·
Noel
4,577 Posts

Attachments

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
That IS the pin. Like you said, no way it got out. It had to have been dropped when they built the engine. It's been loose in there for over 3 years, only possible explaination....

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
the only way to be sure is to split the cases .hopefully the bearings are only located with these pins and not required to prevent spinning of those bearings in the cases.it would be a case for waranty i assume.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I think I'll ride it, if it blows up then yeah I needed that part. And if that's the case then I'll push it in a ditch, set it on fire and report it stolen.

I'm not splitting the cases. If a POS roll pin keeps bearings from spinning then I don't want it anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Looks like the job of the pin is to ensure the oil passage to the trans bearing lines up. Unless you run out of oil i don't see a problem coming up from this "spare" part!

·
Premium Member
10,796 Posts
Never say that in print! God forbid, it did get stolen, and the insurace guys shows you this !

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I repeat. I'll torch it and report it stolen. I live on the edge like that. La Vida Loca biatches!!!!!

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Is the overall consensus at this point that this random pin really couldn't have gotten loose from a fully assembled engine? This is my understanding right now; that A.) it is a transmission bearing alignment pin, and B.) it's not possible for one to come out except when the case halves are NOT bolted together. Which means C.) the pin has been hiding in a crevis in this engine since it was assembled at the factory. Are the gurus of this engine in agreement with that?

Rick (their V-Rod guy) at Cajun HD in Lafayette, LA says that that pin IS a transmission bearing alignment pin.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
1. There is no way this pin fell from it's home. If the pin gored it's way out through the aluminum you would have a coffee cup full of material in your oil. Aluminum case shavings and steel bearing surface.

2. There is no way that this pin has anything to do with oil. The shot of the case is not the 1/2 with the pin hole.

3. I am guessing that this pin is to keep the bearing from spinning. Being round I don't think it matters how it goes in.

4. I had to pry it out with a pair of dykes. I don't think it "fell" out. I ordered replacement bearings and they came with the pin in them. IF the guy that inserts the pin is the same guy that assembles the shaft, I doubt he is the same guy that sticks it in the engine. And if he is the same dude....I doubt he does all 3 at the same station.

5. It is entirely possible that HD uses the same pin elsewhere...

6. I know nothing, I am just basing this on my experience rebuilding my own tranny.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Maybe the pin is to ensure that the shaft assembly guy does not put the bearing on backwards. The smaller bearing has a seal on one side. Putting it in backwards would not only make your bike run in reverse, but may starve the bearing of oil.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
So it basically locates the bearing for assembly? Providing the bearing was positioned correctly at the time of assembly then no biggy that the pin's gone now right? If the bearing was put in wrong when it was built then the bearing should have burned up long ago?

Somebody just tell me "don't mean nothin' brother, not a thing". So I can forget about the spare parts in my oil pan please.

·
GIT UR DONE...later
990 Posts

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
IMHO it probably is not the pin out of one of your bearings, it's a extra pin that got dropped in the case at assembly. If I'm right you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Now go back to chasing crazy chicks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Roll Pin in Oil Pan

All,

I'm new here but have a 2007 Night Rod. I know it's been several years since this posting but was changing my oil over this last weekend and found the exact same thing, a very small roll pin on the drain plug magnet. I did a search on the issue and wound up here. It doesn't seem to have caused any problem.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts