Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i promised to post pics when i got it done, so if it works here it is. i know i dont have any other flame designs on the bike, i couldnt refuse once i started making it. it did take awhile to make the plate section because it felt rather heavy, so after it was shaped i decided to hollow most of it out, should of done that first, but it did remove alot of the weight. also i welded the mounting bracket to the rear of the plate instead of bolting it on, only because i never saw one up close, only pictures. also used three white led`s to light up the plate, not the Dr`s quality lites but they do the job in this case. so now this project is done, time for something new, got to find some chrome screen, tired of cleaning out the radiator. still trying to decide on a skull design for the horn cover, i`ll get round to it sometime over the winter. Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
974 Posts
First , GREAT JOB !
Now, how does the plate light up at night ? I see no wires.
Looks sweet.
BobT

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here`s the plate lit up on the workbench, the wires run behind the plate, tru a small tube tack welded to the bottom of the flame bracket, then the wires run inside a plastic tube( actually 1/8 vacum line from a car) fastened to the upper belt gaurd, then runs up behind the shock and under the fender, it seemed to be the best way to hide the wire without worrying about it getting loose and entangeled in the belt( i`ve seen some run around the inside of the swingarm with stickon wire holders). the dogs ass was just unbolted, after removing the seat and rear fender, then i drilled 3 holes in the brackets that are used for the saddle bags, 2 holes for the turn signal bolts and 1 for the wires to run upward and under the fender. also there is a big gap left where the stock license light was and the inner fender support, so i took some 1/8 thick aluminum angle and cut it to the contour of the back edge of the fender, then bolted it to the steel fender support using 2 factory holes, this just keeps mud or rain water from entering between the fender and inner fender. thanks for all the comments.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is probly the only one i`ll make, takes way to much time! no cnc machine here just common hand tools, maybe rmd would copy the flame design and add it to their side mount if there was enough interest. thanks again for the comments.

·
Registered
424 Posts
You did all that with just handtools? Impressive.

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
would love to see the skull horn cover. would be interested in purchasing if it came out well. it would go with my theme.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts