Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a bothersome coolant leak on my 03 A. It seems to be leaking at the shrink fit between the smaller and larger diameter hoses that run parallel to the frame tub under the Air Box.

There isnt much leakage, a few drops after a ride, especially if I sit in traffic, however I'm worried that it will get worse and leave me stranded....

The dealer says he needs to replace all of the hoses.... and he is very full at the moment. This is a bigger and messier job than I'm comfy with...

Has anyone experienced and fixed this problem themselves? Are there any quick fixes?

Thanks!
Rodman

·
iTrader Technician
4,467 Posts
I had this problem on my 03A as well not that long ago. I went to my local HD, bought a new Gates clamp and some coolant and fixed it myself.

Only took one about an hour. It's not that hard of a job.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gmccauley

Here's where I think the leak is occuring. You can see that there is some dry coolant residue on the shrink wrap connector between the narrow diameter hard pipe and the larger diameter hose.

I dont know if a hose clamp would help or potentially hurt here....

Is this where you had your leak? What did you do specifically to fix it.. sorry I'm somewhat challenged at times!:banghead:

Thanks!

Rodman

Attachments

·
iTrader Technician
4,467 Posts
rodman said:
gmccauley

Here's where I think the leak is occuring. You can see that there is some dry coolant residue on the shrink wrap connector between the narrow diameter hard pipe and the larger diameter hose.

I dont know if a hose clamp would help or potentially hurt here....

Is this where you had your leak? What did you do specifically to fix it.. sorry I'm somewhat challenged at times!:banghead:

Thanks!

Rodman
Yup, that, where mine leaked too. The clamp where the hard hose meats the softer hose.

I just replaced that clamp. In order to get to it, you have to remove the airbox (top & bottom) though.

I drained the coolant, then I undid the softer hose from the radiator and took off the vertical hose to the water pump. Then I took it all off the bike to cut the clamp off easier. I then test fit it backon the bike and marked it. Then I pulled it back off to apply heat to the new clamp. Then reinstalled and filled her with coolant. Been fine since.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Rodman,

You can try the easy fix. Put a heat gun on that clamp and heat it until the writing turns grey. (it will turn back green as it cools)

This has cured one of my hoses.

Changing the clamps isn't a difficult thing to do. If you do decide to try this, use a soldering iron as a hot knife to cut through that gates clamp. Clean things up and re-apply a gates clamp. You can get them through Napa at a fraction of the cost of the delaer.

You might want to drain the coolant first, but it isn't ESSENTIAL. You'll only spill a couple cups full, and you can wash the bike when your done. :2cents:

·
iTrader Technician
4,467 Posts
rjrivero said:
Put a heat gun on that clamp and heat it until the writing turns grey. (it will turn back green as it cools)
I would try that first.

RJ, I thought they were a heat once type of clamp? I didn't think you could shrink them again after the first time.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man that was some speedy fast response! Thanks guys...

Why is the dealer telling me that "gotta replace the whole systems, flush it etc!"

I'll try the heat gun as a cheap and cheerful hail Mary move just in case! If that doesn't work then replacing the clamp sounds like an easy solution.

You guys and the Forum rock!

Rodman

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys is there another name for the gates clamp? I moved to the UK and dont have the same shops that exist back home...

And do you remember the size?

Gates clamp googles to something that looks like a std issue hose clamp

Rodman

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
gmccauley said:
I would try that first.

RJ, I thought they were a heat once type of clamp? I didn't think you could shrink them again after the first time.
That's what they say. BUT if it wasn't heated to maximum shrinkage the first time, you can re-apply heat and get it to shrink the rest of the way.

RJ

·
Steve
626 Posts
Dang RJ, always thinkin. I had to replace my gates on my Killerglass because I didn't like the way it looked. Never thought about soldering iron. I did the ole razor blade and while trying to be extra careful with it off the bike I slipped and put the razor blade right into my thumb. But, the good news is the KG turned out awesome!!! haha

·
Registered
181 Posts
i got a hose clamp "old school" pealed off the shrink clamp, put the hose clamp and its been over 2 years no leak... and it took 5 minutes

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Jp96 said:
i got a hose clamp "old school" pealed off the shrink clamp, put the hose clamp and its been over 2 years no leak... and it took 5 minutes
floydster said:
Thats what I would do, easy fix.
A word of warning. The tube that carries this coolant is aluminum. I know there are radiators made of aluminum, but the tubing is pretty thin. By using a worm drive hose clamp, it is possible to crush the tube. The gates clamps are asthetically pleasing (to my eye) but also are there for a reason. IMVHO.

·
iTrader Technician
4,467 Posts
rjrivero said:
The gates clamps are asthetically pleasing (to my eye) but also are there for a reason. IMVHO.
:them:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I suspected the heat shrink clamp might have been there because of the fragility of the tubing.

Thanks for the note. Guess caution is needed if using a regular hose clamp. Gonna give it the heat gun over the weekend and see if it fixes it.

Rodman

·
243 Posts
Mine looked like it was leaking there, and it was actually the Overflow bottle cap. The plastic tube was cracked on the where it connects to the black overflow hose. Was dripping down to the hose you mentioned and dripping off that connection from the large to small. Just wanted to mention this to ya! GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
PhatHD said:
Mine looked like it was leaking there, and it was actually the Overflow bottle cap. The plastic tube was cracked on the where it connects to the black overflow hose. Was dripping down to the hose you mentioned and dripping off that connection from the large to small. Just wanted to mention this to ya! GOOD LUCK

Thanks PhatHD

I need to remove the airbox op and botom to fix the shrink clamp... I'll make sure to look at the overflow cap at the same time. Max noted that this was a good upgrade item for all older vrods...

·
Here for the ride
355 Posts
Rodman,

You can try the easy fix. Put a heat gun on that clamp and heat it until the writing turns grey. (it will turn back green as it cools)

This has cured one of my hoses.

Changing the clamps isn't a difficult thing to do. If you do decide to try this, use a soldering iron as a hot knife to cut through that gates clamp. Clean things up and re-apply a gates clamp. You can get them through Napa at a fraction of the cost of the delaer.

You might want to drain the coolant first, but it isn't ESSENTIAL. You'll only spill a couple cups full, and you can wash the bike when your done. :2cents:
RJ,

What's the size of the Gates clamp needed to purchase it from a NAPA store?

Thanks,

Leo

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
I believe they're 2".

1 - 20 of 20 Posts