Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Earthbound for good.
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I tell if I have a slipper clutch without taking the side cover off? Don't think the PO did much to this bike. If I let the clutch out quickly when downshifting the rear tire barks a bit. OEM clutch? Best place to get a slipper? Thanks.

Richard

·
Tie One On
1,647 Posts
Can I tell if I have a slipper clutch without taking the side cover off? Don't think the PO did much to this bike. If I let the clutch out quickly when downshifting the rear tire barks a bit. OEM clutch? Best place to get a slipper? Thanks.

Richard
on my first R model long ago I hit second while downshifting from a very heated run to slow my ass down going into a corner. I mean I hit it double downshifting from around 4000 rpm and I only got a wake me up wild shaking from the entire bike.

I run a barnetts harley purchased slipper since then because I have a tendancy to double downshift alot on this bike when going hot into corners.

if you have any concerns at all buy a slipper it is good insurance

·
Earthbound for good.
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New clutch enroute along with a gasket in case I need it. I can do pics of my first wrenching on a Harley if anyone wants.

·
Earthbound for good.
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So far not much of a diff with the slipper but I only ran it a couple miles down the canyon before turning back. Seemed easier on the left hand and only chirped the rear tire once, but again, this is on gravel. Waiting on a new clutch lever before I can take it out for a shakedown cruise.

·
Earthbound for good.
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shakedown cruise didn't work out so well. 1st ride with slipper no probs other than dumping the bike and not being able to pick it up with my scrawny ass. New lever installed and topped up the oil. Bike wouldn't move out, clutch slipping badly.

I bled a little fluid out of the slave cylinder and that seemed to fix it, so departed the fix. About 3 miles from the house noticed the clutch seemed to slip on acceleration; since I had a "slipper" clutch figured that might be part of it so kept going.

When I got to pavement and started the uphill climb toward the village the slippage continued to get worse, so I turned around and headed to the barn to avoid doing any damage. Finally threw in the towel about 3 miles from home, just no way it was going to climb all the hills to the house. Eventually made it home, gathered up my tools, wnet back and bled a little more fluid and limped it home. Only used the clutch twice.

Reading threads here I'll be doing a fluid change for sure. I'm willing to bet this bike has sat waiting for a doting owner, and the fluid looks like liquid cow turds. Smells a little like it too. I put about 250 miles on it before installing the slipper with no NOTICEABLE slipping, but I wasn't looking for it, either.

I'm trying to come up with a reason why I didn't have problems before but do now. One thing the shop manual says is that oil overservice can cause clutch slipping, and I did overservice it. I read the procedure wrong and am trying to get the level right now. I used HD recommended Amsoil 20W-50, no slipping agents. Anybody had problems related to oil level?

Thanks for the help.

·
Earthbound for good.
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drained the clutch reservoir. Gross. Is this what DOT4 does? Never seen DOT3 do that, it looks like someone poured sawdust in there. I'm amazed there was any clutch at all. Pulled the 2ndary clutch actuator apart, it looked okay except the seals seemed to be disintegrating, black goo coming off them. I'll get everything cleaned up and put back together this week sometime. Eventually gotta look at the brake reservoirs, I'm expecting more of the same there.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,608 Posts
Dot 4 is same basic type but higher temperature rating of Dot 3.
Never understood why HD went to Dot 4 with the Brembo equipped bikes.
It draws moisture and will degrade rubber parts over time, and will cause paint and powder coat damage with exposure.
My 04 with the older Kelsey Hayes brakes uses the Dot 5, silicone base, and never have any of those issues.
Every couple years I pull out the vacuum bleeder and suck new fluid through the system.
As for the slipper, it should not slip while driving the bike, the slipper is a mechanical disconnect during backloading to prevent rear wheel lock up. Basically a spring loaded ramp system.
If it does slip it's either worn plates, oil uncompatibility or other issue.
Your master/slave unit only disengages the clutch, the clutch springs hold the plates together for drive. A possible clog could perhaps prevent proper flow of fluid back to the reservoir and perhaps cause slippage, a good flushing and fluid replacement will likely cure this if the issue, unless there is gunk in the master/piston that can't come out without disassembly and thorough cleaning.
Good luck with the job. Hope you get it sorted out.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Dot 4 is same basic type but higher temperature rating of Dot 3.
Never understood why HD went to Dot 4 with the Brembo equipped bikes.
It draws moisture and will degrade rubber parts over time, and will cause paint and powder coat damage with exposure.
My 04 with the older Kelsey Hayes brakes uses the Dot 5, silicone base, and never have any of those issues.
Every couple years I pull out the vacuum bleeder and suck new fluid through the system.
As for the slipper, it should not slip while driving the bike, the slipper is a mechanical disconnect during backloading to prevent rear wheel lock up. Basically a spring loaded ramp system.
If it does slip it's either worn plates, oil uncompatibility or other issue.
Your master/slave unit only disengages the clutch, the clutch springs hold the plates together for drive. A possible clog could perhaps prevent proper flow of fluid back to the reservoir and perhaps cause slippage, a good flushing and fluid replacement will likely cure this if the issue, unless there is gunk in the master/piston that can't come out without disassembly and thorough cleaning.
Good luck with the job. Hope you get it sorted out.
DOT 5 cannot be used with vehicles with ABS as it aerates in the micro bores. That would then give you 2 different fluids on the production line as not all vehicles have ABS, and that is a recipe for disaster, along with the confusion at service centres etc. Much simpler and safer to have a clean year/equipment type change.

·
Earthbound for good.
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All sorted. Cleaned everything up at both ends, fresh DOT4 all through the system, works better than it's ever worked in the short time I've had it. Two notes, it's curious that there's not a snap ring holding the master piston in place but the brake master has one, and Ronnie's doesn't list the master repair kit for the clutch as available while the brake kit is.

I'll have to tend to the brake systems soon as they gotta be in the same shape. For now I just wanna go ride!

·
EXCELSIOR
8,608 Posts
any one know way you cant rebuild brambo calipers on the v rod
They're rebuildable, HD just doesn't sell seal kits for them. Do a site search here, there are others that discovered part numbers for appropriate replacement seals, either direct from Brembo or I think it could have been a Honda part.

Never mind, I looked it up, here is the info, thank Stever975

"This topic has been discussed several times. Here's a thread that mentions two sources for rebuild kits.

One is from a Honda:
45109-961-006 Dust shield (the skinny one, need four per caliper)
45209-961-006 Oil seal (the thick one, need four per caliper)
The other source is QTM Inc. for Brembo parts. It's mentioned in this post. You'll need to call (714-575-5000) and ask for a set of seals for a Harley Brembo caliper."

·
Earthbound for good.
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Brakes are done, no sawdust anywhere. Good thing I decided to get to this early, the rear reservoir was down to the point where it was nearly sucking air and was the color of black coffee and cloudy.

The fronts must have been done recently, the fluid in the reservoir was the color of weak iced tea and clear. Fluid ran clear pretty quickly on both sides. Good pads front and rear. Bought a MoPro Mini Bleeder, that thing made the job a breeze, shoulda bought one years ago.

·
Earthbound for good.
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went 120 miles through the mountains and desert Sunday, no issues. Clutch and brakes working flawlessly, glad I went with the slipper.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.