Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've had my slipper clutch installed for a few months but something seems a little off... I have a clunk going into first gear that I didn't have with the stock clutch, and I would have swore I felt it slip on accel a couple times. So I'm going to pull it out, disassemble, inspect, clean, soak and put it back together. But I have a couple questions:

What is the best way to treat the plates to make them like new. I assume they are soaked in dino oil from the factory, and I am using AMSoil. Is there a way to treat them to get them clean (some kind of solvent) and then soak them in AMSoil before putting it back together?

Also, I noticed in the service manual that you should mark the clutch before removing it from the basket so it can be installed in the same position. From the videos available here it doesn't say anything about how it goes in (I just popped it right in). Does it go in a certain way (e.g. is there an Up or Down to the clutch when you put it in the basket?) If there isn't, why should the clutch be marked when you take it out?

This is probably all overkill, but hey... I like playing with my toys!!

Thanks for any info!!

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
call LubeGard's technical assistance line and ask them.You will be better informed if you could let them know the type of friction material used on the clutches.
Barnett also offers a bench stack height,which is also the factory spec.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
another thing is,on my TC bike,they mention in the manual that to full and the wrong viscosity will cause a clutch to drag,especially cold.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also heard that about being too full... As far as the viscosity, I'm running AMSOil 20w-50, which is what I believe it calls for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts