Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys:
I just wanted to relay my experience there yesterday. First off I have to describe the FANTASTIC weather we are having here in the NYC, NJ area for July. The last few days feel like gorgeous spring days, temps in the high 70's with beautiful sunny skies and NO HUMIDITY, just absolute awesome weather for riding. I decided to take the 112 mile ONE WAY ride to Smaltz's after I had done a little research on the place earlier this year. I took the NJ Turnpike south to Interstate 276, to Interstate 76 and then to exit 312, Smaltz is less than a mile from the exit. No traffic in either direction and they are working on I 276. I was able to get the night rod up to some very respectable speeds, I'm always amazed at how much power this bike has and how damn smooth it is. She didn't disappoint there. My new Sundowner seat made the ride extremely comfortable for my butt, but my legs were a little cramped as the Sundowner actually lowers you closer to the ground. So while my butt feels better than having the stock night rod seat, my legs feel a bit more tired and I'm short dude. If I could find someone who could take the Sundowner apart and raise me about an inch WITHOUT destroying the seats comfort for my butt, the seating would be perfect for me. Oh well.... that search will start shortly.
As I arrived at the place I'm greeted by what seems to me to be a down home feeling type of place. There is a covered front porch with rocking chairs and I see a customer who is waiting on his bike rocking away. Someone from service comes out to him to tell him his bike is ready and off they went, so far I'm extremely impressed, this place doesn't have that cold, corporate feeling the HD dealers are now putting up all over the place. I walk in and am immediately greeted by everyone who see's me, including customers in the store! Again, being from NYC, I'm always amazed by the friendly people I meet outside of NYC. When you walk in, the place looks like an old converted barn, it's HUGE with high ceilings and SPACE! I'm just not used to a place like this if anyone doubts me, come to Lombardi's on Staten Island or Brooklyn HD, you'll see what I mean.
Anyway I start talking with a customer, an older fellow who tells me he is thinking of trading up, we just start shooting the breeze and then he proceeds to tell me about how this place keeps winning Harleys "cross and shields" award year after year. He proceeds to take me to the back (my ultimate goal) to introduce me to the service manager, Scott Richards. Scott knows this guy by first name, shakes his hand and promptly takes out his hand towards me and we start gabbing. I have been on an almost 2 year hunt for the perfect set of pipes for the Night Rod. Lucky for me, Scott has 2 rods out back in another GIANT barn that were involved in accidents and he takes me out there to listen to pipes. (BTW, while I was there, Scott was juggling phone calls, talking with me and dealing with an insurance adjuster all at the same time! I believe if you are in the area and heaven forbid involved in an accident, and DO NOT bring your bike to Smaltz's, you are doing yourself and your bike an injustice.)
After listening to a pair of long Reinharts (sorry, just to darn loud and obnoxious for me) and a pair of discontinued Screaming Eagle off road pipes (which sounded pretty decent) I'm still not totally happy at the level of pipe support for the night rod. (BTW, both of these pipes were on "A" models) At this point Scott needs to get back with the adjuster and introduces me to a young man named Cory. Cory is super helpful and TRUTHFUL and tells me that the only pair of pipes he heard on a night rod, in this case, a street rod, was a pair of Caliber slip ons that they used to own as a demo bike. (just my luck, the bike has been sold for a few months now) He tells me the bike sounded awesome and using the race tuner and a K&N the bike handled and opened right up! But Cory isn't satisfied, he tells me, "lets search the Internet and see what we can find." At this point I can't help to smile because he is really trying to help and I'm just in shock. The first site he pulls up, WITHOUT any direction from me is V-Mod. The owner of that site, "Chopper" Steve has done a good job of trying to find pipes for all of the different model V-Rods, but for some reason the models for the night rod, just don't appeal to me. Cory says the same thing. "these pipes just don't flow with the lines of the bike."
The picture for the D&D''s don't show up, so Cory decides to go to the D&D website and he brings it up. I have been very partial to these pipes from the first time I saw and heard them on someone's night rod here by me on Staten Island last summer. I like the sound and the fact that they look very close to stock and are supposed to be an exact match for the stock mounting location. I don't think it's fair to discuss actual price here, but I can tell you that Cory gave me a better price than on V-mod and I was in SHOCK that an HD dealer could do this. All in all, with the pipes, air filter, race tuner, 2 hours of dyno time and labor to install everything, I thought I had gotten a decent deal. My problem is that I am in need of a new washer and dryer and it is going to cost me almost the same thing for these pipes as for the washer and dryer, can you guys see my dilenma? I can hear her now, "you want clean clothes, place them in your pipes and see how clean they come out!" lol.
Anyway, I got the printed out work order estimates for both the D&D's and Caliber pipes, and I have some time to try and figure out how to do this. Oh yes two other things, while I was there I decided to get my brakes (front and rear) and clutch fluids flushed and replaced, they did this while Cory and I were doing our research. Cost for this? $80! I thought this was a great price as I have been quoted $130 before. The service tech came out BEFORE he did anything and asked if I was having problems with the brakes and why I wanted to change out the fluid with the bike just having over 5k on it? I told him the bike was almost 2 years old and that the brake fluid was never changed (as far as I knew) and that it being DOT 4 fluid, it was easier for water to get in, he promptly told me i was right and got to work. Lastly, before I left the place for the 112 mile ride home, I decide to go and see the business manager to discuss some prices on the HD extended service contracts. (my original warranty expires in August) I get him to tell me he can knock some dough off of the contract and not charge me sales tax because I live out of state, now since when can you say that an HD dealer was willing to give a deal on those contracts? I CANNOT recommend this place highly enough! If you live in the area and are NOT using this dealer, then please tell me who is better as I would gladly sit here and post the same exact kind of review for that place.
You can't go wrong with Smaltz for SERVICE and for prices, it seems that they are willing to negotiate and truly want you as a satisfied customer.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yeah Smaltz's is a great dealer actually. That is where I bought my bike! Paid a couple thousand less than the HD dealer just 30 minutes away. Although the quote i got for the race tuner and dyno tune was dealer typical.....in other words....outrageous. But other than that, they are a great dealer. Nice people, and good deals on the bikes. Nice place too. Service is good too, just high, but thats typical for the stealer. But they do seem to do good work.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Glad to hear some one happy with a dealer for a change!

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wantvrod said:
Yeah Smaltz's is a great dealer actually. That is where I bought my bike! Paid a couple thousand less than the HD dealer just 30 minutes away. Although the quote i got for the race tuner and dyno tune was dealer typical.....in other words....outrageous. But other than that, they are a great dealer. Nice people, and good deals on the bikes. Nice place too. Service is good too, just high, but thats typical for the stealer. But they do seem to do good work.

want:
You want high prices, come around my neck of the woods!!!! Believe me when I say, Smaltz's was A LOT lower in price than anything near me. As I said in my review, the place did everything right by me. More importantly, they stand behind the fact that if i do change out my stock pipes, and they install the aftermarket stuff and per chance something happens, THEY will stand behind their work. Now this may be dealer talk, but they insist they would. My selling dealer wants me to sign waivers if I buy from them and to boot, they want to charge me lots more money! BTW, Smaltz gave me the Hog discount no questions asked.

·
Go Cowboys!
292 Posts
If they are open???

I lived about 30 min. away from Smaltz's when I lived in PA and everytime I went, they were closed! They have some strange weekend hours and I have never actually been in the store! Maybe next time I visit PA, I'll try again.
Good review!
I actually bought my bike from Classic H-D which is about 30 miles west outside of Reading. They have always taken care of me and I have had great service. Just another place to check out, next time you go for a long ride

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well the places around you must be RIDICULOUS then. Smaltz's quoted me almost $850 for the racetuner, install the pipes I already had, and dyno time for a custom tune! but hey like I said I got a great deal on the bike itself!

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wantvrod said:
Well the places around you must be RIDICULOUS then. Smaltz's quoted me almost $850 for the racetuner, install the pipes I already had, and dyno time for a custom tune! but hey like I said I got a great deal on the bike itself!

Yep, the places around here are NUTS! First off, NO ONE in my area even has a dyno, no that's not correct. My selling dealer just got one, (NJ) but they make you sign all kind of waivers telling you if they dyno your bike and install the aftermarket stuff (that we all could get cheaper on the Net) they are going to sell you and they blow up your bike, then it's on YOU! How's that for ridiculous?

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wantvrod said:

The race tuner in itself is over $400, from what I understand most dyno shops charge in the area of 3-4 hundred for a custom dyno, so really, you are almost right there. I know it sounds a bit high, but if you get this place to dial in your bike right the FIRST time, then in my humble opinion it was money well spent. Just my opinion, hope I didn't offend.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Hey Yarvis - if you come down this way again, I'll ride over and meet you at Smaltz HD. I'd love to see a V-Rod from a guy who calls himself a Bike "Ho":moped: . Don't worry, I am not a pimp.

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ContentGuy7 said:
Hey Yarvis - if you come down this way again, I'll ride over and meet you at Smaltz HD. I'd love to see a V-Rod from a guy who calls himself a Bike "Ho":moped: . Don't worry, I am not a pimp.

LOL! You heard of the term work "HO" or money "HO"? Well, I'm just your friendly neighborhood bike "HO". I can't get enough of the ones that I think are special. I gave up my pimp for lent a long time ago! lol. I gladly meet you at Smaltz's.

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shed said:
Glad to hear some one happy with a dealer for a change!

I think it's important to "plug" the good dealer as quickly as we do the bad ones.

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well all, I got my D&D 495-12E slip ons installed yesterday. All I have to say is why did I wait so damn long? I have just one small little issue with them and it's really my fault for not seeing it yesterday until AFTER I got home, so I can't blame anyone really except myself. I'm sure Smaltz's will take care of it, but to find time to make a 220 mile roundtrip ride is the problem. But in regard to the tuning there, all I can say is WOW! The tech spent almost 3 hours CUSTOM tuning the bike with the race tuner when I was only supposed to get a 2 hour tune with my package. There is no longer any surging at idle like I had before the tune. The bike is much more responsive throughout the lower range and forget about the mid and high range, it's absolutely SILLY! lol. I'm very happy, again, all those thinking of tuning their bikes or dealing with Smaltz's in this regard, will not be un happy! I got to meet the owner yesterday and we sat and talked for about 10 minutes, he was very happy to hear that I was happy and surprised that I rode out to him to have this work done. "Stretch" and the rest of the guys there are very good people and I can't stop raving enough.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts