Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a slipper clutch, and why is it better than the one on my '06?

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Has something to do woth cornering. When you shift down going into a corner and let out the clutch, it slips and won't jerk the tire...

Racing bikes have them...

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
It has to do with upsetting the bike. Roadracers use them so that they can brake deep into a corner and the slipper clutch allows going down the gears to be a smoother processs without upsetting the balance of the bike.

Next time you go to stop at a light or a stop sign go down two gears and realease the clutch and see what happens. The slipper clutch does what it says it, allows the clutch to slip ever so slightly so you do not get any jerking or the rear end or wheel hop.

My guess is that there are so many people that can not blip the throttle correctly when downshifting that Harley put it on the bike so those people would not get hurt.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
I personally can't wait to pull it apart and take a peek!!!

·
Registered
661 Posts
the ducati's had them for a while now.

·
1,016 Posts
It's a direct replacement for all current product. The changes are internal, no more shuttering at funky revs, and it takes a beating, much more robust than the CVO/SCX clutch.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
knightenforcer said:
the ducati's had them for a while now.
Sorry you are wrong....Ducati's do not have slipper clutches...even the newest 1098S does not

·
Banned
15,036 Posts
Night Ryder said:
What is a slipper clutch, and why is it better than the one on my '06?
Put synthetic automobile grade oil in your engine and you'll have a slipper clutch in no time. Much cheaper than replacing your current clutch...:stooge:

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
JDR_ROD said:
Sorry you are wrong....Ducati's do not have slipper clutches...even the newest 1098S does not
Ohh I love the sound of The Ducati Dri Clutch. So what you guys are saying is that when I down shift as I am comming up to a stop and the back tire skids a bit I am doing damage??

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
luxlamf said:
Ohh I love the sound of The Ducati Dri Clutch. So what you guys are saying is that when I down shift as I am comming up to a stop and the back tire skids a bit I am doing damage??
No, it just demonstrates that you don't know how to ride... :hidesbeh:

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
LL Cool K said:
No, it just demonstrates that you don't know how to ride... :hidesbeh:
Look Pops I know you where excited cuz you thought a Slipper clutch meant you could now ride around in your house coat, drawers and SLIPPERS with ease but it don't mean that. You need an Automatic Transmission.

·
Registered
661 Posts
JDR_ROD said:
They do, only they call it by a diff name, same benefits:

The Adler Power Torque Clutch

http://www.ducati.com/en/bikes/my2007/ModelPage.jhtml?family=Monster&model=M695-07

from the website:

"The Adler Power Torque Clutch, a Ducati exclusive, makes the 695 even friendlier, safer and more comfortable. It provides a clutch pull that is amazingly light, while also including ‘slipper’ clutch benefits. A ‘slipper’ clutch, typically found on race bikes, benefits the rider by reducing the destabilizing rear wheel ‘lock-up’ or ‘chatter’ phenomenon when downshifting aggressively. It also benefits advanced riders, and racers alike, for the very same reasons. "

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
knightenforcer said:
They do, only they call it by a diff name, same benefits:

The Adler Power Torque Clutch

http://www.ducati.com/en/bikes/my2007/ModelPage.jhtml?family=Monster&model=M695-07

from the website:

"The Adler Power Torque Clutch, a Ducati exclusive, makes the 695 even friendlier, safer and more comfortable. It provides a clutch pull that is amazingly light, while also including ‘slipper’ clutch benefits. A ‘slipper’ clutch, typically found on race bikes, benefits the rider by reducing the destabilizing rear wheel ‘lock-up’ or ‘chatter’ phenomenon when downshifting aggressively. It also benefits advanced riders, and racers alike, for the very same reasons. "

That's not the same thing

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
luxlamf said:
So what you guys are saying is that when I down shift as I am comming up to a stop and the back tire skids a bit I am doing damage??
If you really are doing this, its not so much that you are damaging the transmission, as you are risking losing control of the bike.

IMHO, Harley didn't go to the slipper clutch to help V-Rod riders put in quicker lap times. They did it because the high-compression engine means that riders really should be "blipping" the throttle when they downshift. And in my experience, very few Harley riders do this. They should. The Slipper clutch is more about helping riders keep control of the bike.

PS: We've discussed slipper clutches and throttle-blipping on the forum before (See this thread) - One can only wonder where the engineers at H-D came up with the idea of putting one on the V-Rod.....

·
Registered
661 Posts
JDR_ROD said:
That's not the same thing
Same benefits. I do know back in 2003, I was looking for a 2nd bike and walked into a ducati dealership, I was looking at one of their monster models and I was told it has a slipper clutch, since then it has stuck in my mind. I ended up buying a buell BTW.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
knightenforcer said:
Same benefits. I do know back in 2003, I was looking for a 2nd bike and walked into a ducati dealership, I was looking at one of their monster models and I was told it has a slipper clutch, since then it has stuck in my mind. I ended up buying a buell BTW.

That salesman did noit know jack....if it was true then why would there flagship bike the 1098S not have it???

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
I like it, I have caused the rear end to kick out a few times by down shifting in a corner, I try to double clutch it to get the engine and gearbox at the same speed, but sometimes I don't get it right and that is where this will work great.

·
Banned
15,036 Posts
JDR_ROD said:
That salesman did noit know jack....if it was true then why would there flagship bike the 1098S not have it???
That means the Ducati/HD merger could be true! :angeldev:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts