Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the HD quick-release windshield on a 2009 VRSCF Muscle. While it keeps the wind off my torso, it directs the wind directly up into my face. Which is fine if I have a full-face helmet on, but I like to ride with a half helmet on warmer days. This simple mod/add-on directs the air up higher and over your head.

I purchased a couple of M6 male/female aluminum threaded standoffs from McMaster-Carr, in both 1" and 2" lengths. The 2" length really moves the windshield up, and functions great. I am still waiting on the 1" standoffs to see if they offer the performance with a more streamlined look.

Remove your handlebar bolts, thread in standoffs, thread QD bolts into the standoffs, and pop your windshield back into place. I had to rotate the pegs a bit for the right fit.

It doesn't look horrible, but I will probably turn the hex down so it's mostly round, and will probably countersink where the bolts thread in. For a minimal investment it really improves the riding experience. I'll post some pics once I can get some daylight shots outside of my messy garage.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,222 Posts
There may be a more elegant solution with the same result.

Go look at the parts for Budman's windshield fit kit.

He has extensions there that screw between the windshield post (the rod with the ball on the end) and the shield itself.

Does the same thing (I think, since you didn't post any pics), looks like it came that way from H-D.

R.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool! I thought about that as well, but didn't think someone would offer that. This was my "quick fix" to test it out and see if it was worth improving upon. Maybe it will help someone else. I think shipping cost more than the actual parts! Fortunately I was buying some other stainless steel bolts for the bike as well.

·
Registered
249 Posts
As for the busman kit...you’ll need the busman riser. Here’s the pic of the buman’s . His kit says in raiser the shield 1.5”(which is better than stock)
You can see inspirboms’s stand offs makes the shield more upright....defecting more

·
Registered
249 Posts
^ that’s the Budmans kit? Nice. Seems to do the same thing while looking nicer.

Bombs approach works for ppl that don’t have Budman risers And costs $15 bucks. It’s a cheap fix to the horrible position the oem shield

·
Departed the Fix.
5,222 Posts
^ that’s the Budmans kit? Nice. Seems to do the same thing while looking nicer.

Bombs approach works for ppl that don’t have Budman risers And costs $15 bucks. It’s a cheap fix to the horrible position the oem shield
It's the Budman's "Special" extenders-- He made them up as a special one-off; they're longer than the standard ones.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My post below offers just an opinion... not a solution. This is a great solution irrespective of my opinion below.

The key difference, which I think hasn't been pointed out yet, is the angle of deflection.
If you compare this solution to Budman's, from the side, you'll notice that this bolt screw-on solution sits the shield more upright than stock/Budman's. On the other hand, Budman's bar's extension maintains the same as set by the front forks and looks "one" with the rest of the bike.

What does this really mean/result in? Well, an upright will offer more resistance to wind than the one at an angle. More resistance = more power needed to attain the same speed/pickup... less top speed/pickup... etc.

BTW, I've got the Budman's bar as well, and the replacement connectors are fantastic - look exactly like the original (only longer... and noone can tell the difference)... yet maintaining the angle of the front forks all the way up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.