Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I gotta go!
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys... and girls quick one. In the installtion directions for LM cycles side mount it says to find a 12v/6v source. Anyone know a good one for this. It's to attach the led lights for the side mount. No brake light, just whites for the license. thanks in advance!

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
Good guestion. I am running my side mount with no light right now for that very reason. I think most people are using the tail light as a source of power, running the wire and keeping it concealed is the hard part. I saw where someone ran the wire through the swingarm, drilled holes in it. I think I will just take my chances on running without one. Does anyone make a light that will run on a lithium ion battery?

·
I gotta go!
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone with a sidemount license plate that is lit have any suggestions?

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
Just splice it into the hot wire for the tailight that runs on the left side under the seat (works for me)

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
the taillight is your best bet actually... there are already holes in the swingarm and its not too bad to fish the wire through it either. On the inside of the swingarm right before the shock there is a hole and the other in up near the fulcrum. You can run it into the rear out the front and straight up under the seat with litle to no visual evidence of this. Then just remove the rear pillion and you can tap into the taillight wiring at the connector.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
BTW, even running it through the swing arm, it should take any more than an hour to do... really more like a 30 minute job tops.

·
I gotta go!
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help... Hopefully I can make it happen. Y'all stick around just in case. Thanks!

·
I gotta go!
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
can I take the one, shock bolt out without jacking the bike up or do you think that I should use my lift?

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
you wont need the lift or the shock bolt out most likely...

you can run a generic wire from front to back.,,,, then reach into the back hole with a hook, or thin set of needlenose pliers to grab the wire..

then tape the wire to your set of wires for your led and pull it back through.

·
knit whit
1,413 Posts
If I recall correctly one of the plugs on my DX has a black, red, blue, and orange wire. I tapped into the orange wire for my led on my sidemount.

·
I gotta go!
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i got the mod done yesterday. I'll try to post pics soon. I jacked it up, pulled out the shock bolt, put on the new side mount, ran the wires kind of up the shock springs, spliced the side mount light into the the original wire that lit the license plate on the dogs arse. Took an hour just like you guys proposed. I'm a little slow... Relatively easy. All for the $69 side mount w/ led lights from LMCycles. I think that it looks pretty good. You guys can let me know once i post some pics. Thanks for all of your help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts