Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. It has been awhile since I've been on the forum. My question is abt 2005 screaming eagle v-rod. When I'm riding and I nail it , my clutch slips going into second. I've heard that it could be the oil that I use.(castrol 20/50 full syn) Or should I look into changing my clutch.:wazzup:

·
Chad
263 Posts
Same problem, with only 14k miles on it I wouldn't think it would be time to change it. Didn't think that it could be the fluid.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yes it could be the oil. Oil for motocycles have friction modifiers added to them that help the clutch grip. Automotive oils are not the same. Most folks here are using either AMSoil or HD Syn3 but a few also use Mobile1 VTwin but it can be hard to find.

·
Isld Shite Disturber
1,040 Posts
bleed the clutch.......these things should be re-bled every year as regular maintenance and while your in there you may as well change the clutch fluid as well.....this will do wonders to the operation of the clutch.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm having the same problem. Bought the bike with roughly 6,000 miles on it and changed oil immediately. Now has 10,000. I bought the Harley synthetic 20W-50 and have notice it slipping occasionally. I'll try the clutch bleed first. I have not looked at my Harley manuals yet, but I assume the clutch can be adjusted. Other than that, bike runs great.

·
Justpassinthru
8,976 Posts
I would change oil before next ride and get Amsoil in it as I got 30,000 miles on mine and still strong clutch. I know that works best in my bike and keeps me happy.

·
ICON Clad Youth
141 Posts
I've had the same problem for a long time now, and everybody insisted that I probably had a worn-out clutch. It ONLY slips during a fast, hard, high-RPM 1-2 shift. The dealer never verified it, but claims the clutch fluid was changed during a regular maintenance service. My '06 D now has 40,000 miles. I always minimize clutch slip when I ride and shift firmly. It has never made sense to me that it would have been worn out so long ago and still work fine today in regular riding, unless it was a piece of crap in the 1st place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.