Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Woverby
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had "an incident" this year while at Sturgis. My T-Bag came off my back rest and managed to get lodged between my rear tire and fender. My rear tire locked up at around 70MPH. It was quite the ride for a while, and it felt like eternity before the bike finally slowed down. I fished tailed a few times left and right, but managed not to high side.

The short of it is I have damage to my rear inner fender. The black plastic license plate mount, and the area where the turn signals are connected are trashed. Some damage and cracks elsewhere on the inner fender as well.

Nothing much survived in my T-Bag.

So, with many people doing mods, what are the odds of finding a used inner fender for my '09 AW? I will post in the "wanted" section, but wanted to see if there are other places to find a replacement without going thru the dealer. I foolishly ordered a new tail light assembly from the dealer (also trashed), and it has gone into the "back-order black hole".

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
I'm sure you will find someone on the forum willing to part with it. As for the brakelight you should be able to find one on the forum pretty easily. There are a few in the classifieds right now. Also check Ebay for the inner fender. If you have to order one then go through Zanotti's or Chicago H-D because they give 20% off internet orders. Good luck.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
cancel the tail light order with the dealer, and pick up a stocker from here on the forum or eBay. I would offer you mine, but I gave it to a forum member in need last year.

·
Registered
248 Posts
glad to hear you kept the rubber side down!

·
Registered
188 Posts
...and I thought locking my rear tire up at 60 mph when I didn't see a stop sign was fun. I'm glad you're okay!

Chicago Harley is one place you can try (helps if you know the part number so if you're not sure what they are, you might want to get the part numbers from your local dealer). Sometimes people sell stuff like that on ebay too.

Good luck!

·
Woverby
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all of you for the advice. After the "incident", I designed the "Wayne-o-matic, 3010 sport luggage rack stabilizer system", so this doesn't happen again. It is a 2" wide aluminum bar with four holes drilled into it. I routed stainless steel hose clamps thru the holes, to hold the bar on the rack. I glued and bolted leather strips so the bar does not damage chrome on the luggage rack. I also added leather on the ends of the bar so that they do not cut into the T-bag. I cut the bar just a bit shorter than the width of the T-bag. I then bought some "commercial grade" velcro to hold the bag to the aluminum bar.

Works well, and keeps the wider T-bag from dropping over the sport luggage rack which is basically too small. Looks good with the leather.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts