Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone out there know the dimensions of the rear wheel and swing arm for the bike in the attached picture? You cab also view it here:
http://www.detailedphysique.com/vrod.html

Also when modifying a vrod like this I assume belt size has to be decresed in width, a different pulley to acommodate the new belt, increase space under fender/ wheel well, spacers in front pulley to line up belt to rear pulley, remove belt guard , reaplce swingarm with a wider one, Did I forget anything ? I am looking at fabricating most of the parts myself with a hammer and some aluminum like Jesse James ( only kidding)
Thanks

Attachments

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
I was told you can put the front pulley on backwards......

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
riverrattcom said:
Look like a ricks setup to me.
(Eurocomponets)
Its definitely not the ricks setup. The ricks set up has no similarity. The swing arm has grooves in it and is a completely different shape where as this one is more like the stock but bigger and deeper.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
That looks like the bike that was at the PM trailer during bike week. My guess is it's PM's test mule. BTW, the tire bottoms out so bad that the tire had a 1/8" groove worn in it in the right side about 1" in from the sidewall on the tread.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mjw930 said:
That looks like the bike that was at the PM trailer during bike week. My guess is it's PM's test mule. BTW, the tire bottoms out so bad that the tire had a 1/8" groove worn in it in the right side about 1" in from the sidewall on the tread.

I had a suspicion that would be the case... This is why I want to get the dimensions. Looks like the rear wheel is bigger than the front 19 inch wheel to fill in the wheel well. Where i ride the roads are pretty bumpy so I cannot even consider this big a rear wheel but I think a 220 - 230 may be a good size. I basically want to get as big as possible without problems in corners and bottoming out etc. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions with a 220 rear end to 240? How about the 200 metzeler on the stock rims?
JAmes

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
james1102 said:
I had a suspicion that would be the case... This is why I want to get the dimensions. Looks like the rear wheel is bigger than the front 19 inch wheel to fill in the wheel well. Where i ride the roads are pretty bumpy so I cannot even consider this big a rear wheel but I think a 220 - 230 may be a good size. I basically want to get as big as possible without problems in corners and bottoming out etc. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions with a 220 rear end to 240? How about the 200 metzeler on the stock rims?
JAmes
James,
You need to do a Little Homework and search Our Forums !All the question you are asking have been answered many times before.Not to come off so Ruff but with all the new Members joining we have to teach ya Up Right! :slap: ;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:welcome:

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
james1102 said:
I have spent at least 10 hours looking through the forums over the last couple of days . Yes there is some info on this but not on the handling characteristics of the bike if so then where?. There is info on the 240 kit and the orange bike I found in the forum gallery with a little info on PM releasing the Vrod phat wheel conversion but not on specifics like the actual wheel size used. really Being the owner of my own popular forum and having over ten thousand customers, I can relate to what you say although I handle it alot differently by directing people to the actual thread a question is answered. I actually appreciate new members and participation in the forum is what makes it a popular fun place to be even if someone god forbids misses something. really if it is such a pain in the ass having to deal with new members why do it.
Chill James your a little Juiced up My Brother! ;) I have the First Ricks 240 kit in the westcoast and have had it on the Bike since I built it up with 300 miles!It's lowered in the front 1in. rear 2 in..I don't use shocks anymore because I run a Strut/Drag setup.It handle Very well before and Handles Very well Now.I race Ducati SuperBikes so I've dragged my Knees once or twice.The Handling with a Properly Setup 240 Rear is as Good as any nonprofessional would ever need!The Looks are what really did it for me though.Sizes depend on allot so that I can't help you with that yet. I run a 18/8.5 wide rear.What type of riding do you want to do?How Much do you weigh?How about you introduce your self and your bike first then as we get to know you a little better.Then you can Take On the Forum Ass Hole! :kaz:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Super Kaz said:
Chill James your a little Juiced up My Brother! ;) I have the First Ricks 240 kit in the westcoast and have had it on the Bike since I built it up with 300 miles!It's lowered in the front 1in. rear 2 in..I don't use shocks anymore because I run a Strut/Drag setup.It handle Very well before and Handles Very well Now.I race Ducati SuperBikes so I've dragged my Knees once or twice.The Handling with a Properly Setup 240 Rear is as Good as any nonprofessional would ever need!The Looks are what really did it for me though.Sizes depend on allot so that I can't help you with that yet. I run a 18/8.5 wide rear.What type of riding do you want to do?How Much do you weigh?How about you introduce your self and your bike first then as we get to know you a little better.Then you can Take On the Forum Ass Hole! :kaz:
Sorry, Didnt mean to be confrontational.Have wife stress right now and am running on little sleep. I appreciate the comment on the handling of the 240. There is some info on thatr in the general section but that summarises what I need to know.I come from a background of racing motorcross bikes since I was 9 started riding when i was seven. Owned a GSXR 750 before the V-Rod. Never would buy a crotch rocket again as my wrists cant handle it in the riding position required.)( i have carpel tunnel )
I weigh about 210 and am 6 foot . I did not buy the v-rod for heavy cornering but am looking into the stage three big bore kit from V-Mod or Zippers for quarter mile / drag power. At this time I am just in the process of a major mod of the following:
Staintune 2 into one Stainless steel pipe ( only one in North America.)
high air flow kit
moved gauges to air cleaner cover.
new drag bars and pegs
chrome imaster cylinders controls etc.
New paint
New wheels probably the forged agressors by custom wheels or the PM el dorados.
PCIII
Custom seat
Modified fenders front and rear
Shock mounted tail lights.
Side mount plate
Chromed calipers
Have to make a quick decision on the 240 kit. May end up doing it next year if not this season.
Take on? do you mean be the forum asshole? Or fight the forum asshole? Either way thanks for the offer, I' ll pass
Good luck with your racing sounds like alot of fun.
James

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Hey we all have are Good Days and are Bad ones!I ment as in "I'm the AH!" for being so Mean and Cold to the New V-rodder! :rolleyes: If you plan to make That kind of Power you will need to go chain drive also.If you want to take it to the track the 240 will be great!Now the website thing? :diablo:

·
Making the UK Fatter
2,606 Posts
james1102 said:
Does anyone out there know the dimensions of the rear wheel and swing arm for the bike in the attached picture? You cab also view it here:

Also when modifying a vrod like this I assume belt size has to be decresed in width, a different pulley to acommodate the new belt, increase space under fender/ wheel well, spacers in front pulley to line up belt to rear pulley, remove belt guard , reaplce swingarm with a wider one, Did I forget anything ? I am looking at fabricating most of the parts myself with a hammer and some aluminum like Jesse James ( only kidding)
Thanks
The Swing arm looks like the one africa paul has on his bike, try a search on this. I'm sure it's German made

·
Ghost Rider
533 Posts
That is PM's mule. It has a Eurocomponents (UHS) rear swing arm. Pm is coming out with news on their kit in April (to be called the Phat VRod).

Juan

·
Registered
148 Posts
james1102 said:

Thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Super Kaz said:
Hey we all have are Good Days and are Bad ones!I ment as in "I'm the AH!" for being so Mean and Cold to the New V-rodder! :rolleyes: If you plan to make That kind of Power you will need to go chain drive also.If you want to take it to the track the 240 will be great!Now the website thing? :diablo:

Dont worry I am not seventeen and though I think I still have feelings most people are not sure. Do you think it is beneficial to go to the chaindrive at 150 Hp? Or are you meaning for competitive drag racing? What kind of horsepower are you running to be competitive? I heard around 240 without nitrous? The web site thing? I feel like I am from another planet.
Thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
james1102 said:
Dont worry I am not seventeen and though I think I still have feelings most people are not sure. Do you think it is beneficial to go to the chaindrive at 150 Hp? Or are you meaning for competitive drag racing? What kind of horsepower are you running to be competitive? I heard around 240 without nitrous? The web site thing? I feel like I am from another planet.
Thanks
Is it ok to mount a 240 on the stock swing arm putting the rear wheel off by 2mm off centre? Has anyone experience with this setup?

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
james1102 said:
Is it ok to mount a 240 on the stock swing arm putting the rear wheel off by 2mm off centre? Has anyone experience with this setup?
2mm is not much!I run the Ricks which is Very Off set but works like a dream! :kaz:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Super Kaz said:
2mm is not much!I run the Ricks which is Very Off set but works like a dream! :kaz:
Excellent Thanks I think I have nearly made up my mind to go with the Ricks stuff. the only holdback I have is the bloody rivets on the wheels. I think they will be a pain in the ass to keep clean.
I thought the Ricks set up is the 2mm off centre?
JAmes

·
Registered
30 Posts
240 swingarm

I am quite certain the swingarm on the pm bike is by speedpoint (germany).
eurocomponents is the distributor in the US. African Pauls bike looks to
have the same swingarm along with speedpoints 3 spoke wheels.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
On bike week show on American Thunder (Speedvision ) Last night at 10pm they interviewed PM and they said they will be selling this swingarm kit for the V-Rod, Dont know if they actually make it or farm it out, but it will be a PM Item.

:vrod:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts