Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Ted
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my bike in to have the oil changed to Syn3 yesterday by request of the MoCo. When I got her home, I decided to check the oil level. When I unscrewed the dipstick, I noticed silicone was put on the treads of the dipstick. Needless to say, some of that crap ended up in the engine when I took the dipstick out. Question: Does anyone know why HD would put this stuff on the dipstick? I think it's to make a better seal but I don't understand why. Will this stuff do any harm since it's now in the engine? Not much fell in but I'm still concerned. Also, my bike runs at a average temp of 201 degrees and I'm thinking this may be a little hot. Anyone know for sure?

Ted

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
The silicone in a very small amount should hurt nothing. The temp seems a bit warm, but how are you checking it. According to the manual the fans should come on at 203 and shut off at 194, if you have added a gauge you can check the gauge accuaracy with these specs.

Max

·
Ted
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Max,

The temp readings were taken by our local HD shop. Sounds like the temp may be within range but as you say, could be running a little warm. I'll find out tonight why they put the silicone on the dipstick. Good to hear it won't harm anything.

Ted

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
If 201F was running in a shop without airflow that is normal. I'm sure the silicone was to keep the threads smooth or that would be my guess.

Max

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I might have misunderstood you since I use silicone paste, silicone lube and silicone sealer every day. Are you saying that they put sealer on the dip stick?

Max

·
Ted
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They just put it on the threads of the dipstick. My first thought was for a better seal. No oil was leaking out around the dipstick so this is why I want to know why they would do this. I can also think of better ways to make a seal if this was their intent.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
If the intent was to seal the threads then liquid Teflon is the best thing for that. I use that on my v-rod drain plug since it has no seal and tends to seep.

Max

·
Ted
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The sealer they used was clear and gummy in texture. When I unscrewed the dipstick, it wadded up in long strings. Don't know what kind they used.

·
Ted
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Max,

Turns out the MoCo wanted the engine "sealed". My local shop gave me the bike back too soon because the silicone hadn't set yet. They neglected to inform me of this effort. The dipstick no longer screws in and out. It's in permanently (at least I can't get it out anymore).

Thanks for trying to solve these mysteries for me.

Ted

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Another reason to do my own oil changes. I prefer to be able to check my oil.

Max

·
Ted
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right on!!! But this effort wasn't only to keep me out, but anyone else trying to tamper with the engine including our local HD shop.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
:rofl3:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
ihringert, believe me I was not laughing at you but at them for that story.

Max

·
Pat's Fan
363 Posts
Is it me or does anone else thing that sealing the dipstick is the most moronic thing they have heard today. How the hell are you supposed to check the oil. One of thing things i remember reading was to check the oil at every fill up. Now i may not do it at every fill up but i do check it quite often!

·
MARK
644 Posts
I am reading this and saying to my self WTF???
This sounds as stupid as a "butt plug" after eating bran.....

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
:rofl3:

·
Ted
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You are right, this is stupid but just one more hoop the MoCo is making me jump thru. I've had the engine rebuilt once already now I'm trying to get a new engine. It's been a real pain in the a$$. Can't keep oil in the SOB!!!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts