Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started this on another thread and decided to start a dedicated thread to so as not to change the subject of the other thread and to get as many people involved as possible.
Here's the deal guys, I have limited mechanical ability and do not want to spend money on machining so I am looking at finding a way to drastically reduce my RPM (15% to 25%) for touring at highway speeds. My idea scenario would be to bolt a smaller rear pulley in place of the original or a larger front pulley and install a new shorter or longer belt. The problem is front pulley shaft/off-set compatability and/or rear pulley bolt pattern/off-wet compatability as well as belt widths. I thing finding the right legth belt would be pretty easy.

Here's the info I gathered so far from checking ebay and parts catalogs:

VRSC specs:
Front pulley: 28 or 30 tooth
Rear Pulley: 72 tooth
Belt: 1-3/8" wide, 149, 150, or 151 tooth

Buell specs:
Front pulley: 27 tooth (Euro 30 tooth)
Rear Pulley: 65 to 70 tooth
Belt: 1-1/2" wide, ? tooth

Other Harley model specs:
Front pulley: 29 to 34 tooth
Rear Pulley: 61 to 70 tooth
Belt: 1", 1-1/8" or 1-1/2" wide, 125 to 149 tooth

It looks like there are enough pieces out there to to get the gearing I want the question is whether or not the pieces will "bolt on".
Please let me know what your experience has been. Anybody mounted a Buell or other HD front pulley or rear pulley to your R?

·
Premium Member
11,329 Posts
Why are you doing this? The V-Rod runs very nicely at 5K,6K,7K even 8K RPM's all day long.

Changing pulley sizes that dramatically will cause real bad torque problems in low end RPM's. You probably will have to double clutch it to even get going from a stop light.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why are you doing this? The V-Rod runs very nicely at 5K,6K,7K even 8K RPM's all day long.

Changing pulley sizes that dramatically will cause real bad torque problems in low end RPM's. You probably will have to double clutch it to even get going from a stop light.
Simple, to increase mileage. 35 mpg is ok when you are taking short trips but when you ar doing 500 to 600 miles a day, it's a pain to have to start looking for gas stations every couple of hours.

Yes, the R cruises nicely at any rpm. It's the best engine that HD has ever built. The problem is that if I want to cruise at 80+ mph, I HAVE to run at over 6K and with the power and torque this engine puts out, that's just a waste of fuel.

Regarding off the line performance and "bad torque problems", i often start in 2nd gear with no issues. The way I see it, once you are doing over 10 mph, there is no performance issues with the pulley change and if I want to cruise at 8K I will simply use a lower gear.
Don't get me wrong, in a perfect world, the R would have even lower gearing but 6 speeds for optimum stop light performance and better milage at cruising speeds but this is not a pefect world and Harley didn't build the R as a touring bike. I'm just trying to make my bike work best for my needs

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
The Simplest would be going with the HDI front pulley and belt. It will give you a 7% reduction and all bolt on.

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts

:them:

HD realized this early on and went to the 28T pulley instead of the 30T to give the rider the best of both worlds.

The only time I'd consider running a 30T is with a turbo if I did a lot of highway driving.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts

Harley only went to the 28 tooth because there were so many complaints from killing the bike at stoplights because there are so many idiots that don't know how to ride.

I think the V-Rod engine spins too many rpms for long distance cruising... just way too busy...I know it won't hurt the engine, but it does get annoying to me after about 300 miles. I wish it was more relaxed, and like most people, I still end up searching for the imaginary 6th gear.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Harley only went to the 28 tooth because there were so many complaints from killing the bike at stoplights because there are so many idiots that don't know how to ride.

I think the V-Rod engine spins too many rpms for long distance cruising... just way too busy...I know it won't hurt the engine, but it does get annoying to me after about 300 miles. I wish it was more relaxed, and like most people, I still end up searching for the imaginary 6th gear.
:notworth:

·
Premium Member
381 Posts

·
Not Dead Yet
1,172 Posts
.... I wish it was more relaxed, and like most people, I still end up searching for the imaginary 6th gear.
Imaginary? She-ut, no wonder I can't find it!

·
** Place ad here **
1,460 Posts
I agree... I have all 3 pulleys right now... a 26,28 and 30. I just leave the 30 on unless I am going to the track, and then the 26 goes on. I would love to have a 70 tooth rear so I could drop the highway rpm's a little more. I will let you know that I don't see much difference in my highway mileage though, as the SEST doesn't let you change the pulley configuration, so my speedo stays the same regardless of the pulley I have on. I just constantly calcualte my speed in my head as I ride with the 30. When I am riding with the 26 I am not looking at the speedo anyway. I find myself keeping the rpm's about the same with the 30 on the highway, so the mileage for me hasn't changed, I am just going 7% faster all the time :)

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
I went to the 30 tooth and love it. The bike was initially designed for it, and it's perfect (especially with the turbo)

·
boredom kills
2,323 Posts

I think what the bike really needs is a bigger first gear ratio and a smaller fifth gear ratio. Sixth gear would of course be nice.

I had a 30 tooth on my and dropped it to a 28 tooth and did so all because of getting stuck in traffic. Believe it, rolling along at 7 miles per hour in stop and go traffic on the Long Island Expressway, worlds largest parking lot, is painful. It is just a little less painfull with a 28 tooth.

The though of going to a 26 tooth and be a hooligan at traffic lights has a certain appeal.

·
Registered
821 Posts
What what are the highway RPMs like when running the 30 tooth on the 1130cc motor? At 70, 75, 80, etc.

·
Powdercoat Maniac
1,018 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Hmmm... I run the same numbers. I bought a used 06D and now wonder if the original owner installed a 30T.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd say you bought the wrong bike if you wanna do long highway rides or touring IMO....maybe you should sell it and get a street glide or something theyre still cool bikes!

·
Premium Member
11,329 Posts
Hmmm... I run the same numbers. I bought a used 06D and now wonder if the original owner installed a 30T.
Pop the cover on the front pulley. The number of teeth is stamped on it.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
So, it seems like the frequent stops are the issue, not the lack of high mpg.

If so, and you are riding solo, then an aux fuel cell where the pax seat would mount may be the answer. Especially, if you are planning on an IBA rally.

Distance between fuel stops shouldn't be an issue on the main roads. Just watch for the "last gas for 100 miles" sign.

The problem with other rear pulleys will be the cush drive. If other bikes use the same cush drive, you will be set. I've never looked.

Which dealer do you go to in LA? If LA HD, explain what you are looking for and ask Dallas if you can look through the parts books. They are good folks and very helpful to those trying to do something different.

This is what I did when cross checking ABS brake parts between models.

·
gRRR
239 Posts
I am running a 26th since this year, and although it feels like I've lost about 6mph on the high range I do enjoy the kick when starting from the line and shooting out of corners...
Personally I don't drive high-ways and as such the top speed limit isn't a real issue for me...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts