Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find if there is supposed to be a rubber grommet on the side cover where the throttle cable passes through. Have asked several people no one can tell. My side cover is eating through the idle and throttle cable. Any insight would be appreciated. Also is it safe to drive the bike with the idle cable broken?

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
My cover has no grommet, but mine is a DX. I would replace your broken cable, but I have ridden many bikes with only 1 throttle cable

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I am fixing it but the only place i can find the cable is in NC. And won't be here till late this week at best. My Bike is in a parking lot and need to get it home. wasn't sure if it could be ridden. looks like there should be something there to keep it from rubbing. It's not where it broke but noticed it when I was looking at it.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
send a PM to Sharkey at V-shop, he can get it to you much more quickly.
Sidecovers: No, there is not a grommet on the side covers. I added them to my bike though.

·
Dean
775 Posts
You can also add a corrugated sleeve protector to cover your cables. There is a slit that runs down the side of them....so they slide right over your cables.

I will try to add a pic of one later.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Go to the electrical dept in Homedepot or Lowes or Harbor freight and get some heat shrink. Slide it over the cable and warm it up till it shrinks in place, just enough to make it fit and be evenly shrunk. A small piece of door edge protector on the side cover will help. Also make sure you cable route is the easy and kind to the cable.

If just to get home to fix this, just take off the cover till then.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Yes, you can ride it home without the return cable. Dr Dave likes to run without one, but I would replace it. Figure out what chewed it up. I have no wear on mine, with no sleeve or padding. Fit that, and then a bit of foam tape to cover any sharp edges. Joe

·
Premium Member
11,366 Posts
There is plenty of room on my bikes so the cables do not rub on the side cover. May be a routing problem. There are quite a few electrical cables as well as the two throttle cables running behind that cover. The cables should all come out the top of the cover at the indent in the cover just to handle just this situation.

What year and model bike you talking about?

·
Retired, Not SLOW!
6,000 Posts
I'm Confused (a not too uncommon occurrence) ...

... because my cables do not run "through" the side covers; through that big "notch" and behind, yes, but not through; heck, they don't even touch the top "corner" of the notch. Did someone perhaps install taller bars and reroute the cables through the RH cover rather than getting longer cables?

(Yes, that is today's collection of pollen!)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,366 Posts
... because my cables do not run "through" the side covers; through that big "notch" and behind, yes, but not through; heck, they don't even touch the top "corner" of the notch. Did someone perhaps install taller bars and reroute the cables through the RH cover rather than getting longer cables?

(Yes, that is today's collection of pollen!)
What shows in the picture is correct.
MAybe its time to smooth off the rough edges on the cover.

·
Retired, Not SLOW!
6,000 Posts
What shows in the picture is correct. Except for the pollen - AaahhhhhCHHOOOOO!!!
MAybe its time to smooth off the rough edges on the cover.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Appreciate all the help. Out of town so will check when I get home but don't think there is a notch in the frame as it appears to be in the picture. There is one in the cover which is where they were but the edges are cutting the vinyl. Not sure what broke the cable yet but am replacing both cables so I want to fix it before i change them. Thanks again for the help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts