Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've scoured the forum and am having a hard time finding a single sided swingarm for an "R." Anyone familiar with one that's available regularly? I had zeel's quote me a custome one, and at $12k that seems quite high...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was a NLC Vrod that originally made me want one. But I my "R" is an 06, and I'm unsure that will fit my set up. Having the mid foot controls is something I love and something that makes a lot of the after-market parts hard to get.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Problem is primarily due to shock mount locations. There is no room for a center mount single shock unless you were to extend arm by 6 inches or so.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a pretty trick piece but I still don't get why anyone would want to get rid of the OE swingarm, which is a pretty fine piece in its own right.
Really strongly debating any real custom pieces v. Keeping the bike original. I am really enjoying riding it, and the bike, while far from a traditional harley, is still classic in it's own right. I have the nice (but unfortunately disc'd) V&H exhaust, and if love to see more of my rims, until I come down on what I really want to do, I'm likely to only maintain, polish, and repair. The two-tone between the billet aluminum and the modest chrome on the bike bug the shit out of me though.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
To put a 12K swingarm on a 6K power cruiser bike is well, kinda crazy. I always say whatever floats your boat but hell, if you can afford it put 5K 24" wheels on your 1976 Pontiac LeMans well, you get the point. Just go buy a Ducati Diavel S factory pre-built and you'll have all that single sided stuff and more. The R Model IMHO is a bike built to rev to 9K rpm, go find some twisties and test your ability to twist the throttle, shift, apply the brakes and turn left and right without throwing your own A$$ in the ditch. Moto Chess. While your'e at it put a chick on the back and entertain her - the bike will do it. Any mods to an R should bring out these base advantages - it doesn't need quick change wheels - just build the engine a little, improve the suspension and ride it like it's begging to be ridden - fast and smooth, on curvy roads, often. That's where it delivers - unlike many H-D's or even other V Rods.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Really strongly debating any real custom pieces v. Keeping the bike original. I am really enjoying riding it, and the bike, while far from a traditional harley, is still classic in it's own right. I have the nice (but unfortunately disc'd) V&H exhaust, and if love to see more of my rims, until I come down on what I really want to do, I'm likely to only maintain, polish, and repair. The two-tone between the billet aluminum and the modest chrome on the bike bug the shit out of me though.
I like teh look of the '17 Street Rod wheels. Wonder if they'll bolt up? The adjustable rear shocks would be nice too. I was at the dealer this week but didn't see any to measure.

To put a 12K swingarm on a 6K power cruiser bike is well, kinda crazy. I always say whatever floats your boat but hell, if you can afford it put 5K 24" wheels on your 1976 Pontiac LeMans well, you get the point. Just go buy a Ducati Diavel S factory pre-built and you'll have all that single sided stuff and more. The R Model IMHO is a bike built to rev to 9K rpm, go find some twisties and test your ability to twist the throttle, shift, apply the brakes and turn left and right without throwing your own A$$ in the ditch. Moto Chess. While your'e at it put a chick on the back and entertain her - the bike will do it. Any mods to an R should bring out these base advantages - it doesn't need quick change wheels - just build the engine a little, improve the suspension and ride it like it's begging to be ridden - fast and smooth, on curvy roads, often. That's where it delivers - unlike many H-D's or even other V Rods.
I went from a 1098 and 2 other sport bikes at the time to the SR. The Diavel was my 2nd choice and went to dead last when I realized just like the 1098, timing belt changes would be in the mix every 4 years at $1k. Not to mention the dry clutches Suck on the street, even when lubing the clutch disks. The clutch is a VERY heavily pull as well and the sprage clutchs eat themselves (no fix, just keep replacing with the same crap) as well as the clutch pedal return springs breaking (again no fix and the cases have to be split).

It's really too bad that there aren't other sport twins like the Diavel that don't have "Transformers" bodywork.

Keith

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Yea, the V Rod has the looks, practicality for sure. There's a guy in Europe that built a single shock V Rod, put it where the fuel tank is and built a fuel tank above the airbox. Probably 600 man-hours and 40K plus the bike. Advantage ? It's unique and what ? And now the bikes more top heavy with a tank of gas. I looked at a new S/R yesterday at the dealer but those shocks are gonna be too soft on an R due to the weight difference. Better to buy a set built for the bike from Fox, Penske, Works, etc. that's what I will do after my engine build. Buy yourself a set of cool custom lighter wheels and call it good !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yep, HM closed doors a year ago. Unfortunately. True, a single sided swing looks cool as h.ll but as SRR pointing out you better spend your money upgrading suspension/exhaust/dyno session. Did it on mine SR, fun fun. 2 cents..
Damn, thanks though. I’d be doing suspension and am looking at the gsxr front fork conversion too because I got a crashed 1250 for $4000. If it gets too hard and expensive having to get custom bits made I might ride the rocket 3. It’s a nice looking bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts