Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
james
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a totally stock 07 DX coming up on 20,000 miles very soon... i notice today while holding steady between 3000 - 4000 rpm's in first and second gear a slight miss... it is like a fowled plug on a V-8, after 4000 it goes away... starts fine, idols fine, accelerates fine... could it be bad gas or ignition coil going bad... a fowled plug would be more noticable have only 2 cylinders as far as i know...more noticable in first then second which i am assuming that it is probly doing it other gear but less noticable...i am under warrenty until next month so any ideas would help...

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Your "miss" in the 3-4K rpm range is mostly normal. The EPA monitors that RPM level for smog control, pollution, etc and the Mfgr sets the A/F mixture real lean at that RPM to get past the EPA requirements or mandates

You will probably, actually eventually, want to put some loud pipes and maybe a high flow air filter at which time you will need to have the bike re-tuned because of the A/F changes these mods make to the engine. At that time you will add a fueler of some sort and have it dynoed which will resolve the issue.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Your "miss" in the 3-4K rpm range is mostly normal. The EPA monitors that RPM level for smog control, pollution, etc and the Mfgr sets the A/F mixture real lean at that RPM to get past the EPA requirements or mandates

You will probably, actually eventually, want to put some loud pipes and maybe a high flow air filter at which time you will need to have the bike re-tuned because of the A/F changes these mods make to the engine. At that time you will add a fueler of some sort and have it dynoed which will resolve the issue.
that is exactly what the problem is.. to make emissions standards the mixture is so lean in that area it just doesn`t run correctly.. and adding a little fuel with some type of tuning system will make it run correctly..

·
MSF Ridercoach
276 Posts
it gets really annoying when you are holding it there and start going down a steep hill that causes you to roll even faster. You will notice it even more then..

·
james
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the advice but i never noticed it over the last four years... the plugs will get replaced at 20,000 thousand which i am at 19,700 right now... oh joy i notice last night that my rear brake switch [email protected]#ed up again... my poor bike is in bad shape need to find some money some where... my front tire is down to the wear bump, my back tire has about .010 left till it hit the wear bump, brake light switch failed again and a slight miss that i never noticed before...

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
thanks for the advice but i never noticed it over the last four years... the plugs will get replaced at 20,000 thousand which i am at 19,700 right now... oh joy i notice last night that my rear brake switch [email protected]#ed up again... my poor bike is in bad shape need to find some money some where... my front tire is down to the wear bump, my back tire has about .010 left till it hit the wear bump, brake light switch failed again and a slight miss that i never noticed before...
:deal: Missing and Skipping
Accel Rear Brake Switch

·
Registered
119 Posts
i have a totally stock 07 DX coming up on 20,000 miles very soon... i notice today while holding steady between 3000 - 4000 rpm's in first and second gear a slight miss.

My bike did the same thing when it was stock. Hell, it even does it sometime now with new exhaust and fuel manager.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts