Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New here,
but looking for a bit of advise. turns out I have a crack in the front cyl wall. engine is already out. But I am looking for a good supplier for a sleeve and piston kit.

Should I do both pistons, or is it safe to just replace the damaged one

Also looking for a good vrod/harley machine shop in the southern California area. The valves were bent on the front head as well. Rear cyl/piston/head look brand new.

BTW, its a 2006

Thanks in advance!!!

·
"Vrod King"
923 Posts
Sound like a call for Scott at fitzgeraldmotorsports.com. Since it is apart, do both sleeves and add lease go up to 1250cc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sound like a call for Scott at fitzgeraldmotorsports.com. Since it is apart, do both sleeves and add lease go up to 1250cc.
If I go up, I think I have to machine the cases... was trying to avoid that...
would I need any other supporting mods?

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
If I go up, I think I have to machine the cases... was trying to avoid that...
would I need any other supporting mods?
For just 1250 no supported mods needed. I'd hunt down a replacement liner and just replace it. Path of least resistance and cost effective.
Ron

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
MoeMuny so did you determine what caused the piston to hit the valves ? Cam chain timing problem ? How fast was engine spinning when it hit ? Going 1250 doesn't require any other supporting mods like Ron said but you might be needing a new crankshaft, rods and engine cases if the cracked liner was caused by piston getting jammed into the cylinder liner by the contact with the valves - really doesn't sound too good to me to salvage that engine money wise - just buy or build another with known good parts as reusing strength compromised parts may not be the wisest thing to do - if so build a 1350cc - a great engine using a 1/4 stroke crank and 1250 stroker pistons and /or new rods - reliable and easily buildable if your cases, transmission etc. are good but rods and crank are damaged or suspect - (y) :cool:

·
Registered Insane
2003 VRSCA
256 Posts
New here,
but looking for a bit of advise. turns out I have a crack in the front cyl wall. engine is already out. But I am looking for a good supplier for a sleeve and piston kit.

Should I do both pistons, or is it safe to just replace the damaged one

Also looking for a good vrod/harley machine shop in the southern California area. The valves were bent on the front head as well. Rear cyl/piston/head look brand new.

BTW, its a 2006

Thanks in advance!!!
I have a pair of stock 1130cc take-out sleeves. They could be honed but otherwise not in bad shape. I could post some photos if you are interested in a good deal.

-Sean

·
Registered Insane
2003 VRSCA
256 Posts
I have a pair of stock 1130cc take-out sleeves. They could be honed but otherwise not in bad shape. I could post some photos if you are interested in a good deal.

-Sean
Ugh never mind. I just dug them out and they've gotten a bit rusty. If you think you can clean them up and think you want them I'll GIVE them to you, just pay postage.

-Sean

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ugh never mind. I just dug them out and they've gotten a bit rusty. If you think you can clean them up and think you want them I'll GIVE them to you, just pay postage.

-Sean
Ok thanks, This bike is low mileage, so I would prefer new, but I'll keep this in mind.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Google 22926-01K. Also contact Fritzgerald motor sports for take offs. They can be had.
Ron
Thanks, this led me to pn 22927-01K which looks to include the piston???

so far no luck locating either one, have a few emails out waiting a response. I also called Fitzgerald's but have not heard back from them either.

Thanks for all the help so far!!!
MoeMuny so did you determine what caused the piston to hit the valves ? Cam chain timing problem ? How fast was engine spinning when it hit ? Going 1250 doesn't require any other supporting mods like Ron said but you might be needing a new crankshaft, rods and engine cases if the cracked liner was caused by piston getting jammed into the cylinder liner by the contact with the valves - really doesn't sound too good to me to salvage that engine money wise - just buy or build another with known good parts as reusing strength compromised parts may not be the wisest thing to do - if so build a 1350cc - a great engine using a 1/4 stroke crank and 1250 stroker pistons and /or new rods - reliable and easily buildable if your cases, transmission etc. are good but rods and crank are damaged or suspect - (y) :cool:
So, it turns out there was a bolt in the cylinder, looking like the bike was sabotaged, its a long story so I wont get into it.
The bolt is too big to have passed through the valves so had to have been put in the spark plug hole plug replaced and then fired up. It could not have ran for more than a few seconds if that. But I got the bike cheap and new it had engine issues, found the cracked cylinder with a camera scope, then found the bolt sitting in the cylinder when I pulled the head. I just got the sleeve out tonight and the case is undamaged. Rebuild the head, new sleeve, piston, wrist pins, rod bearing and rings I should be good. Or so its looking, crossing my fingers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FYI, I found this...
DIY Sleeve Tool
I got the 4" plug today and it worked like a charm if any of you are interested!!! The 1133 is a 100mm bore which is 4"
So worth it!

·
Registered Insane
2003 VRSCA
256 Posts
I kinda thought you might be able to:

just release the tension slowly on the cams, like one turn at a time to all of the cam journal bolts.
But I took my motor in to Gowanda Harley-Davidson when I got to that point in my disassembly. They have a great V-Rod mechanic and they built me a fine motor.

I had been searching for that tool but couldn't find it OR the crank shaft locking pin. I had every other tool the manual called for but never got to use them. I tried to make a pin and it almost worked out but I broke it while trying to tap the threads onto it. I really wanted to build this myself but the next chore in line was going to be removing the cylinder sleeves and, thank you for that link above,

FYI, I found this...
but I didn't know how I was going to do it at that time. Anyway, live and learn...next time!

-Sean

·
Registered Insane
2003 VRSCA
256 Posts
If you know somebody in Europe who can send you that set of cam tools, these guys might have it but won't ship outside Europe.

·
Registered Insane
2003 VRSCA
256 Posts
I don't know if you need this, but here is the list of the parts that I had purchased and provided to Gowanda Harley-Davidson for my motor build. Some of them weren't part of what they did and I installed as I built the bike back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts