Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help here...have an '06 D and just purchased an LED Side Mount License plate bracket...there are 3 wires on it - Red, Blue and Black...I guess the questions are pretty simple:

(1) What type/gauge wire do I splice onto these to extend them?

(2) Where do the wires get run to?

(3) What wires (specifically) do they get tied into?

(4) Any recommendations on how to do it?[/I][/B]

I am somewhat "handy" with the bike just so afraid to touch anything because it only has 800 miles on it and I don't want to jeapordize the warranty...or screw up the bike.

Any advice (step by step) anyone could provide would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Wore Out Woodworker
1,620 Posts
Do you have a brake light with the plate? You will have to tap into your brake/running light wiring harness. Black will go to black then the other you will have to figure out yourself. The orange looking wire in the harness is the break the other (I think its red) is the running light. Hook black up (ground) then test the other wires with your key on. You'll figure it out. Make sure you solder and heat shrink back the wires after you get it correct. If you have any problems PM me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks SawDawg. It does have a brake light included. With regards to the wiring harness, how do I "tap" into it? Do I pull the wires out? Do I cut them? When I solder them together, do I then reinsert them into the wiring harness? With regards to the heat shrink, do I do that for the entire run (from the plate to the harness)? Is heat shrink something I can buy?

Thanks for all your help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts