Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive heard a few times now that the 08 and newer DX has a slipper clutch, and its just never been explained to me what the difference is. So, just curious, if someone would like to explain the difference to me between the "regular" clutch in the 07 and the "slipper" in the 08 and newer. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
110 Posts
From Wikipedia

A slipper clutch (also known as a slider clutch or back-torque limiter) is a specialized clutch developed for performance oriented motorcycles to mitigate the effects of engine braking when riders decelerate as they enter corners.

They are designed to partially disengage or "slip" when the rear wheel tries to drive the engine faster than it would run under its own power. The engine braking forces in conventional clutches will normally be transmitted back along the drive chain causing the rear wheel to hop, chatter or lose traction. This is especially noted on larger displacement four-stroke engines, which have greater engine braking than their two-stroke or smaller displacement counterparts. Slipper clutches eliminate this extra loading on the rear suspension giving riders a more predictable ride and minimize the risk of over-reving the engine during downshifts. Slipper clutches can also prevent a catastrophic rear wheel lockup in case of engine seizure or transmission failure. Generally, the amount of force needed to disengage the clutch is adjustable to suit the application.

More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slipper_clutch

Good question.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man! Couldnt have asked for a better response!

Any install one on a pre 08 DX? Expensive? Any difference in feel of taking off from a stop or upshifting?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

Any install one on a pre 08 DX? Expensive? Any difference in feel of taking off from a stop or upshifting?
Tons have and it's on my list to do at the next oil change. Search the forum, "how to" is well covered, even a video by Max, the guy that made this forum what it is today. Clutch can be had for about $200 and can be a DIY project.

·
Registered
74 Posts
CLutch feels lighter on the fingers and arm muscles esp if you get stuck in traffic. The actuation seems to happen over a smaller movement of the lever, much easier to get a slick two-fingered change.

·
Jeff/Modistrator
6,136 Posts
All you need to know for the installation can be found HERE.

Thanks Max!

·
Premium Member
759 Posts

Not on a DX, but I had one put on my VRSCA. Think I paid $200 for the clutch and 1 hour labor at my HD dealer to install. it's sweet...and works exactly as advertised...

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
THe slipper clutch feels and hooks better than the stock clutch. and no more wheel hop with high rpm downshifts. You will need the HD clutch tool to instal it though.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
THe slipper clutch feels and hooks better than the stock clutch. and no more wheel hop with high rpm downshifts.
:them: 95% of the time, I hit the correct rpm range when blipping my throttle on downshifts, but the couple of times I was too low in the rpm range when I engaged the lower gear with the OEM clutch really caused a pucker factor for me....

now it's total confidence that the slipper has got me covered...

·
Registered
87 Posts
hey guys my 03 needs a clutch,what do uall think i should put in it ? and where is a good cheaper place to get one..thanks

·
That U in my mirror?
1,511 Posts
Slipper; from Zanotti's or Chicago Harley.

·
Registered
64 Posts
ok i'm a new rider with an 09 aw , slipper clutch right . how come when i was riding tonight heading into the corner in 2nd and the dropped into first it seemed to lock up the rear wheel for a second ? is that normal ? i'd riden the same road before but never as agrassive as i did tonight . i thaught the slipper would prevent that .

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
it worked as designed - mine does that once in awhile too when aggressively downshifting. it seems to take a second when aggressive for the clutch to let go, but it always releases.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the input guys! Slipper clutch has now been added to my "TO DO" list!:D

·
Registered
181 Posts
are slipper-clutches on the 2010 dx

1 - 20 of 53 Posts