Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a slipper clutch on my 2007 vrscx about 6000 miles ago.
I have heard the slipper is a bit noisier than the stock and I noted this when first installed. Lately it seems to be getting louder especially on deceleration. It is getting so loud I can hear it over my v-modded pipes.

Just why does a clutch produce clattering noise and how can I minimize it? WHats going on here?

Noise is most pronounced in the 2500-3500 RPM range.

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
Oil contamination (dirty oil ) can make it chatter louder than normal

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts

·
brett
9,338 Posts
could it be the bolts that people loosen to line up the plates, so they can get the clutch basket in, maybe they have worked loose or were not re tightend up properly once the basket went in , i know nothing just a thought ou of my tiny mind,lol

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
could it be the bolts that people loosen to line up the plates, so they can get the clutch basket in, maybe they have worked loose or were not re tightend up properly once the basket went in , i know nothing just a thought ou of my tiny mind,lol
I did check and re-torqued all bolts. Thanks

·
OLD FART
1,639 Posts
Mine has been in for 3200 mi and never a noise.Thats strange. Maybe my CFR is so loud I cant hear it.

·
VROD JUNKIE
1,390 Posts
That was going to be my suggestion too..

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The clutch came in with one of the tabs on the front friction plate broken off. I had to replace it. Also the friction plates were not lined up properly. I had to loosen up the 4 bolts and reposition the plates to get it installed.There was no noise then. It appears to be getting worse. I almost believe it was previously installed and is a returned item but I have no way of verifying that.

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I removed the slipper clutch and still have the problem. Back to square one. MY other thought is Mobile - 1 oil. I changed to it about the same time as the slipper and the beginning of the noise.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I just can't believe that Mobile1 motorcycle oil,or any of the other top preferred brands are the problem.
The clutches in these bikes are noisy,especially when hot.My 03 has a louder rattle because I run the hardened SE basket,but not as loud as the worn stock basket was.
There are other "things" to look at that can make noise,such as the big gear,and the drive gear.
I would be looking at other components if there is noise w both clutch packs.Inspect the basket for wear.Inspect the center drive hub.The ring gear needs a look.

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Found my problem at long last.

Well I found my clattering noise problem. I am a bit embarrassed but I learned a lot about my bike.

First assumption, after hearing the noise, was of a clutch issue so a few days ago I removed the clutch in its entirety and looked for problems but found none. This was after removing the slipper and reinstalling the original. I reinstalled the Slipper clutch hoping something I just did would make the problem go away. A test ride proved it had not gone away. I learned how a clutch works however, in great detail.

I then paused and reflected on what I had done lately hoping to pin down where I had gone wrong. At 80,000 miles I did a complete service including spark plugs and cable greasing. I had the whole top of the bike off so I decided to go that same route looking for loose something. The battery box was not installed properly and the starter solenoid and fuse box were just hanging there. Also the load equalizer I installed for led turn signals was loose so I rebuilt the entire area ensuring wires were not stretched and all things were where they were supposed to be. No luck here. I insulated the load equalizer using Styrofoam wrap.

Next, out of desperation, I removed every cover and fender on the bike and went for a ride. To my delight the noise disappeared but I have had that happen before.

Now I have the Ghost Riders chrome radiator screens installed and due to poor design are rather loose so I decided to use 3M double sided tape to properly secure those suckers. I reinstalled just the radiator cover and the noise is still gone.

Next step I reinstalled the air box and the two triangular covers that mount just behind the steering head. Went for a ride and the noise is back. When trying to determine where the noise was coming from, I leaned forward on the air box to listen more closely and the noise stopped. I straightened up and the noise came back. I did this a dozen times and each time I leaned forward the noise went away. I was leaning on the Air box.

Went back home and removed the air box and discovered two ugly holes in the inner shell of the air box. Picture one below has the arrows pointing to the two holes. Picture two shows the radiator cap with the customary two protrusions coming from it. NOte the discoloration on the left most protrusion. I matched the top protrusion to the holes in the air box and they coincided.
Apparently the radiator cap was banging on the air box and had actually worn the two holes in it. Close inspection showed the radiator cap was sitting above the coolant bottle hitting the air box.
To resolve the issue, I loosened every clamp on the tube the cap was installed on along the right side of the bike and then used a pry bar and dropped the tube about ½” further into the rubber coolant tubes they are attached to. This solved the issue and I have not heard a peep out of the bike since. I have put about 300 miles on the bike since the fix.

As to how the tube got so high – About 15K miles ago I installed the Chrome Engine cover kit and I had to remove that tube to get the front cover off and the new one back on. It is really surprising it has taken so long for the issue to arise. I suspect that once the cap cut through the air box it made the air box a big echo chamber between the inner and outer shells and amplified the noise of the banging. My V-Mod pipes probably had something to do with masking the noise until the holes appeared and the echo effect came about.

At any rate the problem is resolved and I am once again a happy camper. On to the next problem.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Good find and that is what troubleshooting is all about. I had a similar issue with my '02 where the spring clamp that holds the overflow hose onto the nipple of the radiator pipe was facing the airbox cover and rubbed a hole in it like yours :banghead:

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
At any rate the problem is resolved and I am once again a happy camper. On to the next problem.
I'm glad it was something simple.:notworth:

Now that you have become a mechanic,I hope you have learned a better understanding of why the owner of a vehicle could be charged as high as 4 hours of straight time to find and fix something like this.
When I was a kid in a Lincoln Mercury dealer,I worked a dept called Squeaks,Rattles and Leaks.I hated it!

·
Noel
4,605 Posts
Well I found my clattering noise problem. When trying to determine where the noise was coming from, I leaned forward on the air box to listen more closely and the noise stopped. I straightened up and the noise came back. I did this a dozen times and each time I leaned forward the noise went away. I was leaning on the Air box..
I have mental visions of you humping your cover....:barf:

Another noise to watch for, is the rubber grommets at the front bracket, where the air box tin pins go, one of mine was worn badly, allowing the pin and bracket to harmonize at certain RPMs, I was chasing that for weeks. :banghead:

·
Sleep is over-rated
2,423 Posts
leave to john to have the strange issues

glad it was an easy fix for ya!!

ride on

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm glad it was something simple.:notworth:

Now that you have become a mechanic,I hope you have learned a better understanding of why the owner of a vehicle could be charged as high as 4 hours of straight time to find and fix something like this.
When I was a kid in a Lincoln Mercury dealer,I worked a dept called Squeaks,Rattles and Leaks.I hated it!
If I was a hired mechanic I would have made a fortune on this problem. I must have spent at least 100 hours finding this problem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts