Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the side stand is weakening and/or about to begin failing is there a way to isnpect it and tell for sure? Lately if I sit on the V while doing something quick like putting a helmet or gloves on I can swear the bike is leaning.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Diamond Lil said:
Lately if I sit on the V while doing something quick like putting a helmet or gloves on I can swear the bike is leaning.

I've noticed the same thing.......although it could be caused by my massive intake of taco bell.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Lil the bushings wear out that go in the hinge pin. I am on my third set of them. Make sure to catch them when just the bushings wear out or it will start to wear on the frame. I sell the bushings in the forum store.

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Max. Is it something someone with mechanical inclinations and an ability to use tools without breaking things can do or since I don't do oil changes and am going to get one done should I have them do it? I'm thinking that the service cost and parts cost probably make our store much more worthwhile. Add to that support for all you do here and it's a no-brainer if I can do it.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I just changed mine a couple of months ago but I can probably do a video on it to help others. It takes about ten minutes if you have a jack to change the bushings. Really pretty simple and needed to keep the jiffy stand working properly.

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a craftsman jack and a reasonable set of tools and if you are in the mood would love to see one of your videos.

·
Don't think, ride.
752 Posts
Max said:
I just changed mine a couple of months ago but I can probably do a video on it to help others. It takes about ten minutes if you have a jack to change the bushings. Really pretty simple and needed to keep the jiffy stand working properly.
Max, I would love to see a vid on this. I am about to change out my Jiffy Stand and need a little assurance that I am doing it right. Thanks!

·
Scott
492 Posts
Max said:
That would be great!!! Getting that spring back on was a bit_h for me and took nearly an hour to get it back on. What's the trick?

·
The Hawk
3,895 Posts
The spring can be difficult to get back on. The trick is to put some washers or coins in between the coils of the spring while it is stretched open before removing it. Get as many in as you can, hold the washers with a pair of pliers to push them between the coils. That makes it much easier to replace the spring when you get the bushings back in.

Mike

·
Scott
492 Posts
Elgavilan said:
The spring can be difficult to get back on. The trick is to put some washers or coins in between the coils of the spring while it is stretched open before removing it. Get as many in as you can, hold the washers with a pair of pliers to push them between the coils. That makes it much easier to replace the spring when you get the bushings back in.

Mike
Genius!!! Absolute Genius!!!

·
Not Dead Yet
1,172 Posts
Just ordered my bushings from the store. Thanks, Max and thanks for the "spring tip" Mike.

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Mine failed, replacement was done, then the cotter pin got eaten up. I ended up using a shouldered 3/8 by 3.25" fastener that I chopped down, and 2 small bushings with a lock washer and a nut with lok-tite. The nut is on the top side to insure I can see it is holding. I see it and think I need to find an acorn nut, as the nut will only thread so far and can be torqued without binding the assembly. You could use a Gr8 nylok not as well and not need lok-tite.

Since the original failure occured the frame is beyond use of the OEM designed assemnbly where I can get any time out of it. I was replacing cotter pins every 3 weeks and seeing the bushings getting eaten up. $ot wanting to spend the $ on the frame rail for new to end up with the same problem I went the above route.

I did use the bushings that the assembly requires, the only thing replaced is the clevice pinthat requires a cotter pin to lock everything together.

The side stand works well, the bike sits a little higher as the fastener does not allow the weight of the bike to go over like the original assembly but it does go over far enough to do what it is required to do.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Elgavilan said:

Mike
that is a damn good idea..........:plause: :plause:

·
The Hawk
3,895 Posts
Hey, don't thank me guys, I learned right here on the forum, just passing it on.

Mike

·
Registered
288 Posts
Max said:
How often do these wear out? What the jiffy stand gets sloppy? Thanks Dar

·
Registered
266 Posts
is this some they might have fixed this on the 2008 models .. i wonder if it would be possible to get a center stand on the bike some how i just don't trust the kids running around in my garage to not knock it over

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
foraker1sg said:
How often do these wear out? What the jiffy stand gets sloppy? Thanks Dar
Mine is an 02 and I am on my third set of bushings now. One set was worn all the way through before I started checking them. And it is the bottom bushing that probably wears on an average of about three times as much as the top. So a set of bushings can last you a while if you just replace the bottom one that has the most wear. Just don't let them wear all the way out or they wear on the frame.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts