Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at a side mount for my license plate and am curious about the wiring for the light. grCustoms folks say to route it through the two plugs i the swing arm then up to your connections above the fender.

On a A model there is a inner and outer fender so you can route the wire through the swing arm then between the two fenders with minimal wire exposure to road debris etc.
On the X however there is no inner fender so how does one limit the exposure of the wires to crap coming from the road. Even rain water will pelt those wires. Any road debris will damage them without any protection.

Question then becomes "How does one protect the wires once they exit the swing arm?" There are no channels I can see to route them through or even any place to hook them to.

Also "Will I have to remove that big a$$ of a tire to do this?"

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just put that one on my DX and I put that shrink tubing on the wires from the back on the plate mount all the way to the connections under the fender. I came up the back of the shock and up between the fender and secured it to the inner fender. The shrink tubing gives it more protection.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Here is what I did.

I routed wires through the swingarm up just in front of the swingarm pivot bolt (underside of swingarm). I then used woven conduit over the wire on both ends of the swingarm. I routed the conduit up the fuel cell up under the seat. I used GOOP Marine contact adhesive to adhere the conduit to the fuel cell. The marine stuff is one of the best glues for this type of work. Just spread a little along one side of the coduit and tape it down to the fuel cell. 24 hours later it will be stuck 'like glue' :D. If you ever want to remove the wires you can but trust me they are on real good and will not come off unless you work them AND the goop can be completely removed with some elbow grease.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Oh, and you do not need to remove the tire - although it is tight getting your hands in to glue down the conduit; but, I did it.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Hey RODent, will that GOOP stick wires to chromed aluminum?

·
Registered
519 Posts
V Ride said:
Hey RODent, will that GOOP stick wires to chromed aluminum?
I am going to say probably. Go buy some at Home Depot - it is under $5.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts