in the way of a leak, but apparently some.

I had some +4 timng advance entries in my ignition table. Most of the maps from DynJet have this timing advance in their online maps. I set all of the timing table entries to "0", and this also appeared to help with the low RPM, low throttle popping.

I also separated my 1&2 gears' AFR maps from my 3rd, 4th & 5th. The 1st & 2nd are more rich. Still playing around with the AFR settings for 2% throttle. I leaned out the crusing speeds/throttle positions, so my fuel economy is up without sacrificing too much in performance.

That's about my status.... Heading to Sturgis bike week! Looking forward to the break.

I am slowing getting it dialed in, but after many months, still a work in progress...

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I think I am making progress dialing my bike in with the PC-V and Autotune it is never as much as expected.

I re-torqued my flange nuts and the clamp on the exhaust & muffler. This improved some of the decel and low throttle popping, so leaks in the exhaust play a roll. I can't have much in the way of a leak, but apparently some.

I had some +4 timng advance entries in my ignition table. Most of the maps from DynJet have this timing advance in their online maps. I set all of the timing table entries to "0", and this also appeared to help with the low RPM, low throttle popping.

I also separated my 1&2 gears' AFR maps from my 3rd, 4th & 5th. The 1st & 2nd are more rich. Still playing around with the AFR settings for 2% throttle. I leaned out the crusing speeds/throttle positions, so my fuel economy is up without sacrificing too much in performance.

That's about my status.... Heading to Sturgis bike week! Looking forward to the break.

I am slowing getting it dialed in, but after many months, still a work in progress...
Thanks for getting in a reply....I will agree about when you seem to making progress it just does not seem fast enough. On my sleds things went pretty easy and quick. The wife's Sportie was another easy setup and tune. Why the V's are so finicky and F's being even more particular is beyond me......I need to snag a ECM out of another bike, like a stock NRS and see if it changes anything with my F.

Now I have had my bike issues. One of which was finally traced to an injector problem for sure as of this writing. The other problem I believe is all related to the Muscle, popping, burbling or what ever you want to call the 3 to 4 k problem. This problem I believe is exhaust/fuel related, my belief is that the crossover pipe up front might be be causing an issue especially with a free breathing exhaust system.

The exhaust and head pipe leaks seem to be the 1st thing to check and then double check and then replace the gaskets and check again.

They finally got my road paved so I can now get out of the neighborhood for some riding....in the rain of course, it has been a rough couple of weeks of rain shower, after rain shower, after rain shower. Looks like next week we will finally clear a little.

Have a GREAT TRIP!!!!! Be safe. Wish I was going.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New Maps????

Anyone running Dyno Jet maps 006-012 thru 006-018 or the 502 map? Does anyone know when they got posted?

I just went on there and just for a jeewhiz looked at the maps to find that they have posted up a couple of new maps since I had downloaded mine from last year. The 012 thru 018 and the 502 are new. I am going to do some studying and see what differances I can find but already noticed that they did dial in 3 to 4 degrees of timing up top on at least one of them and I think 017 did not have an AFR table. The last couple are Muscle/Tab specific.

·
Woverby
477 Posts
Not I.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You got a long ride coming up..........tester

I am going to try and get a ride in tomorrow and may try throwing one of the maps at it and see the differance.

I did get out today and my bike is running pretty flawless(knock on wood). I had one little burbble when I 1st left the house and once I hit the highway and the engine temp leveled out at 175* it was super, no burble, pop or heavy black smoke. SO with a good map to fall back too, I guess I will go with more expermenting. Interested to see how the extra timing effects the top end pull.

Woverby,
enjoy your ride and I look forward to hearing the stories when you get back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts