Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yes it has the line running lengthwise. It is 100% a rolled steel pin, nobody uses a POS roll pin to hold a critical assembly together.

·
Premium Member
11,262 Posts
Contact RJ or Max or someone of that ilk and see if they has seen something like it. Plenty of people on this forum that can assemble an engine blindfolded and should be able to identify it.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Lonnie pull one of those stock cams you have in the garage and see if that pin is about the same size.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
It looks too short to pass through 2 objects, if neither end has any shear marks, I'm thinking bearing locator. They're not listed separately in the manual, must come with the bearing.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Cam decompressors - I'll bet that's it! I just can't see the tranny bearing roll pin coming out. And anything left in the pan would have come out in the first couple of oil changes.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
The only pin like that I can think of are the ones in the transmission shaft bearings. They are there to line the bearings up correctly in the case during assembly. I cannot see how one would get loose unless it get there during assembly.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
IF this pin is from the cams it would be shinny in the center unless it broke, the one in the pic is shinny on ONE end.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I'm telling you I'm 99% sure it's a transmission bearing alignment pin. Which means it had to have been floating around in there since 10/06.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I'm not sure are they roll pins? That would make sense. I did have the clutch side off to put the slipper clutch in a year or so ago.

Sorry I haven't been able to load a proper pic yet

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Not a cover pin. Those are solid metal dowels, not roll pins. I've looked at every picture in the manual and I'm now 99.9% sure it is a sheared off transmission bearing alignment pin. The pic in the manual that shows the second gear bearing retaining ring being installed also shows the alignment pin for the bearing. That is exactly what the pin I found looks like. Size, shape, everything.

Not possible for that to be in my engine unless it was sheared off as the engine was being assembled at the factory. 3 years later it's on my drain plug :-/

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Hmmm good thing i kept my dead transmission bearing around just for an occasion like this. Sure looks like the right pins...but I see no way for them to get out unless your case now has a 1/4" recess in the journal...

These pins are not like other I have seen. The ones I am familiar with look like a tube with a split up the middle. These pins in my hand are rolled over each other like a fruit roll-up. The seams actually overlap...

21 - 40 of 59 Posts