Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my oil today and there's a small diameter roll pin on the magnet. What's it from? It's about 1/8" or a little longer. Is this a bearing alignment pin and what does it mean that it's stuck to my draing plug?

Thanks in advance.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't upload a pic anytime soon. A roll pin, metal about 1/16" diameter and a little over 1/8" long. There's was very little other metal dust on the drain plug, less than I've seen in the past. The pin is intact and not dented or ground up.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bike runs fine also.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not trying to be a jerk off. But google "roll pin" and picture it being the dimensions I said and that's it. A roll pin is pretty much a roll pin, they all look the same.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I still can't upload a pic but in the 09 manual figure 6-117 on page 6-37, I'm almost absolutely positive that it is a transmission bearing alignment pin.

What are the consequences of one of these pins having sheared? The manual states "note alignment pins on the bearing outer race. If the pins are damaged or missingthe bearing must be replaced".

Are these "alignment" pins just for assembly purposes?

·
Noel
4,579 Posts
Those pins are captive between the case & bearings, and larger in diameter than what you have in your hand. only thing that comes to mind that might have spit a needle is the counter balancer or starter reduction gear on the crank shaft.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's not a needle bearing. It's a hollow rolled pin. Made out of thin rolled steel. Usually hammered in place through a hole to hold something to something else.

·
Noel
4,579 Posts
It's not a needle bearing. It's a hollow rolled pin. Made out of thin rolled steel. Usually hammered in place to hold through a hole to hold something to something else.
Ohhh yes forgot rollpins are hollow & might have a split along it's length.

Thinking cap back on :banghead:

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anybody have an email I could send a pic to that wouldn't mind posting it for me?

·
Noel
4,579 Posts
A variety of pins to align the case halves, or used in the cam chain tensioner system, all of which IIRC are much larger. I'm stumped.

Attachments

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
Are you absolutely certain that the pin was on the drain plug when you took it off the bike?

The reason I say this is because, more than once, when doing an oil change I've had the drain plug slip through my fingers and drop into the oil drain pan. If this is what happened to you, then it certainly is possible the pin came from someplace outside the engine.

My immediate reaction would be not to worry too much about your discovery. Even if the pin has been in the bike's sump, it doesn't necessarily indicate that has broken off some other part of the engine. Its unlikely that a piece that size and shape could make it through any of the oil passageways. And it certainly couldn't make it through the oil filter and get fed back into the top end of the engine.

It is possible that the pin got dropped into the sump at some point during assembly, and has heretofore managed to avoid getting snagged by the drain plug's magnet.

Examine the pin for signs of shearing. If it doesn't look like it broke off - and the bike isn't showing any other signs of mechanical malaise - then forget about it. There aren't a lot of critical engine parts that are held in place simply by gravity and good luck.

ps: I'm going to guess you own a dog.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm at a friends house who has gawdfersaken cats. It definately was in the sump. But I agree with Drew. No way that part went through any moving parts. I'm inclined to believe it may have been in there since birth.

·
Noel
4,579 Posts
One last stab.....The Primary chain tensioner has an oil jet at the top, we have heard of other parts popping out of that Assembly (the plunger plug/INA bearing shell).

Does this roll pin shaped part have a longitudinal slit, if it does then I would discount my last bit of speculation and side with Drew that it's a stray part that has been laying on the pan all these years.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts