Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

My '08 VRSCDX has developed a strange problem.

If I leave the bike for more than a few hours then despite showing as in neutral as soon as I try to start it I get a Sidestand down message on the digi display.

Raising the stand will allow the bike to start but I cannot then put the stand back down without it cutting out (neutral light still showing). UNLESS i pop it into first, roll forward slightly and then back into neutral. Only then can I drop the sidestand again and do my pre-ride prep with loggage etc.

This only occurs once the bike has stood for a few hours. I've changed the sidestand sensor already and it hasn't solved it.

I'm lost any ideas anyone?

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
look to see if your throwing any codes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was throwing up a sidestand error code but when I replaced the sensor that stopped appearing.

Driving me batty.

:banghead:

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
I didn't know any V-Rods had a stand sensor. I wish mine did.
These aren't used on US domestic models but are required in Europe.

I don’t think I'd want one (it’s just another thing to go bad) but you could add one for about $50 if you have a 2008 or newer VRSC.

The parts you'd need are:
  1. the JSS (jiffy stand sensor), 50277-08A
  2. a screw with 6mm x 1mm pitch threads to attach it to the frame
  3. 3 Molex pin terminals (72169-07)
The connectors for this sensor are located under the left side radiator cover on 2008 and newer models. US models should have a dummy connector in place of the sensor wire connector that the HDI models have. The JSS sensor wires should be installed in the connector as follows:
  • red wire in position 1
  • white wire in position 2
  • black wire in position 3

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
is it possible you are showing a false neutral? There have been times that my bike showed neutral, (usually when parked on a slight incline), but it wouldn't roll forward or backwards as the tranny was still part way in gear. Once I pulled in clutch and rolled bike a few inches, and put it in neutral again all was well.
This seems to coincide with the oil being near the end of its life cycle.

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
These aren't used on US domestic models but are required in Europe.

I don’t think I'd want one (it’s just another thing to go bad) but you could add one for about $50 if you have a 2008 or newer VRSC.

The parts you'd need are:
  1. the JSS (jiffy stand sensor), 50277-08A
  2. a screw with 6mm x 1mm pitch threads to attach it to the frame
  3. 3 Molex pin terminals (72169-07)
The connectors for this sensor are located under the left side radiator cover on 2008 and newer models. US models should have a dummy connector in place of the sensor wire connector that the HDI models have. The JSS sensor wires should be installed in the connector as follows:
  • red wire in position 1
  • white wire in position 2
  • black wire in position 3
Thank you very much for that information. My next mod!
I don't know why, but I can't seem to remember to put that damn stand up when I get on the bike. Sooner or later, it's going to take me down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem Solved.

Well it appears that it was the battery which was causing it by fluctuating it's voltage.

I noticed it initially as it wasn't starting up as robustly as previously and I'd had to charge it twice in as many weeks. A quick check showed that although after charge it would look fine as soon as you fire it up a few times the charge and voltage droppped dramatically.

I replaced it and voila, everything is fine again, no false reports or sidestand being down etc.

Thanks everyone. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts