Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 DX and I want to put on a slick for when I go drag racing:moped: . Problem is that I can not find a slick that will fit on the wider rear wheel. Can someone help me out and let mw know if someone makes one. I don't care about brand of tire as long as it will fit on the wider rim. Rim size is 18in. X 8in. and the stock tire is of course a 240/40R18. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anybody????

·
Banned
15,036 Posts
Run a Goodyear or Hoosier drag tire instead. Call Summit racing or the like, measure the height of your tire, you already know the width you need, and see if they have one that will work. Not sure though since most are in the 15 and 16 inch rim size.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dean, I have been busy laying tile at the house for a week. Hope to be done soon though, then I can have some time to put on my Jug Huggers and clutch kit. I will be out there again, hopefully before the season is over with.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
will that work? I don't know much about slicks, will a slick for a car work on a motorcycle?

·
Banned
15,036 Posts
vrscd_special said:
will that work? I don't know much about slicks, will a slick for a car work on a motorcycle?
At the track, sure, but like I said, not sure if they make em' in 18inch.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
will have to look into it. Hopefully there is one for the 18" wheel, if the screamin eagle one would fit I would put it on there, but it won't. Thanks cheatin

·
JESUS IS LORD
469 Posts
I don't know of a slick that big but if you find one make sure you have a wheelie bar.:rofl2:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh yes, wheelie bar and slick will go together like butter and toast. I like my bike to much to even think about letting it flip over backwards.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, well I looked some tire manufacturers over and no one makes a slick that will fit my wheel width and size. So, will a rear wheel from a "D" model fit on my 07 DX (it still has the smaller rear wheel and tire). And if so what would I have to do to make it fit on there and line up the way it is supposed to?

·
Banned
15,036 Posts
vrscd_special said:
ok, well I looked some tire manufacturers over and no one makes a slick that will fit my wheel width and size. So, will a rear wheel from a "D" model fit on my 07 DX (it still has the smaller rear wheel and tire). And if so what would I have to do to make it fit on there and line up the way it is supposed to?
Depending on the difference between the hub widths, you may need some new spacers made. I'm not sure what the difference in hubs are between the 5.5 wheel and the 8.0 inch are.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
forget the slick and wheelie bar and stick with a good street tire.......
unless you're making HUGE horsepower, you'll be just fine ......
of course, I DETEST grocery carts.......hehehe

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will be making big hp. Either gonna do Nitrous or a turbo setup eventually. So I will need the slick and bar at the track.

·
Frank
4,317 Posts
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/specs/g-force-r1/3824.html

Take a look at these. They make several 18" sizes that should work on a 8.5" wide rim.

Personally, I think you are going the wrong way since the wide tire/rim combination will scrub off at least 10HP and you don't need that kind of a contact patch even with 170+HP bikes. I am running a 7" wide slick with a wheelie bar and so are the Destroyers and you don't see them having trouble putting the power to the ground.

Buy yourself a lightweight 5.5" wide rim and get yourself a 7" wide, 26" tall slick. That way you can just swap out rims when going from track to street trim.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thought about that one to. What would I need to make it fit my bike? And who has the parts? I agree I don't need that wide of a slick, but, I thought I would be able to just buy another wheel and put the slick on that one and just swap it when I go to the track. But if I can do the same with a smaller wheel and the slick then I will go for it.

·
Frank
4,317 Posts
Since the wheel whould have to be smaller than what the swingarm was normally used with, I would assume that custom spacers would have to be made for the wheel hubs.

If I had it here I could do it for sure.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
vrscd_special said:
I will be making big hp. Either gonna do Nitrous or a turbo setup eventually. So I will need the slick and bar at the track.

I disagree.....you won't "need" the slick and bar......

if you look at the quickest VRod's in the country, they are all running DOT tires and no bar....i.e. Project V, BadRod, etc.....not that they wouldn't run a little quicker with a bar and slick, but we turn the tire at least 3/4" on the rim every pass....with a M/T MCR2 DOT street tire....no traction issues.....

If you WANT to run a slick and bar, do what Frank said.....go with the little slick and a narrower wheel....keep the spacers handy and just switch them out before heading to the track.....

·
Registered
420 Posts
mikelewis said:
forget the slick and wheelie bar and stick with a good street tire.......
unless you're making HUGE horsepower, you'll be just fine ......
of course, I DETEST grocery carts.......hehehe
Wheelie bar gone bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
really, i just want to run in the 10 second range, bear in mind that I am in Denver, CO and we run a little slower up here. Do you think that I could get to that number without a slick and maybe just some street drag radials or even with just some nice standard street tires?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts