Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking around for some different side covers for my DX. Because black with the silver grating right by the Air Box cover drives me nuts when basically everything else right there is black. I've been considering just painting them black and I may yet. But I've seen some that are louvered. But I have yet to actually find someone that makes/sells them other than a few in the classified section on here.(That I always seem to be to slow on getting to).

So what are my options that you guys know of? And are they pretty much universal across the vrod line?

·
Registered
878 Posts
I painted my silver mesh black and did the same to my coolant hose cover.... I think it looks pretty good. I just sent off some smooth ones and the chrome smooth coolant hose cover HD sells.. Their all going to be black, I hope it looks killer, will post pics when I get them back.

·
VRSCD
1,012 Posts
The ones on the D are louvered. Two tabs on the bottom and one bolt on the top one size fits all. However, I think HD changed the formula for the matte paint from a denim to flat black so if you don't have a Vivid Black bike good luck matching your paint.

·
The Snuggly Ranger
172 Posts
If you are up for painting these worked out well.
Vented Chrome Side Covers for VRSC™ Models
Part 66331-05

I painted mine black and poped out the mesh inside and color matched it to the red accents in the bike.

If you want a picture PM me our e-mail and I can send one to you

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I painted my silver mesh black and did the same to my coolant hose cover.... I think it looks pretty good. I just sent off some smooth ones and the chrome smooth coolant hose cover HD sells.. Their all going to be black, I hope it looks killer, will post pics when I get them back.
Just wondering how you went about painting it, I'm assuming taped it off and just spray painted it? Or was there more to it than that?

If you are up for painting these worked out well.
Vented Chrome Side Covers for VRSC™ Models
Part 66331-05

I painted mine black and poped out the mesh inside and color matched it to the red accents in the bike.

If you want a picture PM me our e-mail and I can send one to you
Those are the HD ones you can buy I'm assuming? I don't know why they just don't release those in black. :blahblah:

Also PM sent

·
Trouble Maker
1,078 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
I popped out the mesh, sprayed it black then sprayed a couple clear coats on it......

I agree, that does look good with the red..... First covers ive seen that are painted any color besides black that look decent.

·
The Snuggly Ranger
172 Posts
Thanks guys. Since the bike has the red tire stripe on the tire and red Harley Davidson logo I made that my accent color. I had the mesh painted by Cutting Edge Illusions since they had the perfect match and they did my custom paint. I used Rustoleum Professional/Industrial strength for the outer portion of the covers and it has held up 100%.

Here are a couple more pics
photo1.JPG

photo2.JPG

photo3.JPG

photo4.JPG

photo5.JPG

photo6.JPG

·
Trouble Maker
1,078 Posts
Sweet bike. I really like it. Jim

·
Registered
583 Posts
i painted my screens in the airbox and all screens orange

·
The Snuggly Ranger
172 Posts
Acoolhandluke, I cant remember all of the mods that I did most of them are basic. If they did not come black then I had them painted or I painted them myself. Here are a couple:
Rinehart 2-1
Arnot Air Shocks
Progressive front Shocks
Custom paint by Cutting Edge Illusions (Ranger Tab, Racing stripes through entire bike and Ghost flames)
Air Ram Airbox Cover
Side Covers
Sportster Shock Boots
Black Vinal on Upper Forks
Rear and Swing Arm bolt covers
Fork Tube Covers
Rizoma Mirrors
Sportster Handlebars
Diamond Black Grips
Diamond Black shift pedal
Diamond Black Front Fork bolt cover
V-Guage Lite
Modified Dog Ass to LED strip
Heavy Cycles Stage Two tail light Smoked w/ red LED's (NOT PICTURED)
PC III
LEDs IN Air box that doubel as turn signals
Kurakan Switch Blades
Turn signal relocation kit
Contoured Chrome Headlamp Bracket
Mesh inserts in Air Scoops
Topless with equal air stacks
Painted all bolts and engine lines (NOT PICTURED) with Testors Flat and Gloss paint markers (HUGE DIFFERENCE IN LOOK OF BIKE) and cheap

I am sure that I forgot something. If yall have any questions let me know.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
Great looking bike. Have you thought about red accent lines in the grooves on the tank? Might be too much of a good thing, but might also make the tank less noticeable and carry the theme across that large area. Just a thought.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Anybody with a flat black dx paint theirs? Paint used? results. Would love to paint them, but dont want something that looks shoddy

·
The Snuggly Ranger
172 Posts
Interesting idea, but I like my tank the way it is. I never notice it and I really dont want the eye to be drawn to it. Plus I was also always told that an accent color should amount to an odd number. The two tire stripes, the side covers, the led strip and the air box make my 5.

·
Registered
878 Posts
My new smooth side covers & coolant hose cover:
im selling the other set too if anyones interested.....Will post in classifieds also.

Attachments

·
Trouble Maker
1,078 Posts
Do you still have the coolant hose cover? Thanks Jim

1 - 20 of 23 Posts