Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone out there know the dimensions of the rear wheel and swing arm for the bike in the attached picture? You cab also view it here:
http://www.detailedphysique.com/vrod.html

Also when modifying a vrod like this I assume belt size has to be decresed in width, a different pulley to acommodate the new belt, increase space under fender/ wheel well, spacers in front pulley to line up belt to rear pulley, remove belt guard , reaplce swingarm with a wider one, Did I forget anything ? I am looking at fabricating most of the parts myself with a hammer and some aluminum like Jesse James ( only kidding)
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
riverrattcom said:
Look like a ricks setup to me.
(Eurocomponets)
Its definitely not the ricks setup. The ricks set up has no similarity. The swing arm has grooves in it and is a completely different shape where as this one is more like the stock but bigger and deeper.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mjw930 said:
That looks like the bike that was at the PM trailer during bike week. My guess is it's PM's test mule. BTW, the tire bottoms out so bad that the tire had a 1/8" groove worn in it in the right side about 1" in from the sidewall on the tread.

I had a suspicion that would be the case... This is why I want to get the dimensions. Looks like the rear wheel is bigger than the front 19 inch wheel to fill in the wheel well. Where i ride the roads are pretty bumpy so I cannot even consider this big a rear wheel but I think a 220 - 230 may be a good size. I basically want to get as big as possible without problems in corners and bottoming out etc. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions with a 220 rear end to 240? How about the 200 metzeler on the stock rims?
JAmes

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Super Kaz said:
Chill James your a little Juiced up My Brother! ;) I have the First Ricks 240 kit in the westcoast and have had it on the Bike since I built it up with 300 miles!It's lowered in the front 1in. rear 2 in..I don't use shocks anymore because I run a Strut/Drag setup.It handle Very well before and Handles Very well Now.I race Ducati SuperBikes so I've dragged my Knees once or twice.The Handling with a Properly Setup 240 Rear is as Good as any nonprofessional would ever need!The Looks are what really did it for me though.Sizes depend on allot so that I can't help you with that yet. I run a 18/8.5 wide rear.What type of riding do you want to do?How Much do you weigh?How about you introduce your self and your bike first then as we get to know you a little better.Then you can Take On the Forum Ass Hole! :kaz:
Sorry, Didnt mean to be confrontational.Have wife stress right now and am running on little sleep. I appreciate the comment on the handling of the 240. There is some info on thatr in the general section but that summarises what I need to know.I come from a background of racing motorcross bikes since I was 9 started riding when i was seven. Owned a GSXR 750 before the V-Rod. Never would buy a crotch rocket again as my wrists cant handle it in the riding position required.)( i have carpel tunnel )
I weigh about 210 and am 6 foot . I did not buy the v-rod for heavy cornering but am looking into the stage three big bore kit from V-Mod or Zippers for quarter mile / drag power. At this time I am just in the process of a major mod of the following:
Staintune 2 into one Stainless steel pipe ( only one in North America.)
high air flow kit
moved gauges to air cleaner cover.
new drag bars and pegs
chrome imaster cylinders controls etc.
New paint
New wheels probably the forged agressors by custom wheels or the PM el dorados.
PCIII
Custom seat
Modified fenders front and rear
Shock mounted tail lights.
Side mount plate
Chromed calipers
Have to make a quick decision on the 240 kit. May end up doing it next year if not this season.
Take on? do you mean be the forum asshole? Or fight the forum asshole? Either way thanks for the offer, I' ll pass
Good luck with your racing sounds like alot of fun.
James

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Super Kaz said:
Hey we all have are Good Days and are Bad ones!I ment as in "I'm the AH!" for being so Mean and Cold to the New V-rodder! :rolleyes: If you plan to make That kind of Power you will need to go chain drive also.If you want to take it to the track the 240 will be great!Now the website thing? :diablo:

Dont worry I am not seventeen and though I think I still have feelings most people are not sure. Do you think it is beneficial to go to the chaindrive at 150 Hp? Or are you meaning for competitive drag racing? What kind of horsepower are you running to be competitive? I heard around 240 without nitrous? The web site thing? I feel like I am from another planet.
Thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
james1102 said:
Dont worry I am not seventeen and though I think I still have feelings most people are not sure. Do you think it is beneficial to go to the chaindrive at 150 Hp? Or are you meaning for competitive drag racing? What kind of horsepower are you running to be competitive? I heard around 240 without nitrous? The web site thing? I feel like I am from another planet.
Thanks
Is it ok to mount a 240 on the stock swing arm putting the rear wheel off by 2mm off centre? Has anyone experience with this setup?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Super Kaz said:
2mm is not much!I run the Ricks which is Very Off set but works like a dream! :kaz:
Excellent Thanks I think I have nearly made up my mind to go with the Ricks stuff. the only holdback I have is the bloody rivets on the wheels. I think they will be a pain in the ass to keep clean.
I thought the Ricks set up is the 2mm off centre?
JAmes

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
african paul said:
Yep, that looks like the same swingarm I got from UHS. This allowed me to keep the wheels true with a 240, this looks like a 280 though. For me the handling issue with the rod isn't the wheels, stock or otherwise it's a great handler for what it is, it's the inability to take a fast right hander without decking the pipes. In stock form I chewed the left side of the 180 up good & proper, but had a half inch 'gay line' on the right side. Even when the stock pipe was ground through, the exhaust mount itself starts to grind. I've tried 3 pipes so far, all have their merits & all scrape the deck without much encouragement.
A JM pipe is being sent today from the US, I am hoping that this will do the trick.
go to a 2 to one pipe. If mounted right you will get much more clearnance on the right side and be able to corner much better. I ordered a special pipe from Australia which is 2 to one. It is the only one in North America . There are other brands I have seen that are two to one Here is a picture of the pipe I have with extra clearance

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
james1102 said:
go to a 2 to one pipe. If mounted right you will get much more clearnance on the right side and be able to corner much better. I ordered a special pipe from Australia which is 2 to one. It is the only one in North America . There are other brands I have seen that are two to one Here is a picture of the pipe I have with extra clearance

Is the Ricks Wheels the only wheels you can mount a 240 size 8 x 18 size wheel in the back with the stock swingarm? I was told the Ricks has a special offset in the hub to accomodate the 240 size without having to modify the belt or the pulleys? Can anyone confirm this? If not what other wheels could be used to mount the 240 on the stock swing arm?
James

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Super Kaz said:
mattj,
have you seen his kit in person?Better yet do you have one or have you spent and significant time on his kit?Thats what I thought! :thumb: Who's was the First?There will always be some one cheaper but I believe you also get what you pay for! :kaz:
Im not neccessarily looking to get a 240 kit made out of tin foil to save fifty bucks!! I am more concerned about getting a certain look as this is the reason I am converting to the 240 kit in the first place. I looked on V- Mod and have seen lots of stuff but not the 240 kit. I will take another look. Still does not answer my question though. Does the Ricks Rim really have a special offset? If what you say is true I assume no. I am concerned about getting a set up that is as quality as the Ricks as well. But just a different look preferrably no rivets and chrome to match the rest of the chrome i am doing to my rotors etc.
thanks
SUper Kaz you are going to have a good race weekend th is weekend~! if you are racing you have alot of pent up aggression!! Give errr!!!!!
James
:biker:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
african paul said:
Thanks James, can you retry with the picture please?
Regarding pipes, check out these 2 threads in High Performance. 18hp power loss & TT dyno results. ;)

African Paul. Here you can see the solution to your problem. Not only will you get major horsepower where you need it ( off the line and mid range not at the top of the power band like most other pipes which is useless for most applications) you will have a stainless steel pipe which is guaranteed to outlast your bike. You can polish out any scratches to make it like new. Also You will be only the second person in North America to own one, I am the first. If you want PM me and i will let you in on how I got this pipe from a land far away...dont worry there is a PCIII map for this pipe. Another excellent feature, it has no baffle in it as you can see from the picture the pipe is completely hollow. This baby has a nice deep roar!
James

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.