Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I had the opportunity to ride an '08 NRS today and had a question for the owners. I'm coming from a sportbike that also has a slipper clutch but I found that on the NRS the downshifts were extremely smooth. I'm wondering if the '07's have the same smoothness or is this because of the slipper clutch?

Also, in my short ride I found that I really didn't need to blip the throttle when downshifting. Is this how HD's are ridden or are you folks giving the throttle a quick rev when downshifting?
Perhaps it's because I kept the revs relatively low in the group demo ride.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
The smoothness was from the slipper clutch.. The 07s aren't that smooth if unless you blip the throttle; then you can really smooth it out.. ;)

You can install the slipper in the '07s if you want.. :D

·
HOLY RODKNOCKERS !
156 Posts
Evidently thiers a problem with some 07's that are pumped up. I read the article HD says it handles more HP so, I'm guessing thats why the 08's have it.jmo

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm gonna say that the clutch just makes it easyier to ride. I havent talked to anyone on here that has a clutch slipping issue with there 07 but they do tend to shift alittle rough but def not something that should turn you away..

The new 08 Dx has the 1250 but not a huge amount of power upgrade .. Intake exhaust and a tune should equal them out.. and the 07 clutch handles that with out a problem

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
I heard the main benefit was when you are downshifting while riding hard, the wheel wont' lock up on you. I don't know about all the other stuff.

·
Gone
2,012 Posts
vrodderD said:
I heard the main benefit was when you are downshifting while riding hard, the wheel wont' lock up on you. I don't know about all the other stuff.
That's about it... I also think there is reduced effort that is advertised also with the 08's

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
I've ridden with it.. It is reduced pull, it is supposed to be a bit stronger than the '07 stock clutch, and it definitely helps when downshifting hard when entering turns.. You don't have to be as careful and allows you to really downshift hard into a corner and then power out..

·
Registered
479 Posts
the reduced effort is worth it, i demoed one and now want that clutch, its so easy to pull in and hold

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
The clutch is retrofitable to all V-Rods. I believe the retail cost is $280 or so. I tired my best to get the MoCo guys to give them as a free retrofit, but no love.

·
Darth Veeness
2,014 Posts
SMOKIN ROD said:
Evidently thiers a problem with some 07's that are pumped up. I read the article HD says it handles more HP so, I'm guessing thats why the 08's have it.jmo
Part of the reason the 08s have the slipper clutch is the 1250 motor. Another reason is that Harley updated the design by adding it. The moco has been upgrading most of it's bikes the 08s got the slipper clutch, the 1250 motor and the 240 rear tires. The moco may have added the clutch in anticipation of the bigger motor.

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
tagrat said:
Part of the reason the 08s have the slipper clutch is the 1250 motor. Another reason is that Harley updated the design by adding it. The moco has been upgrading most of it's bikes the 08s got the slipper clutch, the 1250 motor and the 240 rear tires. The moco may have added the clutch in anticipation of the bigger motor.
Uh.. that happened in 2007.. :chair:

·
Steve
1,402 Posts
rjrivero said:
The clutch is retrofitable to all V-Rods. I believe the retail cost is $280 or so. I tired my best to get the MoCo guys to give them as a free retrofit, but no love.
Will this fit my 05A and is this complete? Do you have a part number? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
VRod RS said:
The smoothness was from the slipper clutch.. The 07s aren't that smooth if unless you blip the throttle; then you can really smooth it out.. ;)

You can install the slipper in the '07s if you want.. :D
:them:

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
tagrat said:

The bigger motor has only 5 more hp, the screamin' eagle had 135. The "new" slipper clutch was simply an enticement. After market clutches give many choices.

·
Registered
223 Posts
vrodderD said:
I locked up the wheel last night on my 08 downshifting/engine breaking to a red light. Just enough to hear a little chirp. I let a couple buddies ride my bike and the first thing out of their mouth when they got off was "I can't believe how smooth it shifts".

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
fafafooey said:
I locked up the wheel last night on my 08 downshifting/engine breaking to a red light. Just enough to hear a little chirp. I let a couple buddies ride my bike and the first thing out of their mouth when they got off was "I can't believe how smooth it shifts".
Well.. it is still possible to do, but it is much more difficult and less likely..

·
Registered
497 Posts
fafafooey said:
Yes it is a big improvement over my 07's clutch. Going to neutral with a very light touch. Being 35% stronger than the 07 clutch and the upgrade cost makes it a must mod. Forgot to mention how you can pull the lever with one finger.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts